Experiences with Ephebopus cyanognathus?

LittleT

Arachnopeon
Hello,

I have always admired the Ephebopus genus, Ephebopus cyanognathus in particular. I'm currently considering owning one but I was just wondering what are people's experiences with keeping them? General temperament? Predictability? Adult size?

Thank you.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
This is a great species to own! The colors are incredibly bright, talk about amazing iridescence, the blue is electric bright! However, as they mature, it fades to metallic purple shade, as do the leg bands fade a bit as well.

This species is out, but also a pet hole too. I've owned a few of these. They are quick to retreat to their burrow, however, if they feel they are too far from burrow, they will bolt up the container and take off as well. They are quite fast IME, their unpredictability makes them similar if not a bit more advanced than a GBB.

Their urticating setae are located on their palps, NOT abdomen >> https://www.researchgate.net/public...bopus_Fine_structure_and_mechanism_of_release

The key to providing them security is keeping them in a large enough container that allows them to burrow deeply. AFs run about 5" if I recall correctly. They are a spindly species, not bulky at all.

They are a very nervous species! Their legs are out, and you gently move their container and they retreat instantly. They are very good eaters, not as good as GBBs, but readily eat.

I've not owned E. murinus but similar behavior to E. cyanognathus.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Viper69 is right.

I can tell you that they are really, really fast, they need to burrow so offer those inches of moist substrate, especially to slings, more delicate.

At the moment i have only a 0.1 E.murinus, i see her always (like now) waiting for food at the top of her burrow, like she's "sitting" on a throne... but only at late day/night time of course.

I've seen her perform a 30 cm "coast to coast" in 2 seconds once after a cage upgrade. I don't view now those as a particular defensive genus, but definitely nervous.

Amazing, if you ask me :)

MorganRose

Arachnopeon
I was lucky enough to get a adult female around two months ago.
Brilliant species to own for sure, mine has not settled in yet but it's still early days.
Definitely a more nervous species and mine is a right grump.

Michael Pintal

Arachnopeon
Hello,

I have always admired the Ephebopus genus, Ephebopus cyanognathus in particular. I'm currently considering owning one but I was just wondering what are people's experiences with keeping them? General temperament? Predictability? Adult size?

Thank you.
I just picked up 2 slings at .5, make sure the substrate is damp (not drenched), I just had my first stuck molt on a couple of legs and I just have to wait, as far as temperament, they are old world so they can be nasty, but they burrow down so you won't see them much, but worth getting along with a chilobrachys electric blue, they have the bright blue fangs also and bright blue legs, good luck.

FinnMosin

Arachnopeon
I just picked up 2 slings at .5, make sure the substrate is damp (not drenched), I just had my first stuck molt on a couple of legs and I just have to wait, as far as temperament, they are old world so they can be nasty, but they burrow down so you won't see them much, but worth getting along with a chilobrachys electric blue, they have the bright blue fangs also and bright blue legs, good luck.
These are new world species. The "new world" has nothing to do with anything other than where they are native. New world being North, "Central" and South America. New world = the americas.