Expensive discovery...

Laba-Laba

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I've spent thousands of dollars on all sorts of exotic species over the last year or so only to find that Avic avic is STILL my favourite T. And i prefer my RCF Rosea to nealy all of the others exotics i've ever had / or still got. I mean i've had some BEAUTIFUL spiders; Blue fangs, Cobalt blues, Singapore blues, Ornamentals, etc etc, yet my RCF G. rosea impresses me more - she is gentle, stunning coloured, active and always visible. Can't really explain why i feel that way, i just do.

Anyone else spent a fortune only to find they love the most common species?

Rochelle

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yup. :)

Out of all the T's we keep ~ plain old "Phil" the B.albopilosum is still my favorite.
Go figure.

WARPIG

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I have T's that range from $10-$600, and my favorites are my avis. Can't have enough sp of avis to satisfy me.

PIG-

jme

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
we have 4 rosies 3 curly hairs and lots of avics to go with all the others so ya the common ones are still my fiances favorite :rolleyes:

bigdog999

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I love my OBTs, probably because I've had them since they were tiny.

arachyd

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I love the name Phil! It never occurred to me as a T name. How did you come up with it? I haven't made up my mind which Ts I like best but the G. aureostriata (I will NOT call them pulchripes it sounds like a disease or an expletive) are in the lead because they are so active and always up to something - digging, carrying piles of substrate, burying water dishes, etc.

biomarine2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I feel the exact same way. I have around 70 different species and I still love my rcf and avics. They are what I have the most of. They are just so awesome to watch.

Rochelle

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I love the name Phil! It never occurred to me as a T name. How did you come up with it? I haven't made up my mind which Ts I like best but the G. aureostriata (I will NOT call them pulchripes it sounds like a disease or an expletive) are in the lead because they are so active and always up to something - digging, carrying piles of substrate, burying water dishes, etc.
Crazy hair do = Phyllis Diller = "Phil" :D

If you ever have time to kill; cruise through our personal list. I've been often accused of stealing names from the Retirement Home resident roster. {D
Most of the mean girls get named after infamous women; the sweethearts get named after favorite Aunts.

JC

Arachnolort
Old Timer
Feel the same as well. My old female B.albopilosum is still my favorite along with my rosie.

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I've spent thousands of dollars on all sorts of exotic species over the last year or so only to find that Avic avic is STILL my favourite T. And i prefer my RCF Rosea to nealy all of the others exotics i've ever had / or still got. I mean i've had some BEAUTIFUL spiders; Blue fangs, Cobalt blues, Singapore blues, Ornamentals, etc etc, yet my RCF G. rosea impresses me more - she is gentle, stunning coloured, active and always visible. Can't really explain why i feel that way, i just do.

Anyone else spent a fortune only to find they love the most common species?
well of all the Ts i own or have owned, my favorite by far is the Aphonopelma anax or the Aphonopelma moderatum. I cant decide. I think the anax tho . she is such a trooper . she does really great at schools and the like .

IrishPolishman

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I dunno guys. I love all my Ts just the same but I need a vast array to keep my interest. It's kind of explained in how I listen to music. I can't listen to the same genre or artist twice in a row. I have to keep the selection as randomly chosen as possible. So in the T world, I have a rosie sitting next to a pokie sitting next to a pulcher...you get the point. They're all interesting in their own unique ways, and that's why I like them. I also try to keep this hobby as cheap as possible by rescueing as many Ts as possible off of craigslist.

Laba-Laba

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I dunno guys. I love all my Ts just the same but I need a vast array to keep my interest. It's kind of explained in how I listen to music. I can't listen to the same genre or artist twice in a row. I have to keep the selection as randomly chosen as possible. So in the T world, I have a rosie sitting next to a pokie sitting next to a pulcher...you get the point. They're all interesting in their own unique ways, and that's why I like them. I also try to keep this hobby as cheap as possible by rescueing as many Ts as possible off of craigslist.
I guess too often, especially when I started out in the hobby, I based my expectations on other people's pictures. I'd see a spider that blew me away, then go right out and order that species, only to find they were not as interesting in the flesh. Either through how my individuals looked etc, or how they behaved. Example. Someone posts a STUNNING picture of a cobalt blue sitting atop its substrate. You think: "WoW, look at that blue", then go order one, only to find your specimen isn’t as pretty by far, and NEVER, EVER comes out. Suddenly you're not such big fan. Whereas with my avics and rosies etc, i had such low expectations, because they're so "common", it wasn’t difficult for individual spiders to surpass them with their personalities.

I could give up all my exotics if i had to, but I’d be truly heartbroken to lose my AF Avics.

GartenSpinnen

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have had a bit of everything, and i cant say that i would pick one species, but i like my P. irminia, P. subfusca, G. aueriostriata, and P. murinus the best out of all the others. My absolute favorite specimen is my G. aueriostriata, i have had her forever and raised her from a tiny sling. She is quite big now, hence her name (and my only ever named specimen) "Big Gurl". I have kept her through every collection sale, and she is the only tarantula i have from my beginning collection.

She has not eaten in around 6 months, maybe longer, and has not molted in over a year so i am hoping for an upcoming molt here soon. This species grows about as fast as a snail moves. Saying that, my girl is almost 6 years old and she is still only around 5.5" or so. I can't wait for her to get full grown.

As far as the other species go, the P. subfusca and P. irminia are both new additions for me but are quickly becoming favorites. They both have a lot of 'personality' to them, and the P. subfusca seems to have a completely different temperament compared to other Poecilotheria that i have kept, and especially compared to the P. rufilata that i have now... which is a little psycho.

The P. murinus have always been a favorite for me. I honestly can never have too many of them, right now i am keeping 3 specimens and can sit down and watch them for hours. At one time i raised more than 30 of them from small slings to adults. They are just fascinating to me i suppose.

I think when people are new to the hobby they want to buy more and more species and after people have been in the hobby for awhile they kinda start to settle down and narrow their interests, especially when it comes to favorite specimens. We are blessed with having a very broad hobby where new species are constantly available, and the options for coloration/size/temperament is almost infinite to some extent. There is nothing wrong with liking a common species though, it doesn't have to be expensive to be great :).

-Nate

spiders4life

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My most Expensive discovery is how mutch more interesting the more expensive spideres are compared to G rosea.