Expecting 19 tarantulas off Craigslist tonight.

AshLee

Arachnopeon
Well, they just arrived!! Holy moly! A few don't have enclosures and I'll have to properly house. It seems like the second seller also threw in three of the tarantulas that we had excluded while we were haggling. So I got one unsexed Pelinobius muticus and two mature female Ceratogyrus darlingi in addition.

SausageinaNet

Arachnopeon
Well, they just arrived!! Holy moly! A few don't have enclosures and I'll have to properly house. It seems like the second seller also threw in three of the tarantulas that we had excluded while we were haggling. So I got one unsexed Pelinobius muticus and two mature female Ceratogyrus darlingi in addition.

Can only imagine how excited you are right now. Getting new Ts is one of the best parts of the hobby. Enjoy your new additions.

AshLee

Arachnopeon
Not good ones by any means, but here are some quick pictures as I went along and checked everyone out! Not everyone is included, as some are duplicates of the same specie or were too hidden in their homes.

There are lots of labels all over each of the containers from the second seller, indicating when they were purchased, for what amount, and from whom. A lot of these must have been raised from slings, and at least one of them (A. avicularia) is a proud mother to 150 babies born in 2014. It makes me feel kind of fuzzy and warm. ;)

From the first seller:

I'm in LOVE with her. Adult female A. brocklehursti in the large display tank.

The lovely Rita! 20+ year old B. albopilosum.

Young female B. smithi.

Young female B. auratum.

Unsexed T.stirmi.

From the second seller:

One of four unsexed B. albiceps.

Adult female A. versicolor.

One of two adult female P. irminias.

Proud mother, A. avicularia adult female.

Adult female C. cyaneopubescens.

Extremely leggy unsexed G. iheringi. Thought they had to be a MM when I first saw them.
Yes, there's some gross water in the bottom of the transport container.

One of two adult female C. darlingis.

AND THIS GIRL. They didn't mention any chance of her being gravid, but that looks enormous. Lasiodora parahybana.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
They all look fabulous... I'm in love with little old Rita.

AND THIS GIRL. They didn't mention any chance of her being gravid, but that looks enormous. Lasiodora parahybana.
Considering how many spiderlings that species has, I would hope that they would mention if she might be gravid! :eek:

AshLee

Arachnopeon
They all look fabulous... I'm in love with little old Rita.

Considering how many spiderlings that species has, I would hope that they would mention if she might be gravid! :eek:
I know! One species that I didn't have an intention to breed! If that is the case, however, I would accept the challenge. Considering that they were pretty meticulous with the breeding dates and sac details on some of the other containers, I'd think this one would have had something on it if they had bred her.

AshLee

Arachnopeon
Word from the seller:

"No. She's not gravid. Just a big butt. She had a sac already about 9 months ago."

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Word from the seller:

"No. She's not gravid. Just a big butt. She had a sac already about 9 months ago."
Has she molted since then? If not, there has been cases of a double sack. Most likely she is just plump though.

AshLee

Arachnopeon
Has she molted since then? If not, there has been cases of a double sack. Most likely she is just plump though.
It doesn't seem like it. The thought had crossed my mind but I thought that she might have dropped a second one by now if that were the case. I'm not an expert on the matter, however, and they've done stranger things. Anything is possible as far as I'm concerned.

That G, iheringi is pretty ugly, why not send it my way? ;)
I'm an avid lover of all "ugly" tarantulas. For too long my beloved "plain brown" brethren have lived in the shadows of the "pretty blue" tarantulas!

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
These Ts certainly appear to have come from owners who actually cared about their animals. What an incredible haul.

AshLee

Arachnopeon
Unfortunately I've just noticed some tiny mites (a quick guess) crawling on the outsides of some of the containers from the second seller, as well as a few tiny flies inside of a few. The containers are very clearly lived in and judging from their labels, the tarantulas may have been in these containers for the past couple years without any cleaning or maintenance. Several boluses and uneaten meals stuck in the webbing.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Unfortunately I've just noticed some tiny mites (a quick guess) crawling on the outsides of some of the containers from the second seller, as well as a few tiny flies inside of a few. The containers are very clearly lived in and judging from their labels, the tarantulas may have been in these containers for the past couple years without any cleaning or maintenance. Several boluses and uneaten meals stuck in the webbing.
Yeah, your going to hit that. If it were me I'd put the Ts in holding cups and clean and re-setup all their old enclosures. New dirt, cleaned or new plants. The works. In the long run it'll save you a lot of problems and you'll know where you're starting from.

AshLee

Arachnopeon
Yeah, your going to hit that. If it were me I'd put the Ts in holding cups and clean and re-setup all their old enclosures. New dirt, cleaned or new plants. The works. In the long run it'll save you a lot of problems and you'll know where you're starting from.
That was what I was thinking/dreading. They're incredibly settled into their containers and they'll have to redo the evident work that they've put into these. It would be a nice opportunity to put some of them into new housing though and actually take a look at a couple. I can't remotely see through a lot of the thick webbing on some of the containers. They look prehistoric. So, a little bit of a shame, but at the same time, it seems very due for the same reasons.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
In regards of the mites concern of before, i stand with what Trenor said plus, bit of solace, aside for P.irminia and T.stirmi, those T's (great deal, btw) doesn't require a particular "eye" on the humidity part... and mites hates "dry" :)

AshLee

Arachnopeon
How is a T stirmi still unsexed at 5"? lol
I had wondered, but it seems that they raised them from a sling and didn't like to bother them much. Maybe they weren't able to sex the molts for some reason, I can't be certain. They were the one that they were not looking forward to trying to pack and ship, which is why I made sure to arrange a pick-up.

On another note, I was ecstatic to see the M. balfouri come out of their burrow last night!

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
I felt similarly! I was astonished when they mentioned her. They did say that they're keeping one tarantula, "more as a pet than a part of a collection." A G. pulchra female that they adore. :) So they won't be entirely alone! I told them that I would send them pictures of their darlings periodically.
Hopefully they will collect again someday.