Expecting 19 tarantulas off Craigslist tonight.

AshLee

Arachnopeon
I've been communicating with someone off of Craigslist for a couple of weeks. They were looking to sell what was left of their collection, five adults/sub adults that were mostly sexed female. They had a discount price for buying all five which was irresistible, so I went ahead with it. We were planning on shipping since I live four hours away, but I wanted to see if there was any chance that they could be picked up instead. I'd get all of their enclosures with them, and they wouldn't have to worry about trying to ship one of their unruly tarantulas. They didn't mind holding them, they just wanted them gone before their wedding at the end of this month.

They mentioned that this was the end of an era for them. They'd been collecting for 20 years and had over 75 species, and they'd raised all of these ones from slings. I was floored when they mentioned that one of the five that I was getting was their first tarantula, Rita the B. albopilosum. They were so happy that they'd go to someone that would appreciate them. I was incredibly touched.

Conveniently, one of my friends was making a trip to a nearby town this week. We worked something out and they were able to pick all of them up yesterday. Since I had been planning on organizing a trip up before my friend had said anything, I'd happened upon another person that was selling their collection of 20+ in another nearby town. I only originally offered enough for three of them, but they gave the impression that some haggling could be done. On a whim, I offered a low price for their entire collection, thinking they'd never accept it. They considered it, and we worked out a deal through the night. We excluded a few to make it a little more worth it, and another 14 tarantulas will be coming home to me now.

Not all of them had listed sizes, but this is what I'm expecting based off of their listings:
0.1.0 Acanthoscurria brocklehursti 7"
0.1.0 Avicularia avicularia adult
0.1.0 Avicularia versicolor adult
0.0.4 Brachypelma albiceps 3-4"
0.1.1 Brachypelma albopilosum adult & unknown size
0.1.0 Brachypelma auratum sub-adult
0.1.0 Brachypelma smithi adult
0.1.0 Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens adult
0.0.1 Ephebopus cyanognathus 3-4"
0.0.1 Grammostola iheringi unknown size
0.1.0 Lasiodora parahybana adult
0.0.1 Monocentropus balfouri 3-4" (suspected female)
0.2.0 Psalmopoeus irminia adults
0.0.1 Theraphosa stirmi 5"

This evening will be better than any holiday.
Also, my friend is a saint and will be rewarded graciously.
I will try and post pictures once they arrive and everyone is settled in. :)

Last edited:

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
That is happy news for you, but I can't help but feel sad for the first guy. Having to give up his very first tarantula who has been with him for 20 years.
I never would have given up my Evelyn. Or any of them, actually.
:(

AshLee

Arachnopeon
That is happy news for you, but I can't help but feel sad for the first guy. Having to give up his very first tarantula who has been with him for 20 years.
I never would have given up my Evelyn. Or any of them, actually.
:(
I felt similarly! I was astonished when they mentioned her. They did say that they're keeping one tarantula, "more as a pet than a part of a collection." A G. pulchra female that they adore. :) So they won't be entirely alone! I told them that I would send them pictures of their darlings periodically.

louise f

Arachnoangel
Hey congratz with all those lovely spiders, cant wait to see some pics
really cool species.:)

Casey K

Arachnoknight
Very nice array of species there! Well done on obtaining them!

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
0.0.4 Brachypelma albiceps 3-4"
Breed these if you have the gender mix. This species is found frequently here as other members of its genus. It's pretty rare to come across specimens for sale of that size too.

AshLee

Arachnopeon
Breed these if you have the gender mix. This species is found frequently here as other members of its genus. It's pretty rare to come across specimens for sale of that size too.
That was my thought and very hope! The original three that I was buying were the M. balfouri, E. cyanognathus, and B. albiceps. But knowing that there were three other albiceps (and that I wouldn't be there personally to try any sexing) really encouraged me to make an offer for the whole. They're a specie that I've sought after for a while.

AshLee

Arachnopeon
I just got word that the A. avicularia and A. versicolor are freshly molted and ready to breed. Oh man.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I felt similarly! I was astonished when they mentioned her. They did say that they're keeping one tarantula, "more as a pet than a part of a collection." A G. pulchra female that they adore. :) So they won't be entirely alone! I told them that I would send them pictures of their darlings periodically.
I'm just glad that they're going to a good home.

billrogers

Arachnoknight
You are so lucky. My local Craigslist is useless. Basically only the occasional overpriced rose hair...

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Wow, that's quite the haul! Congratulations! Have you figured out yet where you're going to put all of them? That's always the hardest part for me, with any new acquisitions! :rolleyes:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
You are so lucky. My local Craigslist is useless. Basically only the occasional overpriced rose hair...
So is mine, I type in tarantula and I get adverts for BPs and Boas at times too. I've never had a CL haul or even one single good deal via CL.

AshLee

Arachnopeon
My local Craigslist isn't very fruitful, but that's why I check the more populated cities when I know I'll be passing through or if I have friends in the area. Hence these ones being four hours away.

The best local deal that I found was an adult female Brachypelma smithi in her furnished 10 gallon, delivered to my doorstep from a neighboring town, for $50.

Thistles

Arachnobroad
Old Timer
I used to date a guy who knew/knows you. He lived in Prineville and I lived in Bend. That area is so dead, generally. We'd go to the Portland expo when we could, but otherwise there wasn't much happening there. Nice find!

AshLee

Arachnopeon
I used to date a guy who knew/knows you. He lived in Prineville and I lived in Bend. That area is so dead, generally. We'd go to the Portland expo when we could, but otherwise there wasn't much happening there. Nice find!
Oh my goodness, really? That's so neat! I couldn't think of who it was, but I'm slowly starting to remember people that I briefly knew in the area. I'm in Bend, but I have definitely connected with a few people in other parts of the CO area through online groups.

Wow, that's quite the haul! Congratulations! Have you figured out yet where you're going to put all of them? That's always the hardest part for me, with any new acquisitions! :rolleyes:
I moved into a spacious two-story apartment a few months ago, I've been struggling to fill up my silly number of bookcases. ;) I figure that I can put one or two (bookcases) into the hallway or downstairs once I fill my bedroom up.

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
Nice haul! You should definitely try breeding the B. albiceps, haven't seen much of those around and wouldn't mind having one or two!

So is mine, I type in tarantula and I get adverts for BPs and Boas at times too. I've never had a CL haul or even one single good deal via CL.
Basically my experience. However, when I went to 'rescue' a Burmese python quite a few years back, I had the owner try to tell me their rose hair was a 'Brazilian wandering spider'...