Exo Terra nano, enough cross ventilation for pokie?

Haksilence

Bad At Titles
Arachnosupporter
I've heard mixed things about this enclosure. The exo Terra nano I see several keepers housing their pokies and other arboreals in.
Any insight on these enclosures, with them being glass I'm a little wary about the cross ventilation, since I don't have the capability to drill or modify glass.

Do these have acceptable, stock, cross ventilation? Or should I look for something else?

Sam_Peanuts

Arachnobaron
There's a vent below the door and the whole top is ventilated so there is plenty of cross ventilation, it's just not ideally placed.

Ideally, you'd have very little ventilation on top and more on the sides to keep the humidity in, but it's good enough for a pokie since they're pretty hardy.

What can be problematic is the screen top since there's a change they can get their tarsal claws stuck in them, but it's not something that happens very often and worst case scenario, they'll lose a leg which is not that big of a deal for them.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Comes down to personal preference, towards that end I wouldn't use them, while Chad and many others have (and still do) use them for all sorts of arboreals just fine!

The thing is that they're insanely overpricede for what you get for your money.

Haksilence

Bad At Titles
Arachnosupporter
Comes down to personal preference, towards that end I wouldn't use them, while Chad and many others have (and still do) use them for all sorts of arboreals just fine!

Yeah I only consider it because I have come across one for 20$ so it's that or a 100$ one from jaimies. Which I would prefer, but I have to be reasonable with cash.

jiacovazzi

Arachnoknight
I'm a fan, I use them for many terrestrials including my Poecilotheria and Tapinauchenius

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
IMO there's in Germany better glass enclosure cages at a very laughable price, enclosures able to suits perfectly arboreals T's save for genus Avicularia or the too much delicate Asian ones like genus Lampropelma.

Exo Terra are ok but very overpriced like Storm76 said.

jiacovazzi

Arachnoknight

They're $30 USD at reptile shows

Austin S.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My poor attempt at humor seems to have fallen short
LOL.
I think this guy knows the difference between terrestrial and arboreal.

I have housed Poecilotheria and Avicularia in them before without a problem. However, I kept a gravid arboreal in one before and had to tape 80% of the top up to stabilize humidity. Not a good housing idea if you plan on breeding the inhabitant.

Austin S.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I also currently housed an adult female Harpactira pulchripes in one the other day. Wanted to make a layered terrestrial theme for her. Sadly, it just seems too small, but looks very nice. I'll probably end up rehousing her tonight.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
They're $30 USD at reptile shows
Over here I'd pay between 50-100 EUR a piece for them. So I prefer the normal glass enclosures for 20-40 EUR in comparison. If you can get them that "cheap" ocassionally, good for you, but I doubt that's the usual price aside shows.

Haksilence

Bad At Titles
Arachnosupporter
I'll be replacing the screen top when I get it with acrylic. There is a craft store close by that sells sheets of it and I have access to a laser engraver/etcher that will cut it to exact dimensions perfectly.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Over here I'd pay between 50-100 EUR a piece for them. So I prefer the normal glass enclosures for 20-40 EUR in comparison. If you can get them that "cheap" ocassionally, good for you, but I doubt that's the usual price aside shows.

It's not the usual price for them at all, you've been misinformed.

Spidermolt

Arachnoknight
I personally like using exo terras for all my arboreal tarantulas, I haven't had any problems at all with them so far. As for the ventilation I have no problems maintaining the proper humidity even with one-half of the top screen covered with a homemade acrylic lid. the one thing I do suggest to you is that I'd go with the exo terra 12"x12"x18" for pokies since they do get larger and faster than other arboreal Ts.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
The Nano Tall ones cost around £30 (roughly $37 or €35) online here, I just tear out the mesh screen and replace it with acrylic with air holes drilled in, it's pretty easy to do.

As mentioned above, the 12"x12"x18" would be a better option for a subadult/adult Pokie as some get fairly large.

vespers

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
the one thing I do suggest to you is that I'd go with the exo terra 12"x12"x18" for pokies since they do get larger and faster than other arboreal Ts.
As mentioned above, the 12"x12"x18" would be a better option for a subadult/adult Pokie as some get fairly large.
I agree. The 12x12x18 makes for a better enclosure size for adult Poecilotheria.