Exo terra moon glo?

omegian

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
hey guys i already wrote a thread about bulbs but i actually just bought one which is the exo terra moon glo 25 watts
im just wondering if its safe for my T or not?

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
No. T's do not need light. As a matter of fact they don't like it. Not only will you over heat your T with a light, you will stress it out as well.

the nature boy

Arachnoking
Old Timer
hey guys i already wrote a thread about bulbs but i actually just bought one which is the exo terra moon glo 25 watts
im just wondering if its safe for my T or not?
Don't use a bulb. If you're going to anyway then make sure that the temp in the enclosure never exceeds the mid 80s or you will cook your T.

--the nature boy

Zoltan

Cult Leader
Old Timer
To be honest, I don't see why you want to use a bulb for your T's so badly (heating?). As others said before me, they do not need additional light, natural sunlight is fine, as long as they are not exposed to direct sunlight. If you're gonna use a bulb with them anyway, please make sure that the bulb's light doesn't cover all of the enclosure, and T's have a dark place to retreat to, if needed. Oh, and Matt has a pretty valid point there, do not lot the cages overheat - a thermostat would be probably a good idea.

Cheers,

Buckshot

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Tubelight may be good then?
They don´t get as hot as regular bulbs.
Or those Low-energy light-bulbs?
I understand that spiders don´t need extra light, but i want to be able to see them.

Zoltan

Cult Leader
Old Timer
I understand that spiders don´t need extra light, but i want to be able to see them.
If purely for visual purposes, red light is the best, because supposedly tarantulas cannot sense red light.

eL Tre

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yeah, that´s an alternative, but i would prefer some more natural looking light.
I really dont understand what the big deal is, why dont you just turn your house light on when you want to see if they are ok at night? Does this stress them out?

Is black light also harmful?

NeitherSparky

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
If you want to see your t's just keep a flashlight on your t table. Most of them don't mind the bright light for a few moments (only one of my 8 hates it and hides).

omegian

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
hey i use a light bulb for heating purposes and it gets up to 27C which is about 80 F
the moon glo is for the night and is a very low wattage so it only makes the temps go up by 1 C which would be around 25C??
im just wondering that if its bad for them like i think it may be a black light im not sure..heres the link to what it looks like..
http://www.exo-terra.com/en/products/night_glo.php
the light bulb hardly shows any light but i can still see things..
i dont want to create a fight here so if you disagree then i wont use it and i just wasted my money..

phrank

Arachnopeon
I dont know if this helps, but I have 15 T's, and I use a red heat bulb and whenever I turn on to them They actually come to the light and climb the enclosure. I guess the like the heat from it, and they dont mind the light being on them at all. Infact they love it. Its when I use a flash light they tend to scatter.

Zoltan

Cult Leader
Old Timer
Phrank:
I dont know if this helps, but I have 15 T's, and I use a red heat bulb and whenever I turn on to them They actually come to the light and climb the enclosure. I guess the like the heat from it, and they dont mind the light being on them at all. Infact they love it. Its when I use a flash light they tend to scatter.
If purely for visual purposes, red light is the best, because supposedly tarantulas cannot sense red light.

Omegian: "tarantulas don't need additional light. But if you want to use lightning, red light is the best." - that's all I can tell.
If you still want to use some additional lightning, use it to your heart's content, it's your spiders after all. We can only give you advices what, and what not to do. To be honest, I don't know how blue light affects them. Maybe you can observe their reaction to it (f.e. lightning only a part of the tank with it, and see which region they prefer), and draw the conclusion.

D-back

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
To be honest, I don't know how blue light affects them. Maybe you can observe their reaction to it (f.e. lightning only a part of the tank with it, and see which region they prefer), and draw the conclusion.
I agree with Eraisuithon. Give it a try if you want and inform us about your observations. I use red light but only during winter. The maximum temperature I can achieve with a 25 W bulb is 78-80 F.
PS. If I want to see my T's I use a flashlight. The red bulb is used by me only for heating purposes.

Arachnopeon
I'll search for a red Led, and post finds..I have used a flashlight to see them but its nice to see your T all the time...My setup is on display in my house and family and friends can see the T's all the time with the led which is blue, I understand that red might be better, but surely if these animals are nocturnal and hunt at night they should not really be bothered by a blue moonlight led bulb as its a more natural colour than red at night, like i said they are not botherd by the light what so ever like i said in a earlyier post 8) I do not use a light in the day time btw.

Regards

Mat

just thought i wonder if you copyied the moon cycle in conjunction with the led bulb, like when the moon was full use the bulb and visaversa, or is that being abit over the top..funny things happen when there's a full moon 8)

Last edited:

Londoner

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I'll search for a red Led, and post finds..I have used a flashlight to see them but its nice to see your T all the time...My setup is on display in my house and family and friends can see the T's all the time with the led which is blue, I understand that red might be better, but surely if these animals are nocturnal and hunt at night they should not really be bothered by a blue moonlight led bulb as its a more natural colour than red at night, like i said they are not botherd by the light what so ever like i said in a earlyier post 8) I do not use a light in the day time btw.

Regards

Mat
The red end of the light spectrum is not thought to be visible to Ts,but I think they can see blue light. I'm not saying a blue light will bother them, just that they will know when it's on.

I have some red lights set up, but I also keep a torch in the room. The red lights are good for observing nocturnal behaviour, but don't show up the colours on my Ts too well :) .

T-Harry

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I keep all my T's in basement rooms and because of that there's not much natural light and even in summer it's a bit chilly.
All my enclosures are placed in shelves, depending on their size two to three cages are placed on every shelf. On the bottom side of each shelf I installed two 10W halogen bulbs that give warmth and light to the cages an the shelf below that one.
The bulbs are controlled by a timer. In summer the lights are on for 10 hours a day, during winter for 8 hours to simulate the seasons.
As long as the lights are on I meassure about 25°C, when the lights are off I have between 18 and 20°C depending on the season.
Actually for my setup artificial light is a necessity since I have live plants in almost every cage and the plants wouldn't survive without additional lighting because of lack of natural light.

As long as the lights don't exceed the brightness of natural sunlight I don't think that T's are bothered by it. Expecially my Brachypelma spec seem to actually enjoy it since I can observe them sunbathing. They climb to the highest point of their enclosure to get closer to the bulbs for that reason.

Last edited:

von_z

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
There is absolutely no need for light's on T enclosures. Leave the poor things alone.

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Tubelight may be good then?
They don´t get as hot as regular bulbs.
Or those Low-energy light-bulbs?
Then invest in a small flashlight. You won't be staring at your T's all of the time, and the light can be used to visually inspect each T briefly.

D-back

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
It would be quite interesting to light only the half of the enclosure with that blue moonlight bulb and observe which half would be preferred by the T's....