Exo terra for Aviculara aviculara

Garth Vader

Arachnobaron
My avic just molted and is now pretty darn big. They've been in an Amac box for a long time, but now it is time to size up. I would like to move them into their permanent enclosure and I'm thinking an Exo terra would be great and because I have a small-ish collection and I am extremely fussy about aesthetics, I don't mind spending the money on it. This is my only arboreal, and probably will be for quite a while.

So what's the best size? I'm looking at the Nano/ tall which is 8x8x12 inches. Yes? Or no, too small?

(note: I know for sure that this has been posted on here before but couldn't find the posts, so also feel free to link those since apparently I am not coming up with the right keyword combo or something... )

Edited to add:
ALSO- I DIDN'T KILL MY AVIC and this was an impulsive pet store "rescue" 2 years ago. SO just have to share that because we see so many dying avic posts on here!

basin79

ArachnoGod
I keep my adult female Caribena versicolor in the tall nano (8x8x12). I've just modified the lid to cover the mesh.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
That size is fine. I raise lots of avics in the smaller 8x8 exo teras. No kid mods required. :rolleyes:

Garth Vader

Arachnobaron
You guys are fantastic and responded so quickly! I'm gonna order the Nano tall today :)

I do plan to replace the screen top, of course. No spider of mine will be losing fuzzy legs in a screen, by golly.

AngelDeVille

Fuk Da Meme Police
You guys are fantastic and responded so quickly! I'm gonna order the Nano tall today :)

I do plan to replace the screen top, of course. No spider of mine will be losing fuzzy legs in a screen, by golly.
Mine already incorporated the mesh of the screen on her web design.

If I get the chance I'll try the cloth method of covering the mesh.

It sounds like that will keep the airflow going better.

Garth Vader

Arachnobaron
Mine already incorporated the mesh of the screen on her web design.

If I get the chance I'll try the cloth method of covering the mesh.

It sounds like that will keep the airflow going better.
Yeah, I barely see mine. They are in a web hammock at the top pretty much all the time! I'm sure it will be the same when I move them over.
Airflow is a good point. My Ts live in a glass case and it is not airtight by any means, but it doesn't exactly help with air flow. If I do a fiberglass replacement, I will definitely give it a lotta holes for airflow!

basin79

ArachnoGod
Yeah, I barely see mine. They are in a web hammock at the top pretty much all the time! I'm sure it will be the same when I move them over.
Airflow is a good point. My Ts live in a glass case and it is not airtight by any means, but it doesn't exactly help with air flow. If I do a fiberglass replacement, I will definitely give it a lotta holes for airflow!
This is what I did for my exo terra lids. Really easy.

boina

Lady of the mites
The 'funny' rating is for the Edit, of course :rofl:

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter

Get pics on replacement lid & how to build them. I can’t afford exo terra until I find a job, can you find them cheaper used? There like $100 at my pet supplies

AngelDeVille

Fuk Da Meme Police
Get pics on replacement lid & how to build them. I can’t afford exo terra until I find a job, can you find them cheaper used? There like $100 at my pet supplies
I got a wide low I think it is for $79 shipped, and I think I paid $24 for the nano tall at a local mom and pop shop.

Bipolar Spider

Arachnopeon
OP isn't in the UK though. Cheapest I can find is £39 for a nano tall shipped.
.. my point being if you convert $100 seems a bit much.

Pets@Home just finished doing an offer of £34 (just ordered 8 from them at this price) and free delivery to their store.

Internet reptile do them for £34 and if you order over £50 it's free delivery.

Last edited:

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Pets@Home just finished doing an offer of £34 (just ordered 8 from them at this price) and free delivery to their store.
I had a few of them from there at £35 delivered to my door, they've gone up to £39 now.

Internet reptile do them for £34 and if you order over £50 it's free delivery.
Every time I've ordered from them something's been missing.

basin79

ArachnoGod
@Garth Vader this is my lass in her nano tall. It's only recently she's webbed up outside her cork bark so I can't open the door anymore. Thankfully exo's have lids.

Phone pics but you get the idea.

Front

Top with lid

Back

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
How thick is the acrylic you guys are using on the ExoTerra Nano or ExoTerra Small? I haven't used my Nano's yet.

AngelDeVille

Fuk Da Meme Police
How thick is the acrylic you guys are using on the ExoTerra Nano or ExoTerra Small? I haven't used my Nano's yet.
I need to get to home depot, it looks like they stock 1/8" and some thinner of other types of material.