Ever notice something in the spider room?

braekedaun

Arachnopeon
Has anyone else ever noticed the phenomenon of groups of spiders seeming to molt in the room at once? I mean that if one spider molts, chances are there'll be another molt within a few days of it as well. I only keep about 10 spiders now and if one sheds, I'll likely get 1 or 2 others within a week. They are not from the same sac or species.

Do they give of a pherimone when they shed that could be picked up on by others?

Protectyaaaneck

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Has anyone else ever noticed the phenomenon of groups of spiders seeming to molt in the room at once? I mean that if one spider molts, chances are there'll be another molt within a few days of it as well. I only keep about 10 spiders now and if one sheds, I'll likely get 1 or 2 others within a week. They are not from the same sac or species.

Do they give of a pherimone when they shed that could be picked up on by others?
I think its just a coincidence most of the time, but when there is a low pressure storm moving through, and like 5 of your T's molt at the same time, now that isn't a coincidence.

speaking of molting, I'm really really excited b/c my p. subfusca and my t. subcaeruleus are all due to molt in like 1-2 days.{D {D

scar is my t

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i have heard this alot and i doubt you will get a very good answer as not many studies have been made but i think they have to almost. why is something im thinking of now. mabey so that a predator gets one but wont get the other?

braekedaun

Arachnopeon
So at least I'm not the only one that notices that they all seem to do it at once if they're close!

scar is my t

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i only have 1 t so im not too acurate but many people have been saying this.

Arachtis

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
The more T's you have, the more common these "molt outbreaks" are. I get probably 2 molts a month on average, if not more.

braekedaun

Arachnopeon
protectyaaneck, do you think it has more to do with weather patterns? I hadnt thought of that really. Shed right before a rain for the humidity benifit?

Sterlingspider

Arachnobaron
Old Timer

Yeah, this question comes up periodically.

If one sheds I typically keep my eye on the rest of them as another one often follows within a few days.

Skullptor

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I find it to be a numbers game. If you have a number of slings the same size their molting schedule will overlap giving you the appearance it might be coordinated. Of course, there may be something to it I don't know. :)

gambite

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
I think it has a lot to do with growth rates and feeding schedules. I tend to feed bunches of T's at once, so it would make sense for them to molt at roughly the same times.

ReMoVeR

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I have 2 Ts. 1 Molted on November 18th and i got a sling that molted the next day i got it 2 weeks ago. a few days after it, my old T molted xD pure coincidence ?! :D i think so!

//Tiago

billy28

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Last summer I had 4 T's molt in one week and on the 15th two of mine molted :eek: .

kaydyn1512

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
7 molts in 2 weeks

From 12/22-01/05 at the time I only had 17 T's and 7 molted within that 2 week period then within another 10 days another 5. I don't know why/what/how but I thought it was amazing myself. It's not like they were all the same size/species or... It was interesting. I never bothered to ask anyone about it though. It's nice to know others have gone through it. :)

agent lead

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
ive had 4 pokies, an obt and a c fasc all molt last week all sitting in the same room...

gvfarns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've seen it too. It's pretty hard without a lot of data to establish whether we are just seeing patterns in what is just chance. Humans find patterns in just about everything and sometimes it's not there.

My opinion is that either a pheromone or a combination of environmental factors does indeed play a role in concentrating molt schedules (who would have believed girls rooming together would sync up either?). But like I say, I might be imagining things.

braekedaun

Arachnopeon
What about the "oil" they secrete between layers of skin before they shed? I've seen droplets of this all over them for days after shedding. This has to have some sort of chemical signature in it! Any research on that fluid?

Just like one ripening apple in a bag with unripe ones, all the rest will seem to pick up on the chemicals and follow suit.

ReMoVeR

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I noticed that "oil" on my last molt too! I thought that it was water. That is pretty interesting if that fluid is not water and if it is something more!

//Tiago

ph0bia

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
In the wild they shed related to the seasons. It's merely a hangover from this that species from similar environments of similar size will all molt at approximately the same time.

stevetastic

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
In the wild they shed related to the seasons. It's merely a hangover from this that species from similar environments of similar size will all molt at approximately the same time.
Most T's don't live in areas where there are distinct seasons and they shed... or molt... based on the amount of food available.