Ephebopus cyanognathus sling, stuck molt

Michael Pintal

Arachnopeon
I need some advice on a .5" ephebopus cyanognathus sling that has 3 legs stuck in a molt half way out.
Does anyone have a answers for me?
Thanks Mike

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
At that size, it'd be impossible to help it yourself. If it's just the legs, it's likely that the sling will drop the legs on it's own, and it'll be perfectly fine if it does. For now, just leave it be.

Pokie11

Arachnosquire
Leave it for now. If it's only legs, what is stuck, it will probably drop them, and recover them during future molts. You can not help it in any way, that would probably make it's situation even worse.

Michael Pintal

Arachnopeon
At that size, it'd be impossible to help it yourself. If it's just the legs, it's likely that the sling will drop the legs on it's own, and it'll be perfectly fine if it does. For now, just leave it be.
I hope it will do fine , it's 1 pedipalp then the next 2 legs, thanks for your feedback.
Mike

Michael Pintal

Arachnopeon
Leave it for now. If it's only legs, what is stuck, it will probably drop them, and recover them during future molts. You can not help it in any way, that would probably make it's situation even worse.
I hope it'll be fine, it's 1 pedipalp and the next 2 legs, thanks for your feedback.
Mike

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Any updates?

It may be stuck because humidity is too low. May be helpful to prevent it next time.

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
Any updates?

It may be stuck because humidity is too low. May be helpful to prevent it next time.
Exactly this ^

It would be helpful at this point for you to post how you're keeping the sling and pictures would be appreciated. I know some people don't provide water for their tiny slings but internal hydration is very important to the molting process. So, for example, if your T wasn't able to drink enough water then that would be something you could change in the future to help prevent this from happening again.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Exactly this ^

It would be helpful at this point for you to post how you're keeping the sling and pictures would be appreciated. I know some people don't provide water for their tiny slings but internal hydration is very important to the molting process. So, for example, if your T wasn't able to drink enough water then that would be something you could change in the future to help prevent this from happening again.
On top of this, E.cyanognathus requires a higher humidity overall so is probably more prone to effects of low humidity.

Michael Pintal

Arachnopeon
Exactly this ^

There was definitely enough humidity, I've been in the hobby for about 2 years with 54 tarantulas and and 46 different species and I've never had this problem so I'm kinda stumped to what had happened, when i bought 2 of these slings there were a couple more of these slings at the place I bought them that were stuck in molts and my other one molted just fine so hopefully it comes out ok.

korg

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Does ambient humidity really have that big an impact on successful molting? I always thought that was more of a question of internal hydration since the spider needs to pump significant hemolymph into its prosoma and then wriggle free (at which point it is still extremely soft). All respect, just have the impression that the idea of enclosure humidity impacting molting can be a bit of a red herring.

In any case, OP, very sorry about your little E. cyano. They're a great species. It's not always clear exactly why these sorts of things happen, so it's just something we have to accept.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Does ambient humidity really have that big an impact on successful molting? I always thought that was more of a question of internal hydration since the spider needs to pump significant hemolymph into its prosoma and then wriggle free (at which point it is still extremely soft). All respect, just have the impression that the idea of enclosure humidity impacting molting can be a bit of a red herring.

In any case, OP, very sorry about your little E. cyano. They're a great species. It's not always clear exactly why these sorts of things happen, so it's just something we have to accept.
I don't think there is a direct impact from dryer conditions on arid species, and agree with your point. But the Ephebopus genus needs higher humidity overall, and maybe if it was kept too dry, it might have affected the molting process with this particular species.