Entering the Old World

Peloquin

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
If you don't put your fingers near it, it can't bite you. No matter how fast, defensive, aggressive, venomous, etc... it is.

zeeman

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I always use tweezers with my t's and scorpions since day 1. Even though none of my species are medically significant I think it's just good practice. Keeping hands away works in most cases but if a T can bolt up your tweezers, you arm, and into your shirt before you can react out it stops its now a different story.

I dont own why yet, hence my asking, but I see why people are cautious over encouraging over a forum regarding OW's with minimal knowledge of the person on the other end.

I am happy to hear that my experience thus far most likely has me in a place I can get one of the OW's I like and not be completely in over my head.

Lurtz

Arachnopeon
This is a bit of an old post but I feel like people really do inflate the skill needed to keep OW tarantulas. They’re just a bit faster than normal. My first tarantulas was a Poecilotheria Metallica when I was 12 and I did fine, you’ll probably do better.

Metallattorney

Arachnopeon
When I started on OWs, I had only had a grammostola pulchra, brachypelma emilia and a GBB. I bought two females, a ceratogyrus marshalli and an augacephalus ezendami. I never had any troubles with either of them. I have always been careful around them, but I didn't notice anything completely beyond my experience at the time.

JonnyTorch

Arachnotwit
This is a bit of an old post but I feel like people really do inflate the skill needed to keep OW tarantulas. They’re just a bit faster than normal. My first tarantulas was a Poecilotheria Metallica when I was 12 and I did fine, you’ll probably do better.
It's inflated because we don't have any way of understanding whether or not some random on the Internet can actually have the common sense and knowledge to keep them. If you would have gotten bitten as a 12 year old you could have been hospitalized. That's not very advisable to just say to everyone "You'll do fine, I did!"