Encyocratella olivacea male maturation rate

TarantulaHomes

Arachnosquire
For those interested in this kind of statistics:

Got this male in July 2010 as a second instar spiderling. Ultimate molt - August 6, 2011. Leg span - 4". He was penultimate at 3.25" leg span. No tibial hooks.

Wadew

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I would say that this sp. is capable of becoming ultimate at this rate.(obviously it did) Under your feeding habits and Temps. All spiders will mature at whatever rate the existing environment allows to a certain extent. My 5 males took 28-32 months to reach maturity.

Wade

Last edited:

TarantulaHomes

Arachnosquire
I would say that this sp. is capable of becoming ultimate at this rate.(obviously it did) Under your feeding habits and Temps. All spiders will mature at whatever rate the existing environment allows to a certain extent. My 5 males took 28-32 months to reach maturity.
What was your feeding schedule like and what temperatures did you keep them at? I kept him at lower temps (around 75) and fed him once a week for the last 3 molts.

Wadew

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
T-homes,
I live in the Northeast. In the winter at night my house can go to the low 60's when it is extremely cold I have a series of three heat mats on the back of my cabinet that I plug in and use as needed. Rarely are all three plugged in. During the day it can reach the middle seventies in the winter with the wood stove cranked. I do not turn other heat sources on often in the winter other then heating with wood. We are fortunate to have a cool house in the summer with lots of shade over it. The temp does not get above 78 much. The temps are not kept static. This makes the change of seasons easy for me.
As far as feeding is concerned I am a fan of variety and am not one to overfeed. I see large abdomens on a spider and cringe ! Unless gravid ...:angelic:
I am growing out 13 of the babies from the last sac in Aug. 2010 Right now my spiders are about 2".
I guess I am in no hurry. I have a strong feeling overweight spiders are not as healthy, it is also something that you would not see in situ.

I hope my input is of use to you!
Wade