Enclosure

Crosscountry

Arachnopeon
Good morning, I recently got my first T and she is currently in a 5 gallon acrylic tank. There is not a lot of space for her with the water and wood hiding log. Can I use a reptile tank with a mesh top as well as they come in bigger sizes or are the acrylic tanks the best? Thanks

Andrew Clayton

Arachnobaron
Good morning, I recently got my first T and she is currently in a 5 gallon acrylic tank. There is not a lot of space for her with the water and wood hiding log. Can I use a reptile tank with a mesh top as well as they come in bigger sizes or are the acrylic tanks the best? Thanks
Can you post pics of you’re current setup and what Tarantula species you have these would help

Also yes they tanks can be used but by replacing the mesh lid with a sheet of acrylic or polycarbonate with holes in it as you’re T can get it’s tarsal claws stuck in the mesh, but we have to know more as to even what T you have there is so much variation out there you could have a dwarf species where you’re tank is going to be too big or a huge one like Theraphosa where it will hardly fit in you’re enclosure

Last edited by a moderator:

Crosscountry

Arachnopeon
Also yes they tanks can be used but by replacing the mesh lid with a sheet of acrylic or polycarbonate with holes in it as you’re T can get it’s tarsal claws stuck in the mesh, but we have to know more as to even what T you have there is so much variation out there you could have a dwarf species where you’re tank is going to be too big or a huge one like Theraphosa where it will hardly fit in you’re enclosure
B harmorii

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

cold blood

Staff member
it just needs one hide...take the coconut thing out...bury the cork hide most of the way and add a water dish. Your enclosure is just fine.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer

Hut not needed, and I would sink the hide into the sub more. Ts like close spacing for their homes.

Mesh is a bad idea for any T.

Kitara

Arachnodemon
I have the same enclosure for my 6" B. albopilosum. I think it is 8x8x14. It just has a hide that it doesn't use at all and a water dish. 20190729_204940.jpg

RP91

Arachnopeon
Jamie's Tarantulas enclosure or the Dreamco Plastics enclosure?

lostbrane

Arachnobaron
For future reference, something like an Exo Terra or a Zoo Med wouldn’t be good for a terrestrial tarantula, unless you did a bit of modification. Possible but a hassle.

TwiztedNinja

Arachnobaron
I have the same enclosure for my 6" B. albopilosum. I think it is 8x8x14. It just has a hide that it doesn't use at all and a water dish. View attachment 322061
Do B. albos tend to be in their hides when smaller? mine is about 4" and is always in its hide. When it expects food, it'll stick out half its legs. lol

Kitara

Arachnodemon
Do B. albos tend to be in their hides when smaller? mine is about 4" and is always in its hide. When it expects food, it'll stick out half its legs. lol
Haha my B. smithi does that. I personally dont know because I'm new and mine was about 4.5" when we got him. He had one molt a couple weeks later and now we have a MM so I dont really know how they act as juvies.

Willa

Arachnopeon
Use Jaimie's enclosure for my B. albo, too. Just bury the hide a bit more! (Sub looks shallow, but isn't. 1.5 DLS, but he digs up the corners on the back of his hide).

Same.jpg pp.jpg