Enclosure too big?

Jayk

Arachnopeon
I feel like this enclosure is too big for my G.pulchripes sling.

http://prntscr.com/jj33g4
http://prntscr.com/jj34s0

Close ups ^^

What are your thoughts?

It's also not eaten for like 2 weeks, i keep changing the meal worms every day but still doesn't eat, could it be premolt?

I also have a 3 inch or so p regalis, he has just recently webbed up his burrow, can only assume he is in premolt? as he has also stopped eating, saw him kick a cricket away from him the other day.

Attachments

Last edited:

Theneil

Arachnoprince
There's no need to feed your sling every day. Once or twice a week is plenty.

Is there a water dish in there?
If an enclosure has room you should always try to supply a water dish.

The enclosure is definitely bigger than it needs to be but in my opinion, if it doesn't cause the spider to be stressed then it's fine.

Regarding the regalis, it probably is premolt. leave it be until it opens up it's burrow, which could be a few weeks.

sasker

Arachnoprince
I would definitely put it in a way smaller enclosure if it were my spider (like 1/4 of the current surface area, or even smaller). It will have much less problem finding food if it is in a smaller enclosure. I agree with @Moakmeister that two weeks if rather long for a sling this size, but it does not appear to be too thin, so I would not worry too much about it.

Just to compare: this is how I housed my G. geniculata sling. I will likely rehouse it next molt.
DSCF2624.JPG

Jayk

Arachnopeon
There's no need to feed your sling every day. Once or twice a week is plenty.

Is there a water dish in there?
If an enclosure has room you should always try to supply a water dish.

The enclosure is definitely bigger than it needs to be but in my opinion, if it doesn't cause the spider to be stressed then it's fine.

Regarding the regalis, it probably is premolt. leave it be until it opens up it's burrow, which could be a few weeks.

The blue thing the mealies are on was the water dish but i got worried that its still pretty small and didnt want to struggle getting in and out so i turned it over

boina

Lady of the mites
I would definitely put it in a way smaller enclosure if it were my spider (like 1/4 of the current surface area, or even smaller). It will have much less problem finding food if it is in a smaller enclosure. I agree with @Moakmeister that two weeks if rather long for a sling this size, but it does not appear to be too thin, so I would not worry too much about it.

Just to compare: this is how I housed my G. geniculata sling. I will likely rehouse it next molt.
View attachment 275553
I know you didn't ask for an opinion but may I just suggest you rehouse before the next molt? They grow a lot with one molt and in that enclosure it may not be able to stretch properly after the molt and end up with leg deformities.

RonnyT

Arachnosquire
What you need is a 2 or 4 oz deli cup. That sling is tiny. A small enclosure like a 2 oz deli discourages burrowing, causes the sling to feed more, and as a result often grows faster. I will attach a picture so you can see what I'm talking about.

Attachments

NukaMedia Exotics

#1 Tarantula Vendor in the USA! Ships Nationwide.
It's usable but its pretty big, I'd probably prefer one around half that size though if possible.

sasker

Arachnoprince
I know you didn't ask for an opinion but may I just suggest you rehouse before the next molt? They grow a lot with one molt and in that enclosure it may not be able to stretch properly after the molt and end up with leg deformities.
Thanks for the tip. It is a temporary enclosure and admittedly on the small side. I will follow your advice and rehouse asap. Thanks! :)

Jayk

Arachnopeon
Update:

G.Pulcripres has now been rehoused into one of those small sling vials, it has also eaten :D
P.Regalis is still deciding on when it wants to morph into a beast.

also got A.Geniculata, P.Metallica and C.Versicolor on its way on Wednesday courtesy of The Spider Shop in the UK.