1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Enclosure too big?

Discussion in 'Vivariums and Terrariums' started by Jayk, May 17, 2018.

1. Jayk

Jayk Arachnopeon Active Member

Advertisement
    I feel like this enclosure is too big for my G.pulchripes sling.

http://prntscr.com/jj33g4
    http://prntscr.com/jj34s0

Close ups ^^

What are your thoughts?

It's also not eaten for like 2 weeks, i keep changing the meal worms every day but still doesn't eat, could it be premolt?

I also have a 3 inch or so p regalis, he has just recently webbed up his burrow, can only assume he is in premolt? as he has also stopped eating, saw him kick a cricket away from him the other day.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 17, 2018
  2. Moakmeister

Moakmeister Arachnobaron

Texas
    We’d need a better picture of the sling to figure out if it’s in premolt or not, but a sling this size wouldn’t be in premolt for two weeks.
    And as for the enclosure, yes it’s too big. It should only be a couple of times bigger than the spooder’s legspan.
    http://arachnoboards.com/gallery/img_0472.38389/

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  3. Theneil

Theneil Arachnodemon Active Member

USA
    There's no need to feed your sling every day. Once or twice a week is plenty.

Is there a water dish in there?
    If an enclosure has room you should always try to supply a water dish.

The enclosure is definitely bigger than it needs to be but in my opinion, if it doesn't cause the spider to be stressed then it's fine.

Regarding the regalis, it probably is premolt. leave it be until it opens up it's burrow, which could be a few weeks.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  4. Jayk

5. sasker

sasker Arachnobaron

I would definitely put it in a way smaller enclosure if it were my spider (like 1/4 of the current surface area, or even smaller). It will have much less problem finding food if it is in a smaller enclosure. I agree with @Moakmeister that two weeks if rather long for a sling this size, but it does not appear to be too thin, so I would not worry too much about it.

Just to compare: this is how I housed my G. geniculata sling. I will likely rehouse it next molt.
    DSCF2624.JPG

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  6. Jayk

The blue thing the mealies are on was the water dish but i got worried that its still pretty small and didnt want to struggle getting in and out so i turned it over

7. boina

boina Lady of the mites Arachnosupporter

Germany
    I know you didn't ask for an opinion but may I just suggest you rehouse before the next molt? They grow a lot with one molt and in that enclosure it may not be able to stretch properly after the molt and end up with leg deformities.

• Agree Agree x 5
  8. RonnyT

RonnyT Arachnosquire

What you need is a 2 or 4 oz deli cup. That sling is tiny. A small enclosure like a 2 oz deli discourages burrowing, causes the sling to feed more, and as a result often grows faster. I will attach a picture so you can see what I'm talking about.

Attached Files:

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Mvtt70

Mvtt70 Arachnobaron

It's usable but its pretty big, I'd probably prefer one around half that size though if possible.

10. sasker

sasker Arachnobaron

Thanks for the tip. It is a temporary enclosure and admittedly on the small side. I will follow your advice and rehouse asap. Thanks! :)

• Like Like x 2
  11. Jayk

Update:

G.Pulcripres has now been rehoused into one of those small sling vials, it has also eaten :D
    P.Regalis is still deciding on when it wants to morph into a beast.

also got A.Geniculata, P.Metallica and C.Versicolor on its way on Wednesday courtesy of The Spider Shop in the UK.

• Like Like x 1