Enclosure sizes???

Paulhodgkinson

Arachnopeon
Haha chris, I'm only on my third T at the moment. From reading theses threads you are definitely correct :)
What to do when the Ts out grow the enclosures?........Buy more of course!
my intentions exactly! I want more! yagerman ha. I've a bit to learn in looking after arachnids but I've been turning over stones looking for inverts since I was about 4 years old. I've always wanted spiders in the house since I was a kid. My parents wouldn't allow it. I spent 6 years as a royal marine commando, it wasn't possible, went back to my parents, wasn't possible! I've got a wife that's willing after a few years and my 3 young boys absolutely love watching them. Im loving having T's. This is my life story and introduction to the group haha

Paulhodgkinson

Arachnopeon
The GBB setup decorated nicely. But definitely needs a terrestrial style container as they are terrestrial tarantulas. They can be found living at the base of succulents just above the roots w/in the plant's leaves sort of.
I fully agree with what I have read since... I have read so much on 'semi arboreal' pah. Anyway, I've bought a new enclosure. Thanks buddy

Paulhodgkinson

Arachnopeon
What to do when the Ts out grow the enclosures?........Buy more of course!
I'm in the process.... but need to get to grips with what I have at the moment. I'm looking at a. Gen or an L para. I can't be accused of giving them too much terrestrial space surely lol.

YagerManJennsen

Arachnobaron
I'm in the process.... but need to get to grips with what I have at the moment. I'm looking at a. Gen or an L para. I can't be accused of giving them too much terrestrial space surely lol.
I recommend the A. genulata. Even as slings they have ferocious appetites and will always eat. They grow pretty fast which is an added bonus so you don't have to wait long before you have an 8 inch (leg span) spider on your hands.

Paulhodgkinson

Arachnopeon
I recommend the A. genulata. Even as slings they have ferocious appetites and will always eat. They grow pretty fast which is an added bonus so you don't have to wait long before you have an 8 inch (leg span) spider on your hands.[/QUOTE
I was swaying to the L. Para, only because I have a b smithi and an a. Genic looks sort of similar, apart from the speed, the colours, growth rate and size haha but maybe I'm just thinking of a big black one (ooh er)

YagerManJennsen

Arachnobaron
Just get whatever T suits your fancy. There are no wrong choices once you're far along enough into the hobby although I wouldn't recommend you to an Old World Species.

Paulhodgkinson

Arachnopeon
Yagerman, I'm not ready. I don't know if I will be.... I don't know if I wanna ride that train. :)

YagerManJennsen

Arachnobaron
I think it's better to never be ready than it is to be overly ambitious and make the irresponsible choice of getting something that is way out of you're league. The most important thing is to stay in your comfort level.

cold blood

Staff member
View attachment 209451
I think you should remove those skinny pieces of wood you have in there, and give them a decent piece of cork bark. They can hide in, and actually have their legs flatten out on.
This is quality advice. I always suggest a wider piece of wood to give them a nice stable hunting platform as well as a place to stretch out on.

Travis is on the hunt.... I'm putting Exo terras on e bay lol
Nah, don't do that...with the kids enjoying them and with your obvious interest, you are bound to need them at some point. You may use other enclosures, but it might be good to have a couple of nice ones for viewing special a t...like your first pokie down the line...also your avic will be fine in there as an adult, so there's one you can use in the future. Although ventilation seems less than ideal, many many keepers keep avics in them without issue, and if you can indeed drill some ventilation on the sides, all the better. Just replace the screen tops with drilled plexi or acrylic;)

Why don't the guys on arachnoboards make some factual caresheets??? Plenty of knowledge on here :cool:
Because species specific care sheets would be painfully redundant. There are a handful of ways to keep a t...Africans you keep dry, Asians you keep moist, etc...the more you learn about genera and home ranges, the less you will ask (or worry) about species specific care.

Just bought this for the c. Cyano, minus the uber realistic decor and I'm gonna buy another so I can stack my b smithi on top :) the Ts may grow out of them but when they do...... What am I supposed to do with an empty vessel???!!!!! o_O Fill it ha
Nice looking enclosure.

As for the empty vessel, everyone knows the answer to that...of course you get another t:bucktooth:

And as its is only my third T I'm still spending too much money on enclosures. It's just that I like to see them though ha
A lot of people do this, others prefer to spend on spiders. Those tubs (I use sterilite) are cheap easily ventilated, strong and super functional...plus they're stackable. They may not offer the same crystal clear vision, but you can certainly watch them and see them well enough...its just:cold: terrible for taking pics through. But I can make a set up, which is very spider friendly, and spend $10 or less. My point is, you can put your $ wherever you choose, but don't feel like you need to spend more for the betterment of the spider.

I vote genic as well. Get one and you will see its nothing like a smithi at all.

IMO the LP is the most boring looking of all the large spectacular eating South Americans...they're ok, but they couldn't dream to be a geniculata. Also it won't take too many orders before you get an LP as a freebie....they're a dime a dozen....easy to breed, regularly bred, and they have huge monsterous sacs...you'll have some fall into your lap eventually without buying one.

Both species eat like mad and grow very quickly.

Envoirment

Arachnosquire
I have a GBB the same size as yours and have recently transferred it into a medium flat faunarium. They're £11 on amazon, so not too expensive and have plenty of room for your T to grow into. Just add a piece of cork bark to make a hide and a bunch of fake plants for anchor points and it should live happily in it for a good while, or even be its final enclosure. And you won't have trouble feeding/doing cage maintenance. :)

Paulhodgkinson

Arachnopeon
I have a GBB the same size as yours and have recently transferred it into a medium flat faunarium. They're £11 on amazon, so not too expensive and have plenty of room for your T to grow into. Just add a piece of cork bark to make a hide and a bunch of fake plants for anchor points and it should live happily in it for a good while, or even be its final enclosure. And you won't have trouble feeding/doing cage maintenance. :)
Hi, thanks but I've already bought one, it's in the above thread somewhere.... I'll bear that faunarium in mind for the future

Paulhodgkinson

Arachnopeon
An update if anyone cares, just to show your efforts weren't in vain haha Bought some cork and reconfigured the enclosure for the a. avic. He/she didn't care at all whilst I did it. Was going to drill some holes in the the side to cross vent but I thought I'd take a chance as there are vents at the front next to the doors which will provide a through flow circulation. Waiting on the the acrylic enclosure delivery for the C. Cyano. Another pic to follow when that arrives :)

Attachments

YagerManJennsen

Arachnobaron
An update if anyone cares, just to show your efforts weren't in vain haha Bought some cork and reconfigured the enclosure for the a. avic. He/she didn't care at all whilst I did it. Was going to drill some holes in the the side to cross vent but I thought I'd take a chance as there are vents at the front next to the doors which will provide a through flow circulation. Waiting on the the acrylic enclosure delivery for the C. Cyano. Another pic to follow when that arrives :)
It looks good, but maybe still a bit to large.

Abyss

Arachnoknight
Let me know if ya want rid of the exo terras. Im always on the lookout for more enclosures hHa