Enclosure sizes???

Paulhodgkinson

Arachnopeon
From reading lots of posts on here and being relatively new to the hobby (6 months in) I'd like a bit of advice please....

I have a GBB juvie 2.5/3 inch leg span and an A. Avic very similar size. (I also have a b smithi 4.5 inch but I'm pretty confident her enclosure is fine)
I have read many comments regarding enclosures being too big for slings as they don't feel secure. Both of my Ts in question are housed in Exo terra 45x30x30 vivs.

Regarding my GBB I read quite a few times how they like a bit of height so opted for the arboreal sized viv.

Are the vivs to big for these juvies? Or have I made the mistake in thinking that a bit more space for them is better? GBB in first pic. Avicularia in the second. Any other feedback welcome. Thanks in advance

Attachments

Last edited:

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
Even though GBB´s might be a little more capable of climbing than other terrestrials, they still are a terrestrial species and a fall might injure them. I wouldn´t keep them in an arboreal set up like this, but rather keep them in standard terrestrial set up with some more anchoring points for webbing than usual.

YagerManJennsen

Arachnobaron
Your Avic enclosure looks to big IMO. It looks like it made that webbed spot because it couldn't find any other more secure place, I may be wrong though. And in general Exo Terra's are frowned upon for avics because they do not offer any cross ventilation and promote stuffy cages. You might want to try a sterilite tub that is a bit smaller and put some holes along the sides

Paulhodgkinson

Arachnopeon
:):)
Even though GBB´s might be a little more capable of climbing than other terrestrials, they still are a terrestrial species and a fall might injure them. I wouldn´t keep them in an arboreal set up like this, but rather keep them in standard terrestrial set up with some more anchoring points for webbing than usual.
I've tried to give the anchor points and will look at getting a shorter viv.
Suppose This viv will do For a pokie in a few years time with a bit more experience under my belt

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
:):)
I've tried to give the anchor points and will look at getting a shorter viv.
Suppose This viv will do For a pokie in a few years time with a bit more experience under my belt
You do have a decent amount of anchor points, but with this height also some heavy risks if a fall occurs. For me the standard KK (Exo Terra Faunariums) have worked very well for my GBB. I allow mine a little more height than the standard 1.5x the legspan, maybe 2-2.5x, but any more than that will be risky IMO. And yeah, you might of course use this enclosure for an arboreal later :). Good luck finding new enclosures and the redecoration. For me it´s a part of the hobby I really enjoy!

Paulhodgkinson

Arachnopeon
Your Avic enclosure looks to big IMO. It looks like it made that webbed spot because it couldn't find any other more secure place, I may be wrong though. And in general Exo Terra's are frowned upon for avics because they do not offer any cross ventilation and promote stuffy cages. You might want to try a sterilite tub that is a bit smaller and put some holes along the sides
I could drill some holes in the sides with a tile/glass drill bit to give some cross ventilation obviously not with the T in!!! could hot gluing some cover higher up in the viv work??

YagerManJennsen

Arachnobaron
I don't see why that couldn't work. You could try using taller hides/sticks/leaves etc and maybe try putting them around the sides and back instead of concentrating them in the back wall.

Paulhodgkinson

Arachnopeon
You do have a decent amount of anchor points, but with this height also some heavy risks if a fall occurs. For me the standard KK (Exo Terra Faunariums) have worked very well for my GBB. I allow mine a little more height than the standard 1.5x the legspan, maybe 2-2.5x, but any more than that will be risky IMO. And yeah, you might of course use this enclosure for an arboreal later :). Good luck finding new enclosures and the redecoration. For me it´s a part of the hobby I really enjoy!
Thanks, same here, I'm worse with the landscaping in my tropical fish tank tho... Or is that blasphemy talking about that on here :anxious:

Paulhodgkinson

Arachnopeon
I don't see why that couldn't work. You could try using taller hides/sticks/leaves etc and maybe try putting them around the sides and back instead of concentrating them in the back wall.
I'll do that. It sounds so simple when suggested.... or maybe I'm simple haha

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Reading through here and seeing those cages. Maybe a pic of your B smithis cage wouldn't be a bad idea. You wasted a lot of money on those cages btw. Where did you hear that GBBs like a bit of height??? Not very good setups.

louise f

Arachnoangel
upload_2016-4-28_19-56-58.png
For such as the Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens i use this kind of boxes, easy to use, clean, fits in height and easy to make holes in. I would not use that big terrarium you are using, to height + a fall can have fatal injuring for the spiders. Same goes for the avic. + I think you should remove those skinny pieces of wood you have in there, and give them a decent piece of cork bark. They can hide in, and actually have their legs flatten out on.
For aboreals i keep them in this enclosures, the adults.

IMG_1652.JPG

Just a little insight so you have an idea of how it could look like..;)

Paulhodgkinson

Arachnopeon
View attachment 209451
For such as the Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens i use this kind of boxes, easy to use, clean, fits in height and easy to make holes in. I would not use that big terrarium you are using, to height + a fall can have fatal injuring for the spiders. Same goes for the avic. + I think you should remove those skinny pieces of wood you have in there, and give them a decent piece of cork bark. They can hide in, and actually have their legs flatten out on.

View attachment 209462

Great advice. Constructive advice Thanks.

Travis21v4

Arachnopeon
View attachment 209451

View attachment 209462

Where did u buy that tub?? If u dont mind lol