enclosure question

mschemmy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I will be receiving my Lasiodora Parahybana tomorrow {D and would like some advice on an appropriate enclosure. I know they grow quickly and I will need to provide larger enclosures in the future but for now I have a clear plastic box (shoe box size) and a five gallon aquarium. The seller told me the T (which is a female) is about 3" to 3 1/2". What would be the best choice to start out with? Thanks for the advice.

mschemmy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
It is a terrestrial species. They can get rather large 8-11 inches so they need a good bit of room once they reach that size. I have my substrate built up pretty high so it won't injure itself in a fall.

Coe Whitt

Arachnopeon
sweet

Wow thats awesome they can really get that big! I just got 3 pokies as slings but I dont think they will reach that size I just might have to look into getting one of them. I have been haven this thing on aboreal species though. I like how they spin their webs and how aggresive they are. How is that species temperment?

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
they can reach up to 9 inches, they are skittish, can be defensive,and kicks lots of hairs.

that narrows it down for lasiodora parahybana...

not sure how big the one your getting is, but i keep mine in a 12L or 12.7 quart strilite tub(the kind with teal snap handles) and it does fine. my female is roughly 6 inches or so.

but if you are going with the traditional aquarium id suggest a 10 or 20 gallon(20 gallon if your really into naturalistic terrariums) but a 10 gal would suffice.

cheers

PitViper

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'd say a 10-20 gallon for when it get big, thats what i keep my adult Ts in

forrestpengra

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I keep my 7.25" LP in a 20g low with a nice big water dish and live plants. She loves it ;)

Buckwheat

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
This is how I keep my big girl.

The Rubber maid tubs can be purchased at Wally World for about $4.50 or so and provide enough room for them to grow. The tub size is about 42 gallon i believe. If yours is smaller a large Kritter Keeper will do for sometime yet. Then move her to something like this and as they say..set it and forget it.

*POOF*