Enclosure preference: cornered or rounded?

silentarantula

Arachnopeon
For deli cups/box, which would you rather to use a rounded or cornered (squared/rectangle)? Mainly for 8 oz. to 32 oz. since obvious the bigger (2.5 gallon and +) ones come commonly come in square/rectangle shaped enclosure and 2.5 and 5.5 oz. come in rounded cups/vials.

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
For slings I prefer the rounded boxes. Once they reach juvenile size I place them in cornered kritter keepers. (I have no idea about what the measurements you´re mentioning means. I´ve learned inches to partake in this forum, but when it comes to oz. and/or gallons I just give up :banghead: )

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
My slings/juveniles are in rounded deli cups, which works fine. My larger ones are in cornered cages, which works best with fast species (as many of mine are). Rounded sides would allow them to get up to high gear and go flying out of the cage easier. Makes it more unpredictable just where they'll end up. Corners slow them down a little.

Sana

Arachnoprince
My slings/juveniles are in rounded deli cups, which works fine. My larger ones are in cornered cages, which works best with fast species (as many of mine are). Rounded sides would allow them to get up to high gear and go flying out of the cage easier. Makes it more unpredictable just where they'll end up. Corners slow them down a little.
Thanks for the smack forehead moment. No wonder that marshalli had such an easy time getting up to full speed.

mistertim

Arachnobaron
Interesting. Never really thought of that. Just out of curiosity have you posted any pics of some of your enclosures/collection?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Interesting. Never really thought of that. Just out of curiosity have you posted any pics of some of your enclosures/collection?
He has. I believe it's under a thread called Stan's Visit. The author of TKG stopped by Poec's house. It's the only thread I'm aware that Poec posted pics of his extensive T collection.

silentarantula

Arachnopeon
For slings I prefer the rounded boxes. Once they reach juvenile size I place them in cornered kritter keepers. (I have no idea about what the measurements you´re mentioning means. I´ve learned inches to partake in this forum, but when it comes to oz. and/or gallons I just give up :banghead: )
i agree. hate the standard or metric system sometimes. for slings, i tend goes with ounces measurement since they are mostly 1.5" or 2" upward 4" diameter.

yeah, i noticed that with rounded size. they can climb out easier.

Sana

Arachnoprince
Poec's tarantula room is impressive. I'm thinking that his breeding operation must average as many hours as a full time job. It's immense.

mistertim

Arachnobaron
He has. I believe it's under a thread called Stan's Visit. The author of TKG stopped by Poec's house. It's the only thread I'm aware that Poec posted pics of his extensive T collection.
Just found it and took a look. Really impressive T room you have there, Poec!

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Found the thread, awesome setup that I can only assume has gotten larger.

Makes me a little envious, then I think of cleaning/watering/maintenance for all those... :drowning:...maybe when I retire...

As for the enclosure, square corners means more flat sides means easier ventilation hole drilling (I don't like the soldering iron hole look).

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Found the thread, awesome setup that I can only assume has gotten larger.

Makes me a little envious, then I think of cleaning/watering/maintenance for all those... :drowning:...maybe when I retire.

Yes, maintenance does take some time. I have twice what I did then.

My digital camera disappeared during one of my wife's house cleanings, and I haven't replaced it yet. Stan took the pics posted in that thread.

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Yes, maintenance does take some time. I have twice what I did then.

My digital camera disappeared during one of my wife's house cleanings, and I haven't replaced it yet. Stan took the pics posted in that thread.
Do you fill bowls with syringe/needle through a vent hole or do you manually go through and open each enclosure?

I counted ~350 enclosures. I know what you're thinking and no, I don't have a life. If that's doubled... just wow. It takes me 3-5 minutes for 10 tarantulas... my wife would kill me if I was with my little ones for any time over an hour.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Do you fill bowls with syringe/needle through a vent hole or do you manually go through and open each enclosure?

I counted ~350 enclosures. I know what you're thinking and no, I don't have a life. If that's doubled... just wow. It takes me 3-5 minutes for 10 tarantulas... my wife would kill me if I was with my little ones for any time over an hour.

Most of the cages are stacked, so I have to lift them, and open them to water/clean/feed. I have a couple bar stools that I set them on when I'm working. Slow going, but good exercise.

I also have a large collection of palms and tropical plants in the yard (my motivation to move to Florida), and play electric guitar at occasional local gigs. Always something to do and learn. A 'modern day Renaissance man' as Navin R. Johnson would say.

mistertim

Arachnobaron
Hey Poec, what kind of guitars do you have? I play some too and have a Les Paul and a Martin acoustic.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Hey Poec, what kind of guitars do you have? I play some too and have a Les Paul and a Martin acoustic.

I'm a big fan of Gibson designs, but don't want to take out loans to buy them, so I have some Epiphones (Les Paul, SG, 335, Flying V). I've been on the Duncan forum for the last 10 years and have learned how to swap pickups, change magnets in pickups, change coils in pickups, change potentiometers, and wire push-pulls. Handy stuff for when you want to change your EQ's and tones.

MikeC

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My preference is for cornered enclosures.
I've found it easier to lean slabs of cork, or tuck branches into them for better stability. If I'm not using cork tubes, I also like to think the corners let the spider feel more comfortable having a crevice to fall back on in its retreat as well. (That's purely speculative, but I've noticed some species definitely like to build in the corners.)

Rounded sides would allow them to get up to high gear and go flying out of the cage easier. Makes it more unpredictable just where they'll end up. Corners slow them down a little.
As others have said, this never occurred to me. Leave it to Poec to give us ingenious words of wisdom to live by. :D

Thanks for the smack forehead moment.
You're telling me.
Time for some Advil.