Enclosure lighting

FynSenth

Arachnopeon
Hi all!

I'm the proud owner of 2 beautiful T's (B.smithi and L.klugi) and looking forward to expanding my collection in the future. In my previous home I wasn't allowed to keep pets (student housing) but I did anyway. Because I wasn't allowed my T's lived in an enclosure which resided in a specially manufactured closet which was locked most of the time. Now, finally, I can have them out in the open so I can see them a little more. The terrariums don't have any lighting build in but I would like them to be a little more visible. I've tried a small LED strip but especially my B.smithi seems to hate the light. I guess its a little to bright because it starts pacing and trying to escape its enclosure (actually biting the glass). This frantic behaviour ceases immediatly when I turn of the light. Now I know you're thinking, "how do you know the smithi dislikes the light and not the substrate or whatever." I use coco fibre and a little peat moss and it has a shelter which it uses most of the time so that shouldn't be the problem. Now for the question; what kind of light is known to make the T's a little more visible but doesn't get them pissed off. I don't want to use big light bulbs because they're just painfully ugly to look at in my opinion.

So please, any suggestion?

Gr. Vince

Tym Hollerup

Arachnoknight
You ever try using the light switch in your bedroom? I don't recommend any light directly on a Tarantula by any means. A good way too add stress onto the T in my opinion.

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
I just use a flashlight whenever I want to see 'em clearly. Most of the time they get whatever dim light trickles in from my covered window, and a very tiny incandescent aquarium bulb, which is really just a step above a nightlight.
I jsut use the light to make sure they get a better idea of when day/night is on cloudy days/winter.

IME, having a bright light only makes them hide more, kind of defeating the purpose. You could probably do something with red light or whatever, but anything colored looks gaudy, in my opinion.

Armstrong5

Arachnosquire
Not really goona help you but I have kinda the same question.....put some pothos in several of my tanks and I have read that UV bulbs are bad for T's so what can I use for the plants?

Hatr3d

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I strongly suggest you to forget about putting lights in/out of your T enclosures, all Tarantulas are lucifugous animals, they hate light and since respect is the first feeling you should direct to your tarantulas you shouldn't put a light on 'em just for visibility purposes.

To mechanically answer your question: I think that very low lights on the dark blue side of the spectrum should be more tolerable.

@ Armstrong: Any pothos plant does good with just room daylight, I have several of them both in enclosures and potted for ornamental purposes in my house and they never stop growing. No artifical lights obviously.

FynSenth

Arachnopeon
Ok, understood. So no lighting their previous living in the dark was better for them, haha. It actually is a shame because they are such remarkebly beautiful creatures. I guess, I'll keep the lighting to a minimum (just the lights of my livingroom). One more question; how about red lights? I've seen dozens of pictures on the net in tarantula housings.

jgod790

Arachnoknight
Red lights work wonders! That's what I use. And it does not bother the tarantula. It is practically pitch black to them. I assume blue lights might work to. But I have no personal experience with blue lights.

FynSenth

Arachnopeon
So I could basicly use a strip op red LED's? Or are there any special red lights you should use?

jgod790

Arachnoknight
I don't know what your talking about, I just get the red bulbs that every pet store should have. They are usually labeled "night time bulb" or something like that.

webbedone

Arachnobaron
All tarantulas are nocturnal so the abhore light be definition, the trick is they are literally almost blind in the blue and red spectrum. I myself do not use any lighting for any of my Ts. A small flashlight is more than enough to quickly find your beloved pet/ take a good look/or do any maintanace or first aid work. If you absolutely MUST have a light on it for extended period of time make sure it is in the colour that Ts are blind to which is red and blue like previously stated, and that the bulbs you have are not high UV bulbs

grayhound

Arachnosquire
Red lights work wonders! That's what I use. And it does not bother the tarantula. It is practically pitch black to them. I assume blue lights might work to. But I have no personal experience with blue lights.
I agree..... RED led's are awesome, and don't bother your tarantula

FynSenth

Arachnopeon
Thanks! I'll go and find some right away. I think red LED's will even make them look a little more eerie too ;)

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Not really goona help you but I have kinda the same question.....put some pothos in several of my tanks and I have read that UV bulbs are bad for T's so what can I use for the plants?
We use compact flourescents for our planted enclosures.

Let it be said that not ALL Ts hate light. Some are very photosensitive, but some will actually bask in it.

OP~ They make small round light fixtures that you can mount underneath a shelf that you just push to turn on. They are battery operated, but that's the only additional idea I can think of. :)

Motorkar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
For photographing purpouses I use aquarium lightning, but few months now I prefer just a normal daylight and a fkesh.

For viewing purpouses or if I want to show someone my spiders, I use normal flashlight.

Armstrong5

Arachnosquire
Ok but I thought UV was bad for the T's and the red light bulbs from pet stores are red night time bulbs for herps which are UV bulbs?

HotPocket

Arachnopeon
Ok but I thought UV was bad for the T's and the red light bulbs from pet stores are red night time bulbs for herps which are UV bulbs?
The red bulbs are heat lamps for herps. Not uv so you are good to go. Just watch the wattage so you don't cook you pets because some of them can put off a lot of heat.

phily1579

Arachnopeon
Yeah i agree totally with Tym. Never use lights on a tarantula no matter what. The darker the room the betta. I use a flashlight when i need to c them.

I am a tarantula, n i say Make my room Pitch Dark!! Thank u.

---------- Post added at 05:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:21 PM ----------

Also keep them out Of The sunLight, and Sun!!! Put them where the sun dont shine.. loli:clap:

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You can get red bulbs that aren't heat bulbs at Walmart.