Enclosure for new young scorpion

ComicSans

Arachnopeon
Hello,
I recently just got my first scorp, an emperor, and I am super excited about it! I did a ton of research and did my due diligence about a lot of stuff, however I was looking to end up with an adult scorpion and ended up only being able to find a baby, so my 10 gal from what I understand is too big for it right now. I was wondering if I would be able to keep it in a decent sized mason jar for the time being, as I plan on upgrading it to a 2.5 gal enclosure after like 2 molts and wanted to have it in something a little nicer than a deli cup for now. I couldn't find anything about keeping them in glass jars while their small on the internet, so I just wanted to see if anyone here would know if that would be okay; thanks!

gzophia

Arachnoknight
Hello,
I recently just got my first scorp, an emperor, and I am super excited about it! I did a ton of research and did my due diligence about a lot of stuff, however I was looking to end up with an adult scorpion and ended up only being able to find a baby, so my 10 gal from what I understand is too big for it right now. I was wondering if I would be able to keep it in a decent sized mason jar for the time being, as I plan on upgrading it to a 2.5 gal enclosure after like 2 molts and wanted to have it in something a little nicer than a deli cup for now. I couldn't find anything about keeping them in glass jars while their small on the internet, so I just wanted to see if anyone here would know if that would be okay; thanks!
Hi, congrats on your new addition! I'm glad to hear that you did plenty of research; while 10 gallons is good for an adult, it might be too big for a baby. How big exactly is it? And are you certain it is a "true" emperor? Many "emperors" sold within the US are often mislabeled.

The below thread has very useful care info for this species:
Also, @Joey Spijkers made a very useful guide for Heterometrus spp. care; I believe this genus is similar to Pandinus sp. in terms of husbandry so I would recommend checking it out!

ComicSans

Arachnopeon
Appreciate the links! I'm not sure if I have a reason to believe it's not an emperor, as the store I got it at was a smaller, more hobbyist oriented place, but I do know theres easy ways to tell when it gets bigger like its claws, so I'll probably be able to tell in a few months.
It is pretty small, like an inch or less with the tali up, so I wasn't sure if a 2.5 gal setup would be too big or not. Would love to move it there right away if that would be an okay size though!

gzophia

Arachnoknight
Appreciate the links! I'm not sure if I have a reason to believe it's not an emperor, as the store I got it at was a smaller, more hobbyist oriented place, but I do know theres easy ways to tell when it gets bigger like its claws, so I'll probably be able to tell in a few months.
It is pretty small, like an inch or less with the tali up, so I wasn't sure if a 2.5 gal setup would be too big or not. Would love to move it there right away if that would be an okay size though!
No problem!

I see; I'm not the most experienced-- I think 2.5 gallons might work, but more input is needed.

Regarding the species ID, do you have a picture of your scorpling?

ComicSans

Arachnopeon
Yea I did know about the care being similar which is good, I was looking for either one when I was looking for my first scorp. However tho if it is AFS I did get a little scamazed lmao

gzophia

Arachnoknight
Yea I did know about the care being similar which is good, I was looking for either one when I was looking for my first scorp. However tho if it is AFS I did get a little scamazed lmao
Yep, that is a common scam. Sometimes deliberately, other times with full scammy intentions 🙄
These are still really cool and big scorpions though, and care is pretty much the same. All the best to your little one; I hope it grows big and strong!

Outpost31Survivor

Arachnoprince
Yes you have to watch who you buy rarer Pandinus imperator (Emp), Heterometrus spinifer, and Heterometrus longimanus from. Oftentimes, you might get the common as day Heterometrus silenus.

There is a chance you have a genuine Emperor because they do not get their distinctive chela until the fourth or fifth instar. What color is its telson?

If the telson (venom bulb) is lighter than the fifth metasomal segment (tail segment), it is a Emperor. Usually cream or pale yellow color that darkens reddish brown upon maturity.

If the telson (venom bulb) is equally dark as the fifth metasomal segment (tail segment), it is a common as day Asian Forest Scorpion (Heterometrus silenus) sold everywhere for $15-$25 USD. The coloration of the telson remains the same from juvenile to adult.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Yes you have to watch who you buy rarer Pandinus imperator (Emp), Heterometrus spinifer, and Heterometrus longimanus from. Oftentimes, you might get the common as day Heterometrus silenus.

There is a chance you have a genuine Emperor because they do not get their distinctive chela until the fourth or fifth instar. What color is its telson?

If the telson (venom bulb) is lighter than the fifth metasomal segment (tail segment), it is a Emperor. Usually cream or pale yellow color that darkens reddish brown upon maturity.

If the telson (venom bulb) is equally dark as the fifth metasomal segment (tail segment), it is a common as day Asian Forest Scorpion (Heterometrus silenus) sold everywhere for $15-$25 USD. The coloration of the telson remains the same from juvenile to adult.
Good point.

Post some more pictures @ComicSans

ComicSans

Arachnopeon
Really appreciate the info, I’ll take a closer look at it when I’m back home. I think I’m also gonna look into getting one of the smaller tarantula cribs for it before it’s a little bigger those look mad nice and seem relatively inexpensive.

ComicSans

Arachnopeon
srry if pics a little blurry btw, lemme know if you need a better one, was trying to get a good angle but didnt want to agitate it too much

HOITrance

Arachnosquire
While I could be very wrong, and I am just basing this off of the last picture you provided, the telson does appear to be same color as the last segment of the metasoma. I would happen to guess that it is indeed a Heterometrus spp. I have both, and my P.imperator had an amber colored telson from 2i/3i on

gzophia

Arachnoknight
Okay here’s another pic, hopefully this helps check out the tail color a little better
Yeah, unfortunately, this looks like a Heterometrus sp. to me.
While I could be very wrong, and I am just basing this off of the last picture you provided, the telson does appear to be same color as the last segment of the metasoma. I would happen to guess that it is indeed a Heterometrus spp. I have both, and my P.imperator had an amber colored telson from 2i/3i on
Agreed.

HOITrance

Arachnosquire
Oh well, I appreciate everyone helping out, still excited to keep it and watch it get bigger and stronger!
Even though it sucks you were scammed out of extra money and what you actually wanted, your attitude towards it is more of what the hobby needs! Hopefully you'll post pics of its growth here and there! Best of luck!

ComicSans

Arachnopeon
Thanks, I just love all animals and have always wanted to keep something unique and cool like these guys; if this one goes well I'll probably look into getting a nice T or a desert hairy scorp to switch it up. I most likely will post some progress pics too!

Joey Spijkers

Arachnoprince
Yeah, on Pandinus imperator and some other Heterometrus species the telson would be very pale/off white at this stage. That means it's almost certainly H. silenus.

CRX

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
OP, what is your substrate? These guys love to dig, I have a AFS a bit bigger than yours and he has a whole tunnel system he dug out in his substrate. Its a mix of bioactive soil and sand with a little coco coir. You can replace the bioactive stuff with repti soil. You can get all 3 at the petshop. I see alot of big wood chips and gravel in your pictures, which worries me as those can be deadly to scorpions and their delicate skin. It is important they have a substrate amenable to burrow construction.

IMO 60/20/20 soil/sand/coco mix works well for me, but I encourage others input.

edit: Are those white pebbles that fertilizer stuff that comes in potting soil? Please man, you cannot use regular potting soil for animals. It has stuff for plants that will hurt/kill them.

Last edited: