Enclosure building as a hobby

ThatSpooderGuy555

Arachnopeon
Hey Arachnoboards, I was curious to see how many of my fellow T enthusiasts are big into customizing and building their own enclosures, versus having them pre-made or shipped with the supplies to do so.

The reason I ask is this: over the last few weeks, I've purchased several variants of enclosure, ranging from glass terrariums, to aquariums, to the hand-made acrylic builds. However, I realized the sky-rocketing price of buying pre-made, and decided to improvise. What I mean, is that I actually purchased a pack of 30 "ice cream" cups with dome lids, allowing me to make enclosures for both arboreal and burrowing sp. without any issues (spiderlings and slings I should note). I would love some feedback, and will share photos if they're requested.

Just trying to start a convo about housing here, so feel free to let this thread run wild!

Last edited:

ColdMash

Arachnopeon
Hey Arachnoboards, I was curious to see how many of my fellow T enthusiasts are big into customizing and building their own enclosures, versus having them pre-made or shipped with the supplies to do so.

The reason I ask is this: over the last few weeks, I've purchased several variants of enclosure, ranging from glass terrariums, to aquariums, to the hand-made acrylic builds. However, I realized the sky-rocketing price of buying pre-made, and decided to improvise. What I mean, is that I actually purchased a pack of 30 "ice cream" cups with dome lids, allowing me to make enclosures for both arboreal and burrowing sp. without any issues. I would love some feedback, and will share photos if they're requested.

Just trying to start a convo about housing here, so feel free to let this thread run wild!
I prefer making my own ones because it's easier to customise to my needs. Plus the biggest problem at this point is how expensive the pre-made enclosures are :/ the cheaper ones are just glass cubes with bad ventilation although the exoterras are quite nice. I also find that it's way more fun albeit time consuming to make your own ones.

Mikeyspikeyz

Arachnopeon
Honestly, I have a small collection, with couple of pet holes....So the enclosures are the most enjoyable part! You wouldn't know there are spiders in there if the crickets didn't mysteriously go missing! I love watching videos of unique enclosures and really think making your own is part of the fun.

Gnarled Gnome

Arachnoknight
Doing the enclosure is definitely a big part of the charm for me. It combines aspects of several different creative hobbies with customizing a miniature ecosystem. Right now I'm working on a tall bioactive, naturalistic terrarium for some Damon diadema. I just carved a waterfall out of styrofoam. Working on painting it now, then I'm going to seal it with silicone. I have another project in the works that I'm taking my time with. It's a 360 degree enclosure with accessible hiding areas. It'll have a central cork tree log.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Let's see what cups you mean, can't visualize them.

I use all sorts of things for containers.

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer

The reason I ask is this: over the last few weeks, I've purchased several variants of enclosure, ranging from glass terrariums, to aquariums, to the hand-made acrylic builds. However, I realized the sky-rocketing price of buying pre-made, and decided to improvise. What I mean, is that I actually purchased a pack of 30 "ice cream" cups with dome lids, allowing me to make enclosures for both arboreal and burrowing sp. without any issues (spiderlings and slings I should note). I would love some feedback, and will share photos if they're requested.

I builded lots of terrarium back when i was really into the hobby!

ThatSpooderGuy555

Arachnopeon
Doing the enclosure is definitely a big part of the charm for me. It combines aspects of several different creative hobbies with customizing a miniature ecosystem. Right now I'm working on a tall bioactive, naturalistic terrarium for some Damon diadema. I just carved a waterfall out of styrofoam. Working on painting it now, then I'm going to seal it with silicone. I have another project in the works that I'm taking my time with. It's a 360 degree enclosure with accessible hiding areas. It'll have a central cork tree log.
Oh wow! I'd love to see pics!!

ThatSpooderGuy555

Arachnopeon
I prefer making my own ones because it's easier to customise to my needs. Plus the biggest problem at this point is how expensive the pre-made enclosures are :/ the cheaper ones are just glass cubes with bad ventilation although the exoterras are quite nice. I also find that it's way more fun albeit time consuming to make your own ones.
Oh I absolutely agree. I love building my own!

lostbrane

Arachnobaron
I’m cheap and lazy so whatever I can get for a low price and prebuilt for the most part I go for.

So deli cups, Sterilite tubs, and kks for me. Although I rather like using larger Exo Terras (I was lucky enough to acquire three of these for free) for larger arboreal species.

I mean, I do certain modifications to them but nothing like assembling everything myself.

Nonnack

Arachnoknight
I do everything myself from scratch, except glass cutting, I don't have tools and skill for that. For me it is big part of hobby, really enjoy it. Also when you want to have lot of nice terrariums making it yourself saves lot of money. You can search forum for my threads, and check my gallery. There are some pics and ideas.

ThatSpooderGuy555

Arachnopeon
I do everything myself from scratch, except glass cutting, I don't have tools and skill for that. For me it is big part of hobby, really enjoy it. Also when you want to have lot of nice terrariums making it yourself saves lot of money. You can search forum for my threads, and check my gallery. There are some pics and ideas.
:astonished: That is an incredible enclosure. I love the bark layout

junewolf

Arachnopeon
I'm planning on making a few little enclosures out of lanterns, but I would like to go much bigger from there. I will post the lanterns I'm working with later, when I get off work today! :D I am struggling with increasing the ventilation in them, since the walls are glass panels. I was thinking about removing some of the glass panels and putting in plexiglass with drilled holes. Do you guys know of a way to make air vents in glass? What do y'all think? <3

Mikeyspikeyz

Arachnopeon
I'm planning on making a few little enclosures out of lanterns, but I would like to go much bigger from there. I will post the lanterns I'm working with later, when I get off work today! :D I am struggling with increasing the ventilation in them, since the walls are glass panels. I was thinking about removing some of the glass panels and putting in plexiglass with drilled holes. Do you guys know of a way to make air vents in glass? What do y'all think? <3
You can use a small drill bit or a dremel. though you will want to sand the edge so you don't leave any sharp glass bits. With it being round is where the issue comes, would be tough, but with a steady hand you could do it.