Enclosure and ventilations

NeutralFace

Arachnopeon
Keep your enclosures clean by removing uneaten prey and bolus frequently and the ants won't have a reason to get into them. I've see others set up platforms for their enclosures that are on legs, like a small table, then they put the table in a dish of water and wipe petroleum jelly on each of the legs for a double defense barrier. Kind of a pain, but if you're really concerned about the ants then there shouldn't be a length you won't go to in order to prevent them.
Well it is a commitment, thanks for answering my questions!

NMTs

Spider Wrangler
Arachnosupporter +
Is this enough substrate? And should i clean the enclosure first?
I would fill it up to about 1/2" below the side holes as you marked. That way when the sling digs it won't block those holes right away with the sub it piles up. Be sure to pack the substrate in there good - they don't like loose, fluffy substrate. You can clean it with just water and a drop of dish soap, be sure to rinse it thoroughly and you'll be good.

NeutralFace

Arachnopeon
I would fill it up to about 1/2" below the side holes as you marked. That way when the sling digs it won't block those holes right away with the sub it piles up. Be sure to pack the substrate in there good - they don't like loose, fluffy substrate. You can clean it with just water and a drop of dish soap, be sure to rinse it thoroughly and you'll be good.
1/2" below the holes? Sorry, I'm having a hard time understanding.
Like this? Won't it be the fall too tall?

Attachments

NeutralFace

Arachnopeon
I've also bought tweezers and paintbrushes, should i also wash them? Also my enclosure has magnet lids, is that a problem?

Last edited:

NMTs

Spider Wrangler
Arachnosupporter +
1/2" below the holes? Sorry, I'm having a hard time understanding.
Like this? Won't it be the fall too tall?
Yes, fill it to just a little below the holes so the sling has room to pile up substrate when it digs without covering up the holes. Falling is less of a concern with slings than with larger individuals.

I've also bought tweezers and paintbrushes, should i also wash them? Also my enclosure has magnet lids, is that a problem?
Washing these tools won't hurt, just be sure to rinse well. The magnetic lid is not an issue as long as the magnets work to hold the lid down well - some magnetic closures work better than others, and you just want to be sure the T can't push the lid open.

NMTs

Spider Wrangler
Arachnosupporter +
Looks good! Is the substrate packed in there firmly? If so, it should be good to go.

NeutralFace

Arachnopeon
Looks good! Is the substrate packed in there firmly? If so, it should be good to go.
Yes, i feel like its packed enough. I'll ask this now, should i transfer the t in a bigger enclosure when it's about 3"?

Last edited:

NMTs

Spider Wrangler
Arachnosupporter +
I tried adding aquarium plants, is that alright? (One of the pictures doubled)
The plants are fake, right? If yes, that's fine. The sling may decide it would like them in a different location and move them, but you can just take them out if they become a hassle. If they're live plants, you probably should get rid of them - they'll require too much water.

NeutralFace

Arachnopeon
The plants are fake, right? If yes, that's fine. The sling may decide it would like them in a different location and move them, but you can just take them out if they become a hassle. If they're live plants, you probably should get rid of them - they'll require too much water.
Thanks very much! Should I be worried about temperature, because it gets around 90°f (32°c to be exact) during afternoon?

Last edited:

NMTs

Spider Wrangler
Arachnosupporter +
Thanks very much! Should I be worried about temperature, because it gets around 90°f (32°c to be exact) during afternoon?
Those temps are OK as long as it is getting that high gradually and the temp is not varying widely each day (ie: 60 degrees in the morning, then up to 90 in 30 minutes and then cooling back down to 70 degrees in the next 30 minutes). You'll need to fill water dishes frequently when it's that warm, but the T can handle it. Make sure the enclosure isn't in direct sunlight, as well.

NeutralFace

Arachnopeon
Those temps are OK as long as it is getting that high gradually and the temp is not varying widely each day (ie: 60 degrees in the morning, then up to 90 in 30 minutes and then cooling back down to 70 degrees in the next 30 minutes). You'll need to fill water dishes frequently when it's that warm, but the T can handle it. Make sure the enclosure isn't in direct sunlight, as well.
Understood thanks very much!

goonius

Arachnoknight
Regarding your questions about the ants @NeutralFace , see if you can locate some fluon. Ant keepers use this to keep their ants from escaping their enclosures. It makes surfaces so slick the ants can’t climb on them.

Then go with NMTs’ suggestion of putting the enclosure in a dish of shallow water, but coat the outside of the dish of water with fluon and the ants will likely never be able to reach the water even. Then you have two barriers protecting your new tarantula.

Happy keeping. Your enclosure looks great!

NeutralFace

Arachnopeon
Regarding your questions about the ants @NeutralFace , see if you can locate some fluon. Ant keepers use this to keep their ants from escaping their enclosures. It makes surfaces so slick the ants can’t climb on them.

Then go with NMTs’ suggestion of putting the enclosure in a dish of shallow water, but coat the outside of the dish of water with fluon and the ants will likely never be able to reach the water even. Then you have two barriers protecting your new tarantula.

Happy keeping. Your enclosure looks great!
I see, I'll try buying it if possible. But if I can't does baby powder with alcohol work?
Thanks for the compliment too!

goonius

Arachnoknight
I see, I'll try buying it if possible. But if I can't does baby powder with alcohol work?
That may work. I haven’t tried it, only fluon for our pet ants, but I have heard of others using baby powder/alcohol with success. My daughter recommended petroleum jelly and said she has heard of that working.

Whatever you end up using you may just have to monitor it for efficacy, but I generally think having two layers of protection as a failsafe is a good idea if ants are a common issue.

NMTs

Spider Wrangler
Arachnosupporter +
You might try putting a ring of diatomaceous earth around the enclosure, too - ants hate that stuff...

goonius

Arachnoknight
You might try putting a ring of diatomaceous earth around the enclosure, too - ants hate that stuff...
I'd be worried that this could somehow get transferred into the enclosure by accident and harm the tarantula. Also DE is quite bad for the human lungs in indoor scenarios. Probably best to stick to totally nontoxic solutions, imo.