Empty 20 gallon tank lying around...what to put in it?

Jakob

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Okay so I have this tank lying around. It's your typical 24"x12"x16" 20 gallon high tank. I've been trying to figure out what to put in it for a while now.

Here are the conditions the inhabitants would have during the year.

Avg. summer temps: 84F-88F
Avg. summer humidity: 65%-75% sometimes with extremes of over 90%

Avg. winter temps: 68F-72F, but that can be regulated
Humidity I can regulate easily as well...

I really like Crested Geckos, but obviously couldn't keep them in there.

Are there any Geckos that would do well under those conditions?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Jake

Pixie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Sounds like the perfect home for a Goliath bird eater (theraphosa blondi)

:D

Pixie

JPost

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yea! A T. Blondi.

How much do one of those run at? $150? I know I'm not at all ready for that big'ol guy but I'm just curious... :)

usumbaraboy

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
nonononono go for a L parahybana or a salmon pink they are the best. if u dont want to worry about the hairs then get a salmon pink. i have one and its like the size of a candian tonnie. thats the one u should get insted of scorpions or geckos. parahybanas are the best {D {D

ShaunHolder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
While it would be easy for me to reccomend a Tarantula or a Scorpion, It seems like you would rather buy a Gecko. Get one if you'd like, do some reasearch and find out what you like best.

If I where you, and Im not, but if I WAS, I would get the bird eater. ;P

Zombie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
JakeRocks said:
Okay so I have this tank lying around. It's your typical 24"x12"x16" 20 gallon high tank. I've been trying to figure out what to put in it for a while now.

Here are the conditions the inhabitants would have during the year.

Avg. summer temps: 84F-88F
Avg. summer humidity: 65%-75% sometimes with extremes of over 90%

Avg. winter temps: 68F-72F, but that can be regulated
Humidity I can regulate easily as well...

I really like Crested Geckos, but obviously couldn't keep them in there.

Are there any Geckos that would do well under those conditions?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Jake
Yeah, I have some, uh stuff" in my freezer I REALLY need to get out of my house.
They might start smelling after a while.
And if the feds show up, YOU DO NOT KNOW ME.

Seriously, as far as geckos go, a pair of Tokay geckos, Gekko gekko, would do great in there. The males bark at night once they are mature, it's a really cool noise, kinda like a duck during a rectal exam. (you cannot prove anything)

T. blondi would also fair well.

Eric.

Jakob

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
zombieagogo said:
Yeah, I have some, uh stuff" in my freezer I REALLY need to get out of my house.
They might start smelling after a while.
And if the feds show up, YOU DO NOT KNOW ME.

Seriously, as far as geckos go, a pair of Tokay geckos, Gekko gekko, would do great in there. The males bark at night once they are mature, it's a really cool noise, kinda like a duck during a rectal exam. (you cannot prove anything)

T. blondi would also fair well.

Eric.
I put this in the tarantula forum because I didn't know where else to put and with this one getting the most hits, it was my obvious choice.

Eric - I did think about the Tokays, however, I would like to keep a pair and this being a 20 gallon tank, wouldn't it be a little too small?

Thanks,

Jake

Silver.x

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Um, no, its not the obvious choice. It would either be in the Not So Spineless Wonders or the Watering Hole, preferably.

Aidan

LPacker79

ArachnoSpaz
Old Timer
i'd put a ball python in that
And then when the Ball outgrew it he'd have to find something else to put in the tank. I think Jake's thinking more towards an animal that could live their adult life in the tank.
I had a 20 gallon with 4 Bombina orientalis (Oriental firebellied toads) in it. The usual recommendation is 5 gallons per toad. Neat little guys, active during the day, pretty vocal.

Zombie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
JakeRocks said:
I put this in the tarantula forum because I didn't know where else to put and with this one getting the most hits, it was my obvious choice.

Eric - I did think about the Tokays, however, I would like to keep a pair and this being a 20 gallon tank, wouldn't it be a little too small?

Thanks,

Jake
Well it could stand to be a bit taller, I keep my breeding pair in a 20 high, but that is mostly just to accomodate larger plants. They tend to hang out at the top of one corner, only coming down at night to hunt. It is ultimately up to you, but I think they would be fine in a 20 long. Just get a couple of 8 inch pothos, a steady supply of feeder insects or pinky mice, mist the tank as needed, and you'll have a happy pair of loud, bite your ass in half if you come near us Tokays.

Eric

da_illest

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
LPacker79 said:
And then when the Ball outgrew it he'd have to find something else to put in the tank. I think Jake's thinking more towards an animal that could live their adult life in the tank.
and what exactly gave you that idea? i read that he just had an empty 20 gallon tank and didn't read that something had to stay in that tank it's whole life... either way, i'd house 10-15 firebellied toads in a 20 gallon.. but to me that's a waste of a good sized tank..

Jakob

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
da_illest said:
and what exactly gave you that idea? i read that he just had an empty 20 gallon tank and didn't read that something had to stay in that tank it's whole life... either way, i'd house 10-15 firebellied toads in a 20 gallon.. but to me that's a waste of a good sized tank..
Leanne said she THINKS, not she KNOWS - big difference. I never did state that I wanted somethig that would live there throughout its entire life, however, Leanne was right in thinking what she thought.

I wasn't necessarily thinking tarantulas either...more like an aboreal lizard of some type.

I think I'm going to go with the Tokay Gecko...they're neat and have that certain attitude of their own :}

They should be fun to keep.

Thanks,

Jake

da_illest

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
JakeRocks said:
Leanne said she THINKS, not she KNOWS - big difference. I never did state that I wanted somethig that would live there throughout its entire life, however, Leanne was right in thinking what she thought.
yep, i knew she thought... i was just wondering what gave her that idea? i didn't get that idea, so i posted a ball python.. ;P