Empties water dish within a day - help

ArachnidAmy

Arachnopeon
My Thrixopelma ockerti seems to empty her water dish within a day of me filling it. Soil collects in the dish and the water is finding its way into the substrate.

She's still a sling, probably about 2 inches. I use a small cap for the dish. The dish isn't moved or upended, so I have no idea how she is doing it.

Now I feel like it's way too moist in there for her.

Any help would be appreciated!

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
First, post a picture of the whole enclosure set up, if you can.

Second, yes, slings are more delicate on that sense (the 'humidity' one, I mean) than juve/adults, but if the substrate (or part of that) is already moist (if not wet, which isn't good) let that dry a bit.

cold blood

Staff member
My Thrixopelma ockerti seems to empty her water dish within a day of me filling it. Soil collects in the dish and the water is finding its way into the substrate.

She's still a sling, probably about 2 inches. I use a small cap for the dish. The dish isn't moved or upended, so I have no idea how she is doing it.

Now I feel like it's way too moist in there for her.

Any help would be appreciated!
You are describing the "wicking effect". Any bits of substrate or webbing touching the edges of the dish will cause the water within to wick out and into the substrate...which is why you are getting web sub. Clean the rim of the water dish thouroughly.

Being that its winter and everything is already drier, it should dry pretty quickly....ockerti don't mind a little moisture in the sub.

Matttoadman

Arachnoknight
I’m also wondering if they bite holes in their lids? I find I have had to replace mine every couple months or so. They no longer hold water.

Goldcup

Arachnopeon
I routinely find clean empty water dishes a day after I filled them.
I’ve not seen it but I suspect come of the little devils splash it out
As the sub will be wet a good ways out from the dish.