Emperor Scorpion

Dustynn89

Arachnopeon
I have a friend who's emperor died recently. Apparently he had one before this on that didn't make it as well. The enclosure had a heat pad as well as a lamp and water bowl. I don't know much about scorpions. Can anyone teach me what the best way to keep these guys is so I can relay the information?

Faing

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I use a room heater to keep up the temperature but if he's using an under tank heater it's best to put it on the side. Never liked heat lamps for inverts. Ventilation is important but too much ventilation can be a nuisance too. Neat scorpions, not easy to come by anymore.

wodesorel

Arachnosquire
There's a good care sheet pinned.

I use a deep moist substrate like cocofiber or organic peat moss so they can bury and so the humidity stays high, rewetting as neededto keep it moist but not flooded. Some airflow is needed but they are tropical so need 80% RH or so which usually means a covered lid. Temps should be between 80 and 90 if possible, I heat the room now but used to use a heat lamp without problem. Hides should be provided to reduce stress until they can dig a burrow. I do around 4 crickets a week for adults and 5i and up, 2 crickets for 4i and smaller with prekilled offered once a week if not kept with a parent for safety.

If they're young they can have bad molts even if the humidity is good, and I lost a newish adult once (right before the import ban) that must have taken damage during shipping. It could be husbandry, or it could be coincidence that he's losing them. Lifespan is recorded as up to 8 years, but not all will live that long and an adult is around 2 years old already.

Dustynn89

Arachnopeon
Thank you guys! He plans on getting another, I will be sure to help where I can, best I can with what you have given me. :) I am considering one for myself as well.