Emperor for sale at local petco ! read

stephen sav

Arachnopeon
So i have an emp and my friend who works at petco said they recently got one in.
I went and look at it it was hiding but from what i could see the tail didn't have a reddish tint but everything else looked like an emperor, the price was $70. My question is is this a real emperor or a Red clawe? Would petco mislabeled something because it says "African Emperor" it looks like an Emperor, jet black but the tail wasn't red so thats the only thing throwing me off! Also I thought they were banned how would petco have one? thank you !

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
So i have an emp and my friend who works at petco said they recently got one in.
I went and look at it it was hiding but from what i could see the tail didn't have a reddish tint but everything else looked like an emperor, the price was $70. My question is is this a real emperor or a Red clawe? it looks like an Emperor, jet black but the tail wasn't red so thats the only thing throwing me off! Also I thought they were banned how would petco have one? thank you !
Could be an H. spinifer?

stephen sav

Arachnopeon
no its claws are shaped like an emperors its def not hetrometrus. i think it is an emperor i\'m going to buy it

Scorpionluva

Arachnoangel
You Should take a pic of it and post it here. Petco is known for their " emperor" sales and almost every time its a heterometrus species. Not always but most of the time just because the claws are shaped like an emp doesnt mean its an emp. Need many more specific shots to truly ID it. Could possibly be P dictator also

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
You Should take a pic of it and post it here. Petco is known for their " emperor" sales and almost every time its a heterometrus species. Not always but most of the time just because the claws are shaped like an emp doesnt mean its an emp. Need many more specific shots to truly ID it. Could possibly be P dictator also
Don't H. swammerdami have bigger claws like P. imperator? I dunno, I'm still learning.

Scorpionluva

Arachnoangel
@Collin Clary @Galapoheros would be the best 1's to ID this but im sure theyll need better pics to determine if its a true emperor
The telson is red so at 1st glance i woulda thought it is an emperor but im by no means an expert on either genera

Scorpionluva

Arachnoangel
If they fought right away and it is a pandinus species then most likely the 1 you picked up today is P dictator and they probably cant be kept together

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
If they fought right away and it is a pandinus species then most likely the 1 you picked up today is P dictator and they probably cant be kept together
OR...the "Emperor" he had before is actually P. dictator and this one is the REAL P. imperator.

Directed by M. Night Shyamalan, coming Spring of 2019.

Scorpionluva

Arachnoangel
OR...the "Emperor" he had before is actually P. dictator and this one is the REAL P. imperator.

Directed by M. Night Shyamalan, coming Spring of 2019.
Possible but unlikely petco had the real emperor since they are on CITES ...unless it was sold to petco by a private seller who had no idea what they really sell for now

Chuck131

Arachnopeon
Yes it is true, Emperor Scorpions can now be bought again in the United States as long as they are captive bread here in the United States. I just found out about it today. Saw my first one for sale also at a Petco store and yes it had the red tipped stinger. I asked about it and the employee, that was very knowledgeable, informed me that it was a captive bread African Emperor and that they just got it in.
The price was $79.95 US but they are running a half price sale right now that would make $40.00 Us. Hurray Emperors are back. :):):)

stephen sav

Arachnopeon
Yes it is true, Emperor Scorpions can now be bought again in the United States as long as they are captive bread here in the United States. I just found out about it today. Saw my first one for sale also at a Petco store and yes it had the red tipped stinger. I asked about it and the employee, that was very knowledgeable, informed me that it was a captive bread African Emperor and that they just got it in.
The price was $79.95 US but they are running a half price sale right now that would make $40.00 Us. Hurray Emperors are back. :):):)
yea thats what i paid, nice.

Nicole

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I doubt Petco is sourcing captive bred inverts and selling the adults
They are 100% captive bred emperors from a large colony built after the imports stopped coming. Up until recently they were only getting spare males, but now juveniles of both sexes are in the stores.

Danalemp1216

Arachnosquire
Cool, I had no idea
They are 100% captive bred emperors from a large colony built after the imports stopped coming. Up until recently they were only getting spare males, but now juveniles of both sexes are in the stores.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Emp for sure. I asked Petco if they would buy any of my CB imperators but they said "no". I guess they want some kind of documentation, I didn't ask for more info, just didn't think about it at the time.