Emp Communal

tmanjim

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Need the direction of the people who know. I picked up 5 adult Pandinus Imperators yesterday. I have them in a large KK. It has about 4 inches of coco fiber and I put 2 cork bark hides and a water dish. They started out split up between the hides but this morning, they are all in one. Here is the question - Should I keep the substrate moist by misting daily or less?

H. laoticus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
5 in a large kk?? aren't those only about 2.5 gallons? That's way too small for 5 adult emps unless you have the XL KK. I would suggest at least a 10 gallon tank and a 20 gallon would be ideal. Keep the soil moist by dumping water onto the substrate until it's all moist.

Aschamne

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The substrate should be damp, not moist. Its easy to maintain with a false bottom.

Art

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
A lot of people like false bottoms. I didn't use one though, and my emps seemed like happy campers.

The major difference is that you have to attend to a cage more often without
false bottom. I would say I averaged misting every other day. Sometimes daily, sometimes a few days.

I used coco substrate and had good ventilation. overall:
No big deal either way if you are going to watch it well!

gromgrom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
moist soil on the top layer, more damp on the bottom
3-5 gallons per adult emp. they need room to move and the like.

tmanjim

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I do not have a false bottom, but they are all together in one hide and seem to be doing great. I will mist every other day and keep a close eye on them. Thanks for all the input. I may be getting addicted to scorps now and that could really spell trouble. I also picked up a desert hairy.

T.ass-mephisto

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I also picked up a desert hairy.
just wanted to add that the desert hairy is non-communal. just in case you did not know. i mist everyday with my tank because the heat lamp i have dries the topsoil out fairly quick. it is also very common for emps to just pile on top of each other. but they still like to have enough room to get away if the want to. i have three in a 29 right now. most of the time they stay all together in the same burrow but every now and again they split up for a day or so.

tmanjim

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Thanks, I have my desert hairy all by himself. Great scorp by the way. I will keep a close eye on the Emps.

winter_in_tears

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
The best thing to do for Emperors is give them a huge azz tank (like 20-40 gallon), keep the substrate damp, make sure that each individual is eating. Keep them warm.