Elephant eetle at zoo

ZephAmp

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I find this funny; They went all the way to Costa Rica to capture adult males (lord only knows what kind of parasites they could have) when there are plenty of CB breeders in Europe (and, if they look hard enough, right here in the US.)

What

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I find this funny; They went all the way to Costa Rica to capture adult males (lord only knows what kind of parasites they could have) when there are plenty of CB breeders in Europe (and, if they look hard enough, right here in the US.)
LOL! I missed that when I saw this right before the maintenance... I was going to say, maybe 1 of 2 in zoos in the USA...grubs of these were one of the first illegal bugs I was offered when I first joined the hobby!

If only they werent illegal for us normal ppl to keep as opposed to zoos. :(

Bugs In Cyberspace

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
They require permits to have and keep because they are not native to your state.

I would be surprised if anybody in the US was raising these currently. I didn't read the article, but I imagine a trip to collect these beetles would be a great excuse to visit CR and write off the trip as a biz expense.

BeetleExperienc

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
He Peter,

That's what I was thinking. Would be much easier for them to order them than go catch them. They don't live very long as adults, and who knows how long ago they eclosed.

Plus, the article said that they caught two males - don't know what type of breeding program they've got going, but...

Steven

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
i dont understand how you would need a permit to own them...because here in ohio you can own anything from alligators to girraffes and only need permits for native animals and things....if you even find a native animal along side the road dead, you cant touch it...and if you find deer sheds in the woods or on your land...you cant touch them...not saying that law should be listened to..

Louise E. Rothstein

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That isn't entirely true.
When former Governor Strickland concocted an "exotic animal emergency" he used the alleged "emergency" to ban a whole bunch of species upon the very day before he left office in order to ensure that nobody would find out that his "emergency provisions" were actually word-for-word renditions of the same species bans that the voters had actually rejected the last time around.

Whiners whimper that the new governor doesn't enforce this "enough."

Well.

I should hope not.

Witch-hunting many different species...

Creating "criminals" where there aren't any ...

Phooey.