Eighth Tarantula?

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
I only have seven tarantulas right now and I have basic tarantula care down. I have: A chalcodes, 2 G rosea, G pulchripes, LP, and 2 B albo. I plan on sticking to terrestrials but I am open to suggestions. What would you guys recommend?

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
A genic or gbb would get my votes if you want something other than brachypelma, grammastola, or Aphonopelma

--J.Haas

Beary Strange

Arachnodemon
I think the answer really depends on what your long-term hobby goals are. Do you want OWs? OW arboreals? Are you planning on sticking to NW?

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
Thrixopelma-ockerti is a medium fast grower, very hardy, and beautiful strawberry pink rump.

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
I'm looking at more NW ones. Not sure if I want to jump into OW yet.

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
im also going to say we need more info.what are you wanting out of your T's.we know you dont want a OW yet.. but what do you want in the future.. ei if your ultimate goal is poecs, we dont want to push you for brachies...
.. sure the options others gave are great T's but so are over half the species available ;P but looks like you may have 1 possibly 2 with some gusto to feed and almost no requirements on anything but feeding [lp and maybe pulch might be slight exception depending how you care for them as slings, but my lp on dry sub so no constant humidity].. but are you wanting to keep the calm sp? one who might give you a little more tude? one that pushes your care requirements more? one who keeps you a little more on your toes [flighty but not bitey] wanting one to stand there ground? something you need more caution with because of hairs? so many questions can help us push you to other animals then personal favorites newbie T's ;)

Beary Strange

Arachnodemon
I'm looking at more NW ones. Not sure if I want to jump into OW yet.
My question wasn't what you want right now (since you made that perfectly clear in the first post) but where you want to go in the long run. That's the best way to decide what you should get now, as far as NWs go. Phormictopus sp. for example would be a good foray into hyper-defensive Ts.

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
Any Pamphobeteus spp. Would also be an excellent choice :)
ill second that, tho they are quick, and tho my "Machala" is kinda skittish, they are still a fun sp to keep.. my love for her and her colors almost matches that of my A. genic fm.. or even my Phormictopus Sp. purple [now thats a scary thought!]

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
both are a little different from the norm
*glares at my pet rock of a sp purple and my p. Cancerides who thinks hes part obt this week* yea.. You could say that.. Vut id def rank both spp (phorm and pamph) as a "pin-up boy/girl" when it comes to beauty

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
Yeah, I was thinking maybe a step or two up from the LP. So maybe skittish but not too aggressive? Thanks for all the suggestions!

awiec

Arachnoprince
*glares at my pet rock of a sp purple and my p. Cancerides who thinks hes part obt this week* yea.. You could say that.. Vut id def rank both spp (phorm and pamph) as a "pin-up boy/girl" when it comes to beauty
My sp Purple likes to hide, makes me a little sad as I wanted something sassy when I bought him but the Pamphos make up for it.

As for the OP GBBs are a nice step up as you will have something that doesn't play pet potato when you open the cage but shouldn't overwhelm you. Pamphs and Phormics are also a possibility if you want something with personality and a big appetite but require more moist cages than what you have had. Thrixopelma always gets my vote as my old girl is the most chill spider I have and eats so daintily. Homoeomma also isn't bad as they come in nice colors but they can be confused with other genus that look similar to them.

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
My sp Purple likes to hide, makes me a little sad as I wanted something sassy when I bought him but the Pamphos make up for it.
Pff i wanted something sassy.. Bought a genic... She does nothing.. Still wanted something sassy.. Got my sp purp (btw john verified he did breed mine) he sits there like"just take my picture and be done with it...".. Got psapms, more acantho's and my pamph.. Still nothing.. this is the first time iv seen attitude from any T...and its a sassy lil ~2" cancerides. And it not so much a "ill bite you"... Its a "hoomin touched contaner, now i go veroooooom *flys around cage like an ADHD cheetah on a sugar high*.." xD im begining to wonder if he is a ninja..

---------- Post added 10-27-2015 at 10:19 AM ----------

Op- id say a genic or other Acantho is the next best step.. This gives you both something that isnt going to fly out of the cage, but also something that actually requires some moisture, but possibly (and i say this loosely seeng as mine dont do it) get a little "mouthy" with you

Last edited: