Eight Legged Catpaws

owlbear

Arachnopeon
That's the same water dish i use (the one in Grammostola sp. pic i mean) :)
They are so handy! I bought a little plastic set of thread holders and use the holders to pupate super worms and the lids as water dishes. So many uses for a $2 item.

owlbear

Arachnopeon
So I got a letter in the mail telling me I had unclaimed wages from a prior job. A week later after looking into it I got a check. So of course I splurged on new spiders. Petcenter had idiothele mira and moncentropous balfouri on sale - two of my dream spiders and my desired first OW species. I feel ready to care for them after reading so much and working with my other spiders, so I went for it. Added a little aphonopelma seemmanni blue and got a free psalmopoeus cambridgei too. I've been so excited for this for days, and here they all are in their new homes.

"Sage" the p cambridgei is much larger than expected and will probably be rehoused next molt if not before. Sorry this is sideways, I don't know why that is...
image.jpg
"Teacake" the i mira, who has already built a trap door to her starter burrow! I am trying a different mix of substrate for my first obligate borrowers. It looks very wet but it's only damp to the touch. It holds humidity and shape very well. Her water dish was wiped clean after this picture, as was the m balfouri's.
image.jpg
"Shortcake" the m balfouri. She was excavating her burrow when I left for work. Hopefully that means I'll get glimpses of her since its against a wall.
image.jpg [
"Muffin" the a seemanni, who was the most skittish of them all.
image.jpg

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
Nice nabs.. Id say move your camb into a 32oz mine go into them as soon as i get them till ~3" even my 1/2" are seen silking up the place like crazy

owlbear

Arachnopeon
Nice nabs.. Id say move your camb into a 32oz mine go into them as soon as i get them till ~3" even my 1/2" are seen silking up the place like crazy
Thanks! I decided to go ahead and rehouse him after all. I had this sitting around ready for either the l megatheloides or the a metallica anyway but they're both a ways off from needing the space so now it's his.
pcam_newhome.jpg

The top is braced with plastic, but I'm going to watch for chewing, that's my only worry. My p. irminia never climbs very high in hers, preferring her tube web, so I don't foresee it being an issue. But I'll still be watching...

Last edited:

owlbear

Arachnopeon
Two fresh sheds today! "Oolong" the p. scrofa finally put on a new coat.
p_scrofa_new_coat.jpg
I tried to get good shots of the molt using a cup of water... did not work so well sadly. And then the molt tore. Ah well.
p_scrofa_molt.jpg
"Licorice Twist" the l. megatheloides also molted and is much bigger already. I'm loving having this species.
l_emga'.jpg

The i. mira also shed, but is of course hidden. I am happy to report that the m. balfouri and p. cambridgei have both taken a meal for me already. The m. balfouri has adapted the starter tunnel I made and the p. cambridgei chose to web up under the plastic leaf I added, so I get to see them both even when they are 'hidden.'

owlbear

Arachnopeon
Today has been an excellent day. It's my roomies birthday and she's been wanting an m balfouri for a while so I picked one up for her. I added a little avicularia diversipes to the order for me. It was that or a hogna carolenensis and an acanthogonatus francki but I've wanted an a diveripes longer. Then I found what appears to be a little immature male h carolenensis in a hallway, haha. I know they spray for pests here monthly so I put him in a bottle for now (just to take home). Once he matures I'll likely release him but he can live a nice life with me until then.

image.jpg

Oh, and, "Cherry cordial" the B smithi finally molted, along with my p irminia "Rooibos"! I've only seen glimpses of each but Rooibos looks to be huge and she has all her gorgeous red chevrons now.

Last edited:

owlbear

Arachnopeon
Went to a local expo today and found two really outstanding pickups. A gorgeous aphonopelma hentzi "female" (I don't trust expo vendors on this... haha) for $20 and an ephebopus uatuman for $15! I've wanted both species for a while but have had a surprisingly hard time finding either, so of course I took both home. "Fudge Brownie" and "Wasabi" have been rehoused and seem to be settling in well.
brownie.jpg
"Wasabi", who went for a jog up my arm before deciding he was alright with his new home. This little cup is of course just the one I took him home in, he has plenty of room to burrow now.
wasabi.jpg
Also this morning I woke up and couldn't get back to sleep so I spent some time checking on all the spiders. I finally got a decent shot of "Cupcake" (a. versicolor) with her nice colors.
cupcake.jpg
"Sage" the p. cambridgei is out so much more than my p. irminia. Already love this one.
sage.jpg
And finally, somewhat off topic, but I found a really fantastic big cork round for my boa at the expo too. He absolutely loves it, hasn't left it since I put it in for him. He's so pretty.
nannerpie.jpg

owlbear

Arachnopeon
Wow it has been a while. I have so many pictures but uploading them is a pain because they're all on this phone. So for now I am just posting my favorite pics. I'm hoping to get a nicer camera some time after New Years, hopefully then I can get better pictures.

First up is Gelato! The little fuzzball a geniculata that seems to be in pre molt but still wants to eat. I'm hoping for a female since all the slings I got with her have molted since she last did. She's become one of my favorites. She had a red runner in this pic, it's hard to see. image.jpg
Two pictures of Res Velvet the b. Emilia. Very bery secretive little thing, I hardly ever see him out. So when I do I get lots of pictures.
image.jpg
image.jpg
The beautiful Rooibos graced us with his presence a few weeks back. I was awestruck. This was the first time I'd seen him out since he arrived here. I'm almost positive it's a he based on how fast he's grown.
image.jpg
And Fudge Brownie being her adorable self. She's so beautiful, I just love her.
image.jpg

I hope to have more pics soon! My e uatuman, c cyaneopubescens, l megatheloides and my g pulchripes all molted. Meanwhile all three avics, my b albopilosum and my I. Species Dominican seem to be in pre molt. Possibly also my hapalopus large - haven't seen her since the last picture I posted, and she's closed herself in. Fingers crossed that I see her or at least her legs again soon.

owlbear

Arachnopeon
Hehe, thank you! Believe it or not most of the ones you see there have molted (at least) twice since I got them. I like watching them grow, it's so rewarding.

owlbear

Arachnopeon
No pics, just yet anyway, but my i. species Dominican has molted and is still tinier than my pinky nail. And yet already so blue. My i. Mira also molted and actually sat out of its burrow for a while the other day. The little monster is already a molt away from needing a bigger home, which means it's probably a boy. Ah well. My c. cyaneopubescens, p. cambridgei and a. versicolor have also molted, along with the l. megatheloides and the h. carolenensis. If I have time I hope to snap a few pics tomorrow. Also, Gelato still hasn't molted but I believe I saw her making a mat on Monday...! Fingers crossed please.

I also wanted to say, now that I have had time to come to terms with it, that my tiny euathlus sp. red sling did not make it. I am still not entirely certain why. The little one never burrowed, ate or moved much after arriving and being rehoused. It was packed superbly and shipped overnight with the g. pulchra (which has done great), I do not blame the vendor. I was absolutely shattered when I found it in a death curl and spent all night crying. I am still not ready to try working with the species again and have not gotten any more tarantulas since. But I am finally at peace with it.

Last edited:

owlbear

Arachnopeon
Gosh it's been a while. I've been super busy, but all the spiders are doing great! I snapped a few quick shots today to share.

First of all here's Fido, my hogna carolinensis that I caught at work the day before they sprayed for bugs. Little thing is so fun to watch. I gave it a nice big tupperware now that it's grown some. Beginning to wonder if this pretty thing might be a 'she'...

Punkin' Pie, my hapalopus sp. Columbia large, matured into a male about 3 weeks ago. I was both sad and happy. The good news, is that the man who bred him said he would like to have him back to pair off. So he's gone off to make baby Pies.

This one is a bit hard to see, I apologize - but I wanted to show how big my linothele megatheloides has gotten. I've renamed her to Muffet after a spider boss from a game I played recently and loved.

And my tiny new phormictopus canderides, McNasty. I've been wanting a spider with attitude, and cancerides are so pretty, I couldn't pass up the chance to nab one at the expo this weekend.

A bit blurry, which makes me sad, but Root Beer the brachypelma albopilosum has gotten so fuzzy!

Finally, I had to sneak in a shot of our new Mexican hognose snake, Frito Pie.

That face...!

I am going to try and remember to get pics this coming feeding day. Everyone has grown so much since I last posted, many have been rehoused!

owlbear

Arachnopeon
Long time no post. Just moved to a new place and got some lenses for my iPhone, which is still how I take my pictures. Figured I'd give some updates!

brownie.jpg cherry_Cordial.jpg cherry_pie.jpg gelato.jpg oolong.jpg

Click for bigger, I believe... new to this new forum style. Fudge Brownie is still fat and happy. As you can see my b smithi Cherry Cordial and b vagans Cherry Pie have grown a ton. The b vagans especially surprised me - haven't gotten to see him out and about in months, looks like he's past due for a new home though. Gelato the a geniculata is NOT in a death curl, she just pounced her prey is all. And little Oolong the p scrofa is still little.

If you click through you can see a few more of my spiders who've grown. Hopefully I can do a nicer update of everyone soon, I've just been so busy.

Ah, also, the lens gives great details of the spiders but as a wide angle lens it makes their housing look so tiny! They all have 4x their leg width in reality, except the b vagans who will be rehoused soon.

Attachments

owlbear

Arachnopeon
I never think to snap pics of my beauties these days but some updates:

My very first t, the c. versicolor, is sadly a male. However, he is gorgeous and healthy and has at least one more molt to go. Attached is a picture of him.

My two psalmos are both mature and confirmed female. I am utterly delighted. No pics at the moment but I'll share soon.

My a. metallica had a bad molt and passed, and my "confirmed female" aphonopelma hentzi molted male and passed about a month later after refusing food. I have also acquired a poecilotheria regalis, who I absolutely adore. I will try to get a bunch of updated pictures and post them here soon.

EDIT: ah, I nearly forgot... my l. megatheloides matured male and began refusing food. He survived a good two months before finally succumbing. I miss him.

Also I forgot I never posted my other pickups. I also have added:

pelinobius muticus "maple"
tapinauchenius violaceus "sombra"
heterothele villosella "walnut"

Attachments

Last edited: