eggsac update for anyone who cares

armstrong82

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i just transferred all the little 1st instars from my rosea eggsac into their own containers. i put them into 2 oz. deli cups filled with 1/4 bed-a-beast. i came out with 182 spiderlings and 3 eggs-with-legs, for a grand total of 185 spiders. All this from a spider i didn't even mate. i don't even know what to do with that many tarantulas. whats the best way to feed them at this point? how fast will they grow? does anyone have personal experience with rosea slings?

Seinfeld-

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
haha, same story here. yet mine laid her sac about 10-12 days ago.
but i prob wont get that many eggs. look like a small sac. and im gonna give away like half. :eek: :?

Malhavoc's

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Pre killed crix bits or pinhead is the best way to feed and if your looking to get rid of some post them on the f/.s trade of this forum or contact breeders hwo may be intrestedi n trading or buying some.

SeanJo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
If you don't have anything to do with them, I'll take a few off your hands. Even though Rosea is a popular start T, I have yet to add one to my collection...

armstrong82

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
doesn't it cost like 25 dollars to ship a T? im gonna raise them until they are big enough to eat the smallest crix at a pet store, then sell, trade, and give them away.

Malhavoc's

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Well if you sell them normaly the buyer pays for his/her choice of shipping and also when tradding t's especialy hardy ones liek that priority usps opnly costs 5 dollars and at that size you can ship a good 30 or so in one package so it will be wel worth the trade.

mouse

Arachnolord
Old Timer
as far as i know rosies are slow growers. i have a 4 1/2" that i bought beginning of the year and just bought a little 1" that was born '03 so it is about 1 - 1 1/2 years old.
dianne

Malhavoc's

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I have to agree mouse, thats the problem with breeding them. Its quicker and usualy cheaper to simply buy the adults that get shipped from chilly So its rather hard on the existign wild populatiosn to be removing so many adults of a slwo growing species, it is of course great to see some people breeding them but msot bests are not many people will want them [or at least buy them] As it takes so long for them to grow their as commen as dirt, and not as atractive as say a B smithi or what have you. I'd have to disagree with my own previosu statement as I find them stunning but the general arachnopublic don.t

maxwellxxv

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
hey how are ya.... i recent;y posted that i have an rosey egg sack.. i followed all the procedures from all the advice and from the ":bible" ....the eggs are turning black.....not good....

Malhavoc's

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Deff not good, When did you pull them. prior to eggs with legs? perhaps it jsut wasnt furtile, it got puled before the sperm could soak in?

Gail

Arachnopixie
Old Timer
I have to agree that most hobbiest don't really like rosys, but I love them. It can be hard to sell little slings.
I also think it's good that they are being bred in captivity more. Eventually, the wild populations are going to be either depleted or regulated, then roseys will become popular again, simply due to lack of readily available cheap wild caughts. I personally, am hanging onto at least half of whatever I get from the females I've bred this year, care isn't that difficult, and it's like investing in fine wine - it may be years before they have any size on them, it may be years before they shut down importation, but when that time comes, I plan on having a nicely stocked spider cellar full of at least half a dozen seperate genetic lines of roseys :cool: yes, some say I'm mad... my arachnophobic husband in particular {D {D

Gail

WayneT

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I also think that the G. rosea's will be one of the next ones on the CITES list, and I'm glad when people have success in breeding them. I read a small article several months back where officials had found two large trunks at some recieving warehouse, stuffed with wc rosehairs. The trunks had never been picked up apparently and almost all of them had perished. It was a small article and I can't remember what paper it was in either. But it's incidents like this that will hasten their addition to the lists, I feel.
Congratulations on your success armstrong! I'm still waiting on my recently bred female.

mouse

Arachnolord
Old Timer
at the petshop that i bought my rosie, they have one that dropped an eggsack about a week ago. they are not selling the mom and they try to hatch the sack. wonder if they know how slow they grow... :? they wanted to move the mom, since the slings would get out of the mesh-lid. i told them to leave her be and just add some nylons across the top if needed. and i got told they only 25 slings that would survive since they all eat each other (not if you seperate them in time i said).
dianne