Eggs??? Help!!!

kletsgo

Arachnopeon
Hey everyone! I'm REALLY new to keeping spiders, I have a Chilean Rose Hair that was captive bred and a Fishing Spider (Dolomedes tenebrosus, to be exact) that was caught at my house. I've had both for a while, both are seemingly doing really well, but tonight I noticed that my fishing spider has an egg sac? She's been in captivity for a while now, and she's the only one in the enclosure, so I'm not really sure how it happened...and apparently the egg sacs can hold up to 1400 babies?? I'm DEFINITELY not equipped to handle that, so should I...

A, release her and the eggs
B, somehow get the eggs from her and find a safe spot for them
C, put her in a tank with super fine mesh at the top so when the babies do hatch, I can take her out, put her back in the original tank and then set the new tank outside, open, so the babies can be on their merry way
D, any other options? I'm really not feeling B, because I would feel horrible about taking her eggs away from her, as apparently they're really maternal spiders, and I would also worry about whether or not the eggs made it.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
She's been in captivity for a while now, and she's the only one in the enclosure, so I'm not really sure how it happened...and apparently the egg sacs can hold up to 1400 babies?? I'm DEFINITELY not equipped to handle that, so should I...
If she mated before you had her, she could very well have become gravid. Otherwise, it may be a dud sac.

What I would do is let her care for the sac. When the spiderlings emerge, she will guard them for a bit. They soon disperse to fend for themselves, at which point you can separate the mother and just leave the old container outside (with the lid off) for the spiderlings to get out.

kletsgo

Arachnopeon
Thank you!!! That's what I was thinking would be best. I honestly really hope it's a dud, I've had her for exactly a month though, so, I guess I'll know for sure in a few more weeks. I guess I need to do some research on how to care for babies.