Eggs emerging?

Link

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I started incubating a GBB egg sac a little earlier than normal, because the mother look really dehydrated and wouldn't drink. I pulled the sac, and she started drinking immediately. Then, I've had the eggs incubating for a week on robc's style hammock incubator out of the sac. Humidity around 80% at 80 degrees. I havn't been turning them very much, but I figured I didn't need to since the weight of all the other eggs isn't pressing down on them anymore.

My question is, some are starting to take on an oval shape. Does this mean they are emerging, or are those ones going bad? They are the exact same creamy yellow color as the others. I've never pulled a sac this early, so I don't know what the eggs look like just before they emerge.

Link

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
UPDATE:
Well, either nobody knows the answer to the question, or nobody cares to answer it. I found it out myself.

For anybody who cares to search this thread, when you notice the eggs starting to look oval, and they otherwise look healthy, they are about to emerge. My eggs emerged into the familiar eggs with legs.

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Congrats on your EWLs. I don't know much about spider eggs, but that is something to keep in mind should I ever try my hand at breeding. Thanks. Good luck with your babies.

Scoolman

Arachnolord
Old Timer
UPDATE:
Well, either nobody knows the answer to the question, or nobody cares to answer it. I found it out myself.

For anybody who cares to search this thread, when you notice the eggs starting to look oval, and they otherwise look healthy, they are about to emerge. My eggs emerged into the familiar eggs with legs.
Good to know Link. I have a GBB that may be getting ready to lay a sac soon. Thanks

Lawnmower599

Arachnosquire
you should see them moving inside the egg i think and lower the humidity abit it should be round mid 70 ;)

Scoolman

Arachnolord
Old Timer
according to the experienced (jmuggleston, robc): humidity should be in the low-mid 70s and temps should be in the low-mid 80s. I am currently following their advice with my female.
GBB breed and lay sacs during the monsoon, which causes severe flash flooding. This time period raises humidity inside their retreats considerably.

Link

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well done Link - I hope things continue to go well for you!
Thanks to everyone!

Musicwolf, our A. metallica girl is starting to look and act gravid. She's laying down a ton of web.

Hope it works out the same way as it did for my GBB. It took her more than 6 months to lay the sack. I thought it was a failed breeding attempt, because she mauled the male on the second night he was in her enclosure. What's more, he only had one pedipalp!! The other female I paired him with, ripped one of them off! Can you believe he got the job done! I raised that male from a sling, and I'm glad his name is living on.

Needless to say, I wasn't expecting a sack at all.

Then one day I noticed she closed off her den really thick, much thicker than normal. Sure enough, there she was coddling the sack!

Last edited:

MrEMojo

Arachnosquire
Thanks to everyone!

Musicwolf, our A. metallica girl is starting to look and act gravid. She's laying down a ton of web.

Hope it works out the same way as it did for my GBB. It took her more than 6 months to lay the sack. I thought it was a failed breeding attempt, because she mauled the male on the second night he was in her enclosure. What's more, he only had one pedipalp!! The other female I paired him with, ripped one of them off! Can you believe he got the job done! I raised that male from a sling, and I'm glad his name is living on.

Needless to say, I wasn't expecting a sack at all.

Then one day I noticed she closed off her den really thick, much thicker than normal. Sure enough, there she was coddling the sack!
That sounds like a TOUGH mm.
Definately wouldn't mind his genes passing on;)

Link

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
How early did you pull the egg sac.
Usually I pull them at 30-35 days already at egg with legs stage, but I think it was only two weeks. I wasn't sure when she closed her den off though, it may have been longer or shorter than I thought. The mother was distressed from dehydration, and her abdomen looked shriveled (more than a usual mom with eggs). So I took the sack and she immediately started to drink and plumped back up. I fed her some crickets too. I was worried for the mother's sake.