Effects of Venom on the Heart

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
To begin, I just want to say that I realize that the venom of any tarantula is not deadly and has never caused any human deaths.

That being said, I've read over many bite reports from different sites, and I'm curious about which species possesses venom that seems to trigger changes in the heart.

I've known for a couple of years that I have some heart problems, but I've recently had more problems and am undergoing more tests to narrow down what's happening. Could the venom of any species of tarantula be potentially dangerous to me? What cardiac effects are present?

Joe1968

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I cant come across to any medical journal pertaining to Tarantula bite, even anaphylactic shock due to Trantula bite is still debatable. the only thing I read so far are rashes, pant, irritations, but did not read any causing heart problems. I know L. mactans are neurotoxic, so in theory it could stop a heart beat.

danread

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Becca,

i know some people will disagree with me here, as i know there has been no deaths from tarantula bites etc etc, but if you really do have a heart problem, it might be a good idea to steer clear of some of the species with stronger venom, Poecilotheria, Heteroscoda, Pterinochilus etc. Thats not to say it would definitely have a negative effect on your heart if you were to get bit, but it could potentially be a risk. There is no doubt that a bite from an adult of the species i mentioned do have some fairly severe effects on your body, so it could well affect the heart.

Crotalus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
As far as I know, tarantula venom dont contain components that are aimed to mess with your heart, so called cardiotoxins. A incresed heartrate after a bite is more likely the effects of the adrenaline released due to the bite.

/Lelle

critterz

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I agree with Crotalus here. Don't believe any T venoms are considered nerotoxins.

Would like to add that I am very sorry to hear of your condition. I imagine it's very upsetting to be so young and have to worry about such health issues. Again, I empathize with you.

nightbreed

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
First I would like to say I'm sorry to hear about your condition and I hope everything works out for you.

I agree with Dan on this one, I've read too many bite reports that mention "painful chest cramps" to dismiss the possibility of a bite from some of the "hotter" T's causing complications to your condition, no one has done enough research on T venom and its effects on humans, so all we can offer is opinions and conjecture, at the end of the day it boils down to whether or not you're willing to take the risk with the limited evidence at hand.

Personally if I was in your shoes I wouldnt take the risk.

I just know Crotalus is gonna give me a verbal butt kicking for saying "hot" and "T" in the same sentence ;)

Crotalus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
critterz said:
I agree with Crotalus here. Don't believe any T venoms are considered nerotoxins.
I didnt say "neurotoxins". They ARE neurotoxic. But not, as far as I know, cardiotoxic.

/Lelle

Crotalus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
nightbreed said:
I just know Crotalus is gonna give me a verbal butt kicking for saying "hot" and "T" in the same sentence ;)
They are only hot if you boil or fry them... :)

/Lelle

CedrikG

Arachnoking
Old Timer
danread said:
Becca,

i know some people will disagree with me here, as i know there has been no deaths from tarantula bites etc etc, but if you really do have a heart problem, it might be a good idea to steer clear of some of the species with stronger venom, Poecilotheria, Heteroscoda, Pterinochilus etc. Thats not to say it would definitely have a negative effect on your heart if you were to get bit, but it could potentially be a risk. There is no doubt that a bite from an adult of the species i mentioned do have some fairly severe effects on your body, so it could well affect the heart.

I agree with you on this one

stonemantis

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
danread said:
Becca,

I've heard that too.

Windchaser

Arachnoking
Old Timer
pezzonovante said:
In Russia a man was bitten by a mature T.blondi a he died, his heart was ill !
Do you have any proof or supporting documentation for this claim?

Darwinsdad

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I belive (and I most definatly could be wrong) that a tarantula bite is not considered "deadly" to a adult in good physical health. Elderly, childern, and others who may have a compromised immune system could be another story altogether. Bottom line as said before, you need to make this call judged on your comfort level. If you have any misgivings about having a more potent species around the stress of that alone might be bad for you physicly.

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
pezzonovante said:
In Russia a man was bitten by a mature T.blondi a he died, his heart was ill !
So far there have been no documented cases of a tarantula bite causing a human death. Was it from a secondary infection or a direct result of the venom?

pezzonovante

Arachnopeon
Can`t say...don`t remember ! But you must understan how many people live in jungels where is no help for tarantula or snake bites and I personally think that in places like this have been deaths but no one knows about them !

Crotalus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Well, cant you just translate the article for us who dont speak russian?
A jungle is not allways a place where no medical aid is found (like on old Tarzan movies..), and if there were deaths caused by theraphosids in these areas they would be known to the rest of the world and offcourse guides etc would be informed. But there isnt any. Personal opinion that these spiders could cause death is not a valid argument, its just as valuable as the exploding yucca palm urban legend. "Well, you know - it could happen..."

/Lelle

Windchaser

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I have to agree with Lelle. If there deaths directly attributed to tarantulas, it would be known. Also, there are quite a few bite reports within the hobby and none of those have ever indicated any signifcant medical issues. Would those folks want to get bit again, probably not, since there have been reports of discomfort. However, that is a far dry from death.