Easy beginner lizards

Brendan

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hey I'm thinking about getting a lizard. I currently own an Emperor Scorpion, and I've NEVER EVER had a lizard before.

What type of easy beginner lizard would you recommend that doesn't bite much and is easy to handle and play with?

KyuZo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
gonna to have to go with bearded dragon. I would do a little research first before getting one.
something easier would be leopard gecko (probably the easiest and not to mention colorful).

Brendan

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hmm I saw and researched a bit about green anoles, but I want something that I can handle and play with and have fun with while at the same time not worrying at all about it biting or scratching me. I wanna be able to put it on my room and let it run all over the carpet XD XD XD

Chrysopid

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Then I will say... definatly a Bearded Dragon! I heard they are the only lizards that are good to hold. If I were to get a lizard, that is what I would get also.

KyuZo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
leopard gecko is easier to care for than bearded dragon.
bearded dragon can get pretty big and will need a pretty big tank.
bearded dragon needs UV lighting and both fresh veggies and live insects
leopard gecko only need to be fed insects

they both make very good lizard pets.

Andrew273

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Bahaman Anole (Anolis Sangrei). Cheap, easy to take care of, small, and take alot to kill. I had mine for years. Mine also used to like to be held. My green anoles hated me. Beardies and Leos are expensive, huge, and will die if not taken care of properly. I work at a petstore and recommend them to anyone getting into herpaculture.

KyuZo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I worked for petco for a short time.
I got my leopard gecko (it was a hypo tangerine carrot tailed baldy) from them for $25 plus tax = $27 total.
from my personal experience, they are pretty hardy. you'll have to becareful not to break off the original tail, because the new one won't look as pretty.

so just do some research on all three species and figure out which one you like to get.

Brendan

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hmm, alright so here are my top choices:

-Bearded Dragon
-Leopard Gecko
-Green Anole

That huge orange/reddish thing under the Bahaman Anole's neck doesn't look very appealing and welcoming, so no thanks XD.

I know this is a pretty dumb question since all lizards are different, but out of curiousity which one will bite you less? If you were to put your finger to their mouth, is there one that won't bite you?

Frédérick

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The bearded is less likely to bite than the others...as for the orange thing for the bahaman anole, it is common to all anoles that i know of, its for threat display between males, and to conquer females:)

Andrew273

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The Bahaman anoles... I was bit by them when I first got the two but after that it was smooth sailing. I couldn't even make them bite me (I used to hang lizards from myself when I was little, ears, nose, etc.). Honestly their bites don't even hurt.

KyuZo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
(I used to hang lizards from myself when I was little, ears, nose, etc.). Honestly their bites don't even hurt.
LOL, that cool that you can do that with a lot of lizards. hang them on your nose and ears:clap:. you should take a picture because i would love to see it.

and yes, i'll agree. the bite of small lizard are pretty painless. I got biten by alligator lizards and they are about twice or three times the size of the anole and it actually feel pretty good.

btw, leopard gecko bites don't hurt either.
so lizard bites should not be an issue if you decide on any of the lizard above;).

Andrew273

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Lol I don't keep lizards anymore. Oh I don't know why no one mentioned this! If you have a really large tank you can keep very humid and can put a large swimming pool into... Chinese water dragons rock! Like iguanas but way more friendly. I've had water dragons, green anoles, bahaman anoles, long tailed lizards, house geckos... maybe more I don't remember. I took a very very sick leopard gecko home from work. He died 5 days afterwards but it was going to happen. He was in way too bad of shape. Thinking about that gecko made me think of one piece of advice... DUST YOUR CRICKETS. You might not have to do it every feeding, it depends on the species. But please, I beg you, dust them...