E. sp. red sling taking a bath... or what?

Thekla

Arachnoprince
So, my Euathlus sp. red sling was doing what (s)he does best... wandering around, refusing food, you know, just the usual stuff...

But when I looked into the enclosure just a few moments ago, (s)he was taking a bath! On her/his back!!! :wideyed:

Taking a bath_04032018.jpg

Seriously, I've never heard of or seen anything like this before. Although (s)he wasn't struggling in the slightest, (s)he almost gave me a heart attack. When I carefully tried to open the enclosure to have a closer look, (s)he rolled over, exited the pool quite casually and resumed its wandering around. What the...? :confused:

Is this also a tarantula just being a tarantula? Or is this something else? (S)he couldn't possibly just have tried to moult in the water, right? o_O

Last edited:

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
So, my Euathlus sp. red sling was doing what (s)he does best... wandering around, refusing food, you know, just the usual stuff...

But when I looked into the enclosure just a few moments ago, (s)he was taking a bath! On her/his back!!! :wideyed:

View attachment 268351

Seriously, I've never heard or seen anything like this before. Although (s)he wasn't struggling in the slightest, (s)he almost gave me a heart attack. When I carefully tried to open the enclosure to have a closer look, (s)he rolled over, exited the pool quite casually and resumed its wandering around. What the...? :confused:

Is this also a tarantula just being a tarantula? Or is this something else? (S)he couldn't possibly just have tried to moult in the water, right? o_O
I've "never" seen anything like this, it did look like it was preparing to molt, however, you said it is wandering around the enclosure again - hopefully the T will decide to molt (if pre-molt) in a better place, TBH anywhere would be better than its water dish, keep us up-dated as we all like to see and hear about all eventualities, thanks @Thekla

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
I've seen so many threads on AB of a sling randomly being on its back and not molting. I guess it's just something they do and I can't think of a reason why.

But that's one of the most adorable things I've ever seen, holy moly. It's so chubby and it was takin a bath and awwww

Thekla

Arachnoprince
Now, it's grooming itself. Maybe it's some kind of a spa weekend...? :couchpotato:

I've "never" seen anything like this, it did look like it was preparing to molt, however, you said it is wandering around the enclosure again - hopefully the T will decide to molt (if pre-molt) in a better place, TBH anywhere would be better than its water dish, keep us up-dated as we all like to see and hear about all eventualities, thanks @Thekla
I've no idea if it's in pre-moult or not. I got it 4 months ago and until now it hasn't showed any signs. Sometimes it eats, sometimes it doesn't. It lost a bit of that grey-ish colour it had when I got it, it's more brown now, but no real darkening of the abdomen or such which would indicate an oncoming moult. :rolleyes: Oh, yes, I'd so love her/him to finally moult, but please NOT in the water dish! :p

Definitely following this thread. That's wild.
I should possibly charge you. :rofl: :p

I've seen so many threads on AB of a sling randomly being on its back and not molting. I guess it's just something they do and I can't think of a reason why.
Yeah, you're probably right... but seriously, a moulting test-drive in the water dish? :wideyed:

But that's one of the most adorable things I've ever seen, holy moly.
Yeah, after my heart decided to act normal again, I've got to say: It really was the most adorable thing, I've seen in a very long time! :kiss:

I'm still puzzled though...

Sarkhan42

Arachnoangel
Now, it's grooming itself. Maybe it's some kind of a spa weekend...? :couchpotato:

I've no idea if it's in pre-moult or not. I got it 4 months ago and until now it hasn't showed any signs. Sometimes it eats, sometimes it doesn't. It lost a bit of that grey-ish colour it had when I got it, it's more brown now, but no real darkening of the abdomen or such which would indicate an oncoming moult. :rolleyes: Oh, yes, I'd so love her/him to finally moult, but please NOT in the water dish! :p

I should possibly charge you. :rofl: :p

Yeah, you're probably right... but seriously, a moulting test-drive in the water dish? :wideyed:

Yeah, after my heart decided to act normal again, I've got to say: It really was the most adorable thing, I've seen in a very long time! :kiss:

I'm still puzzled though...
Now THATS bizzare.
I don’t know, to me it doesn’t really look like the classic molting position, the legs are just curled up differently.

The only time I’ve seen a spider be perfectly fine sitting similarly, is when my B. albopilosum sling would play dead, but I can’t imagine the behaviors are related.

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
Is this also a tarantula just being a tarantula? Or is this something else? (S)he couldn't possibly just have tried to moult in the water, right?
Just "chillin' like a villain" - my kids watch that show all of the time - "Descendants"

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
My gut says it's preparing to molt in the water dish....
It's out of the water dish now, the OP said that it is wandering about again, still awaiting an up-date, but the T has moved out of the water, thank goodness.

Thekla

Arachnoprince
It's out of the water dish now, the OP said that it is wandering about again, still awaiting an up-date, but the T has moved out of the water, thank goodness.
Seemingly, all is well. Like I said... an hour later it was already grooming itself (outside the water dish! :p), and now it's sitting there as if nothing ever happened. :rolleyes: No moulting either.

bathing update.jpg

Still no idea what spurred this behaviour... would love to hear your thoughts! :)

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel

View attachment 268351

Seriously, I've never heard of or seen anything like this before. Although (s)he wasn't struggling in the slightest, (s)he almost gave me a heart attack. When I carefully tried to open the enclosure to have a closer look, (s)he rolled over, exited the pool quite casually and resumed its wandering around. What the...? :confused:

A clean sling is a happy sling.

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel
Seemingly, all is well. Like I said... an hour later it was already grooming itself (outside the water dish! :p), and now it's sitting there as if nothing ever happened. :rolleyes: No moulting either.

View attachment 268369

Still no idea what spurred this behaviour... would love to hear your thoughts! :)
Mine loves her water dish, too.
Come to think, ALL OF THEM love their water dish. :shifty:

Garth Vader

Arachnobaron
My little E sp red just likes to trash the water dish.

I get this though. Sometimes you eat way too much, you feel kinda gross, you just wanna float in the clean water. That is all. Carry on, little chubby sling.