E.campestratus

jb62

Arachnosquire
Hi guys and girls.
I'm getting a PZB around the 3 to 4 inche and wish to know how they are at being handled.
I've not handled a t only potted them and was told these are good but spook very easy and are skittish.
So if any of you have this sp please or have had it all info will help.
I am told it's female but will get it checked.

Thanks.
John

KoriTamashii

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My PZB is the best T I have for handling. She's mellow, relatively slow-moving most of the time, and not skittish. :)

bholmes

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I do not personally have one but my E. weijenberghi(I doubt that is how it is spelt) is extremely docile.

mcluskyisms

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
There's some miss-guided information on here.

I have had a E.campestratus and it was very skittish and aggressive not exactly what you would call "docile" It was a nice T in its own way but was to be admired from afar, they are extensive and elaborate burrowers and they don't stay in the burrow all the time which is pretty cool, although many peoples E.campestratus may in fact be "docile" it depends on the actual individual in question, many T's temperaments can vary from moult to moult and I don't think its fair to label any T as "docile" due to this factor.

Toirtis

Arachnobaron
Our E. campestratus is as docile as anything, and this has been true of all the PZBs I have encountered.

mcluskyisms

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Yeah and mainly they could be classed as "docile" but....

Each tarantula has its own ways and temperaments and Ive had a few "docile" T's that weren't docile, my Brachypelma emilia was a nightmare, also my Brachypelma albopilosum changes her temperament between moults ie one moult nice, next moult not so nice.....

jb62

Arachnosquire
Yeah and mainly they could be classed as "docile" but....

Each tarantula has its own ways and temperaments and Ive had a few "docile" T's that weren't docile, my Brachypelma emilia was a nightmare, also my Brachypelma albopilosum changes her temperament between moults ie one moult nice, next moult not so nice.....
Yeah I've heard that a pulchra can go from very docile then moult and be deffencive moult and be aggressive moult and be docile .. like a full circle and that some get moody before and after a moult!.
So it's really down to luck and the t's hormones ?

maco

Arachnopeon
Hi,
I have 2 E. campestraetes and 1 E. spinosissimus. These species are the most docile you can get, in my experience.

mcluskyisms

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Yeah I've heard that a pulchra can go from very docile then moult and be deffencive moult and be aggressive moult and be docile .. like a full circle and that some get moody before and after a moult!.
So it's really down to luck and the t's hormones ?
Yes, I find this also, sometimes after a moult your most friendly T can seem like a demon, its the way they are, T's are T's, like it or not they kill there food and eat it like humans....

Hi,
I have 2 E. campestraetes and 1 E. spinosissimus. These species are the most docile you can get, in my experience.
Congratulations......

FuzzOctave

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My 3.5", female, E. campestratus is quite docile and becomes a "pet rock" in my hand. However, I would caution everyone who isn't already aware of this: she's a very aggressive eater and has mistaken my hand for dinner. She's never actually bitten me, but she did grab onto my fingers.

For obvious reasons, I always coax her into a smaller container, in order to remove her from her housing, and then we can hold her, or put her on display for a photo op, etc. Actually, imho, this is a good 'rule of thumb' to follow with any T.

For the record, I seldom handle my T's: just my personal choice, I'm not against it, if you choose to do so.

luckie_couture

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Both of my PZBs are incredibly docile. I generally have a "hands off' rule, except for rehousing, but I will handle them. In fact, Mina(my largest PZB), is the T I will get out and hold to show my friends that Ts aren't all out to rip your face off:)

mcluskyisms

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Well over here in the UK we tend not to hold our tarantulas and treat them with the respect that they deserve, sometimes one may end up on your hand from time to time but I personally don't promote handling for the sake of it, that's just me.

KoriTamashii

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well over here in the UK we tend not to hold our tarantulas and treat them with the respect that they deserve, sometimes one may end up on your hand from time to time but I personally don't promote handling for the sake of it, that's just me.
No offense, but, who are you to say people who handle their T's don't respect them? :embarrassed:

Kamikaze

@baboonmanila
Old Timer
The Eupalaestrus campestratus is such a nice species. It is so docile that I can pretty much handle her anytime I wish (though most of the time, I just leave her alone). She is now around 5 inches from tip to tip. In my opinion, I think this species is very much underrated. I think no collection would be complete without it.

jb62

Arachnosquire
Hi,
Your lucky as no one over here has a E.spinosissimus.

jb62

Arachnosquire
There's some miss-guided information on here.

I have had a E.campestratus and it was very skittish and aggressive not exactly what you would call "docile" It was a nice T in its own way but was to be admired from afar, they are extensive and elaborate burrowers and they don't stay in the burrow all the time which is pretty cool, although many peoples E.campestratus may in fact be "docile" it depends on the actual individual in question, many T's temperaments can vary from moult to moult and I don't think its fair to label any T as "docile" due to this factor.
Yeah I've heard the same about being very skittish or hide away in tunnels.
Only one report was saying it got very aggressive to bite.
Maybe it's us brits it don't like lol.{D

gvfarns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My 3.5", female, E. campestratus is quite docile and becomes a "pet rock" in my hand. However, I would caution everyone who isn't already aware of this: she's a very aggressive eater and has mistaken my hand for dinner. She's never actually bitten me, but she did grab onto my fingers.
In my experience almost any T will do that. If you put your hand in just the right way and they are hungry they will mistake you for food and grab you. Their reflexes are extremely quick, which means they grab your finger, realize it's not a bug, and don't bite. The times I've seen it, this type of encounter never results in a bite...it's not actually a defensive reaction.

FuzzOctave

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
In my experience almost any T will do that. If you put your hand in just the right way and they are hungry they will mistake you for food and grab you. Their reflexes are extremely quick, which means they grab your finger, realize it's not a bug, and don't bite. The times I've seen it, this type of encounter never results in a bite...it's not actually a defensive reaction.
Agreed... I've never had a bad experience with any of my T's, but t is typical behavior.

jb62

Arachnosquire
So what about
Eupalaestrus*spinosissmus
Eupalaestrus*weijenberghi

does any one keep this? and are they like the campestraus ?