E. Campestratus availability

Kitara

Arachnodemon
Question up front: Those of you that go to reptiles shows, do you see this species often?

I'm on the fence on whether to buy a e. campestratus 1/2" sling.

In February(ish), my daughter (13) decided she wanted a pet tarantula. I rolled my eyes and said "whatever." She did the research and convinced me so I said yes. Well, she reeeeally wanted an e. campestratus, but I could not find one anywhere so we settled on a b. albopilosum around the end of March.

Fast forward, I just found one online, but I literally just ordered a b. smithi (3/4" sling) yesterday. That brings our little team up to 4. One MM b. albo, one juvie GBB, one baby g. pulchra, and the baby b. smithi. The e. campestratus is $65 so I can only imagine how much the price jumps as they grow. I've been just halfheartedly been looking for it over the months and never see it, but that could just be that I'm not looking in the right places.

The reason I'm on the fence is because we have three reptile shows coming up soon (Oklahoma City). If this is a species that is often there, I might just wait. (I'm just not so great with patience.)

Last edited:

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
This species comes and goes pretty regularly in Canada. They sometimes aren't available for years. I'm not sure why, whether they are maybe difficult to breed, but they can disappear for a while. That's why they're the price that they are - infrequent availability. You're taking a chance if you wait.

cold blood

Staff member
$65 is an outrageous price for an E. camp sling in the states...id expect at least 3 of them for that price.

Kitara

Arachnodemon
OK @cold blood you have appealed to my cheapo nature haha. I'm going to wait and if we get lucky at the shows then awesome. If not, we'll find one another time. I personally think they're ugly anyway and want a c. versicolor instead. :)

cold blood

Staff member
OK @cold blood you have appealed to my cheapo nature haha. I'm going to wait and if we get lucky at the shows then awesome. If not, we'll find one another time. I personally think they're ugly anyway and want a c. versicolor instead. :)
get a G. pulchripes...you wont be disappointed.

DancingHare

Arachnopeon
I'm pretty sure I got mine from the same vendor you found online :) I haven't seen them offered on any other sites, you could certainly try shows in your area though. The one I went to right outside of NYC did not have anyone besides that one vendor with them.

Goopyguy56

Arachnoangel
They get better looking as they age. My experience is that they grow pretty slow. I probably paid to much for mine but I like it. As Cold said, a G Pulchripes is probably a more suitable choice anyways

Kitara

Arachnodemon
Well, I decided to pass on the E. campestratus and it's gone now so I'm fine with it. I've made a list of ones I'd like to find at the expos and we've been collecting suitable enclosures whenever we go out so we're all set for any size we find. :)