Dysdera crocata Specimen

tabloidjunky

Arachnopeon
Hi all
Just joined this forum today, My names martin BTW, I’m currently studying Model making at university and for my final major project I have decided to produce a scaled up version on Dysdera crocata (woodlouse Spider).

I’m currently aiming to get some nice electron microscope images produced but cannot find a specimen. Also I just want one to look at, only ever seeing one once, many years ago.

Does anyone have some tips on finding one? I live in the UK and have just spent hours not finding one. I have been mercilessly searching the net for good images, but nothing will be better than seeing it for real.

So far I have some great images given to my by John Partridge of the British Arachnology society, but photograph’s rarely capture perfect colour.

Any information or help would be very much appreciated

-martin
-tabloidjunky@hotmail.com
-www.martinjones.moonfruit.com

crpy

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Man, to bad they are all over my place in/on the citrus trees (D. crocota), I guess they are plentiful there because of allot of Lawn shrimp(T. sylvaticus) . keep flipping rocks and such. Also leaf litter, I would put small piles of leafs in shaded areas and check every couple days.

Last edited:

Deroplatys

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I occasionally get a female in the garden, i could post one to ya for three quid if i find one :)

tabloidjunky

Arachnopeon
sweet

If you could (or anyone else) happens to get hold of a specimen I'll gladly pay the postage, would it survive the royal mail though?

Raikiri

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
If you manage to find somebody in Europe I'm pretty sure you'll get it alive. I've sent and received hundreds of packages without any problems. If I find one or some I'll send it/them for You.

arachyd

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
You could try looking around rotten logs and piles of brick with leaves against them. Woodlice love those areas but they must have some dampness. Too dry and there won't be any woodlice for the spiders to eat.