Dysdera crocata care

brian petersen

Arachnopeon
yesterday I collected a Dysdera crocata in the yard. he or she is a smaller specimen may less than a half inch body length. I have been looking for one in the yard for a while but it seems that when you are looking for them they are hard to find. two weeks ago I seen them under every board a checked. anyway I have it in a pint sized jar with some damp potting soil ( no fertilizer). I have not fed her yet but she has dug herself a hide somewhere in the jar. any tips on successfully keeping this spider would be appreciated. I have searched the forum and online and have gotten some information.
right type of bedding?
humidity?
do i need a small water dish or is misting ok?

thanks.

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
You do not need a water dish, just slightly moist dirt and leaf litter. She will dig her own hide, so you don't need to worry about that either. All you have to do is mist a couple of times a week to moisten the soil - but don't overdo it. You don't want it drippy or swampy. To feed her, just drop in a handful of isopods and some bits of leaves or vegetables or dog kibble for them to munch on while they wait their turn to be eaten. Remove uneaten kibble or veggies so they don't mold.