Dying P. regalis

Cory Loomis

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have a mature female P. regalis that guarded an infertile egg sac a couple of years ago. Up until this summer, she has been in great shape, a voracious eater, and a great display animal. However, all of this has changed. She will not eat. She displays symptoms of diskinetic syndrome. She frequently rests on the substrate with her legs drawn in. While she is not bedly emaciated, she appears to be weak. I don't know if she has caught a nasty virus from the crickets or if she has been parasitized by phorids from my former roach colony. Any suggestions would be appreciated. (She has declined by 20% in the last two weeks. I expect to find her in a death curl before the month is out unless there is some change.)

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I have an ornata female like that right now and I have no idea what is going on or what to do. :( I am with you in thinking that it might just be old age.
Sorry I can't offer more help but I know what you are going though.

Cory Loomis

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
This is a four year old female that should have at least another ten years. A couple of years ago there was a thread here on dyskinetic syndrome - tarantulas with the herky-jerkies that couldn't move in a coordinated fashion. Several people had ideas about causes. I don't want it to spread to my other tarantulas, and I would love to be able to save my regalis. If she would just eat.

colicabcadam

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i know this may seem silly, but move it out of it's current container into a much smaller encloser with with access to a fairly large bowl of bottled mineral water (just put stones in with it so your tee cant drown)

you may find that it's possibly dehydrated and will sit in the water bowl?

just a thought...

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
i know this may seem silly, but move it out of it's current container into a much smaller encloser with with access to a fairly large bowl of bottled mineral water (just put stones in with it so your tee cant drown)

you may find that it's possibly dehydrated and will sit in the water bowl?

just a thought...
a 4 year old regalis drowning in a water dish??? unlikely

colicabcadam

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
a 4 year old regalis drowning in a water dish??? unlikely
he stated its health is declining and it's becoming rather static

unconcious humans have died in water only 10cm deep, so a spider drowning in 5 cms of water that is not 100% healthy can happen.

Cory Loomis

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I appreciate the water dish suggestion. The 5 gallon upright enclosure gets misted at least weekly, though, and includes a filled water dish along with her cork-tube home. I try to keep it all clear of boluses, so housekeeping shouldn't be an issue.