Dying crickets?

ArachnoHaze

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
JUst checked my Emp's cage This morning too find the three of the four crickets i put in last night or the night before where laying dead within the cage. The other surviving cricket is white as the walls but still moving? the substrate is dry,tempreture is 85f,water dish always full,misting every day or two....the bodies where all perfectly fine so i doubt the emp killed em......what could be killing them?????

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
ArachnoHaze said:
JUst checked my Emp's cage This morning too find the three of the four crickets i put in last night or the night before where laying dead within the cage. The other surviving cricket is white as the walls but still moving? the substrate is dry,tempreture is 85f,water dish always full,misting every day or two....the bodies where all perfectly fine so i doubt the emp killed em......what could be killing them?????
if the emp is full they sometimes kill crickets that annoy them, but the cricket bodies don't show much evidence of being mangled

the pure white one probably just molted

Prymal

Arachnoking
Old Timer
ArachnoHaze-

Many scorpions get annoyed with crickets running about in their captive 'world' and simply put: they just kill 'em and leave 'em to rot!
Do not keep crickets in the enclosure with your scorpion. Offer it 1-2 crickets during the night just before you go to bed and if the crickets aren't consumed by the time you awaken in the morning, remove them and offer them again in a few days and repeat the process until the scorp feeds. If your emp is 5" or larger, offer it 1-2, 3/4" - 1" crickets every 10-15 days or, 1 large prey item every 20-30 days. Good luck!

Luc

Luc

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
also, though i probably doesn't apply in this case:

when you buy "large" crickets, those are mature adults that are VERY near the end of their natural lifespan. crickets are pretty darn short lived... but very fecund in the right conditions. i think under optimal growing conditions a crickets life is ~8weeks

i'm not saying these three in particular died of old age (it's possible, though not probable... as they all died in a ~8hour window)

but if you buy large size crickets they just aren't going to live very long

i buy mediums to give myself more latitude