Drill advice for amac boxes

SpookySpooder

"embiggened"
Arachnosupporter
There's an engraving company near me that fabricates acrylics. They sell a used drill bit set if you're interested in diving deep ($150 for 29 sizes)

IME I have not needed to use any specialty drill bits because the $50 set from OrangeDepot was enough for my purposes, and I had it on hand already.

I only use the 3 smallest sizes anyway.

Speciality bits are quite cost prohibitive. Even the cheapest ones are around $20 each.

Introvertebrate

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
I once asked my dentist if I can have his worn out grinding bits. They had already thrown them out.

Kingkidd801

Arachnopeon
Perfect holes every time: https://www.mcmaster.com/products/brad-point-drill-bits/
Never use wedges, ordinary drill bits that have to be forced through the material. Best it to use wood type brad points in a battery powered variable speed drill and coolant, or even submerge the material in water.
Really wood bit? That's a for sure thing over the one for metal or even acrylic? I will do it submerged in a bucket. Thank you.

Kingkidd801

Arachnopeon
There's an engraving company near me that fabricates acrylics. They sell a used drill bit set if you're interested in diving deep ($150 for 29 sizes)

IME I have not needed to use any specialty drill bits because the $50 set from OrangeDepot was enough for my purposes, and I had it on hand already.

I only use the 3 smallest sizes anyway.

Speciality bits are quite cost prohibitive. Even the cheapest ones are around $20 each.
The kit is expensive. I'm fine spending money on three bits I can use from slings to adults.

SpookySpooder

"embiggened"
Arachnosupporter

Just go into a store near you. :)

Can probably find a set with a few sizes for cheap. You don't need any special equipment for plastic.

IntermittentSygnal

Arachnotic
Arachnosupporter +
so, I just drilled some acrylic for an enclosure, and those specialty acrylic bits did make a difference. They don’t dull near as fast and seat through the acrylic. At high speed, it simultaneously cut and melted the holes at the same time. Very clean. That center bottom hole was user error.
image.jpg

fcat

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
so, I just drilled some acrylic for an enclosure, and those specialty acrylic bits did make a difference. They don’t dull near as fast and seat through the acrylic. At high speed, it simultaneously cut and melted the holes at the same time. Very clean. That center bottom hole was user error.
View attachment 461066

Those look really clean. The little residue on the opposite surface, does it brush right off and leave a smooth hole, or is it sharp?

IntermittentSygnal

Arachnotic
Arachnosupporter +
Those look really clean. The little residue on the opposite surface, does it brush right off and leave a smooth hole, or is it sharp?
Mostly brushes off. I always run my fingers on them to make sure they are smooth and make a little cylinder of sandpaper to swirl inside the hole if it’s a tad bit rougher than I’d like. I used the acrylic drill bit set from Amazon. Can’t post a link here.

SpookySpooder

"embiggened"
Arachnosupporter
Mostly brushes off. I always run my fingers on them to make sure they are smooth and make a little cylinder of sandpaper to swirl inside the hole if it’s a tad bit rougher than I’d like. I used the acrylic drill bit set from Amazon. Can’t post a link here.
60° point?