Drift wood found on beach in T enclosures?

Embers To Ashes

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I found a lot of drift wood that has many built in hides and webbing spaces in it. I found it on Clump Island in the Chessapeak Bay. Would it be safe to put in my T enclosures?

Introvertebrate

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
Just wash it off and put it in the oven for a while to kill any microfauna. You'll be good to go.

Embers To Ashes

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
will that take care of all the chimicals that may be on it, like wood treatments.

Sooner

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
You could soak in a large bucket of water for a day, dump out the water and add fresh water, soak again.

Repeat this until you are satisfied (I would go for 4-5 times) then you can microwave/heat sterilize it.

DrJonnyD

Arachnosquire
You can do all of the above or you could just hose it off and put it in the tank. The salt water that exists in the ocean would most likely kill anything that may harm a T and as far as any chemicals in wood treatments, if it is dry then it is no different then the paint on your walls. It won’t hurt your T, Ts don’t eat wood.

gromgrom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i bleach my wood and wash it off really good, then let it dry out under my heat lamps. ive never had anything die off because of it.

Arachnoholic420

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
You could soak in a large bucket of water for a day, dump out the water and add fresh water, soak again.

Repeat this until you are satisfied (I would go for 4-5 times) then you can microwave/heat sterilize it.
+1 All it needs is just a thorough soaking and wash.... Then the o'l mighty nuke should do the trick!!!

Peace!!!

esotericman

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
then let it dry out under my heat lamps. ive never had anything die off because of it.
Exactly. It is not as if there are organisms hanging out in the Bay waiting to attack tarantulas. If there was something so virulent, you'd never see blue crab again.

I would rinse it very well, maybe soak it, and then put some clear plastic over it, on cement, and let it bake for a couple of days. The high temps will drive out a lot of the water, and help the nervous sleep at night.

Apollo Justice

Arachnoknight
The only problem I've had with drift wood is that it tends to mold really easy in high humidy enclosures. I love use it in dry enclosures though and all of the above methods are great for treating it.

esotericman

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
No matter what you do wood+moisture=compost. It is going to happen and it is 100% harmless.

webbedone

Arachnobaron
Like mentioned previously salt water already ate anything thats could be possibly harmful to your Ts. Now select any of the fine previously defined methods wash it off, bake it, or not and stick it in your enclosure. This is making me want to go to the beach and scavange for drift wood. Good game people.

Embers To Ashes

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
They smell like wood treatment. Are you guys 110% sure that they will be okay if I rince them realy good and microwave them?

esotericman

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
What do you mean by "wood treatment"? Is this a very strong chemical smell?