Dream true spider?

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
Recently saw a thread like this in the "Myriapods" section so why not make one here? What is your dream true spider? For me it is Phoneutria fera, even though I have not built up the courage to get one yet!

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Mine is Nephila clavipes - or any of the other large Nephila species, though clavipes is the one I'm most likely to actually be able to get since they're at least native to the US, though I have heard that Nephila clavata have made it over here, too. A friend says he might be able to get one for me next year - which then raises the issue of finding a suitable place for it to make a ginormous web without just leaving it free-range in my invert room, since I don't think my husband or kids would go for that. (Then again, we have dozens - possibly hundreds - of free-range Steatoda in there. Numbers vary significantly, according to how recently we've vacuumed and how well-hidden the egg sacs were. So maybe one big spider would be better than dozens of little ones?)

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
Good choice! I actually had an encounter with Nephila clavata in a park in Japan a few days ago! This is a bad picture but I got so many good ones with my Canon. Really beautiful spider for real! I was tempted to try and bring it back to the states with me but we all know how illegal that is.

IMG_3621.JPG

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Good choice! I actually had an encounter with Nephila clavata in a park in Japan a few days ago! This is a bad picture but I got so many good ones with my Canon. Really beautiful spider for real! I was tempted to try and bring it back to the states with me but we all know how illegal that is.

View attachment 254357
Gorgeous spider! You just need to find somebody in Georgia who has one of the N. clavata that's already in the U.S. I'm not sure how widespread they are, but they've had a few years to establish themselves, so it might not be altogether impossible.

Redmont

The collector
:DPhoneutria fera Is high on my list as well, I may be able to get some wondering spiders through a trade but not the Brazilian ones, I don’t think anyone has them. My dream spider is Heteropoda lunula a species of huntsman spider and I may be able to get them :D

1Lord Of Ants1

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Mine is Nephila clavipes - or any of the other large Nephila species, though clavipes is the one I'm most likely to actually be able to get since they're at least native to the US, though I have heard that Nephila clavata have made it over here, too. A friend says he might be able to get one for me next year - which then raises the issue of finding a suitable place for it to make a ginormous web without just leaving it free-range in my invert room, since I don't think my husband or kids would go for that. (Then again, we have dozens - possibly hundreds - of free-range Steatoda in there. Numbers vary significantly, according to how recently we've vacuumed and how well-hidden the egg sacs were. So maybe one big spider would be better than dozens of little ones?)
Lots of N. clavipes here if you know where to look. At this time of year the majority around are adult females with accompanying males. I've kept them before in my backyard right off my porch by placing a female or two around suitable web points, the point between two posts under a balcony seems to work well, and they normally stick around. I've heard of people successfully keeping them in relatively small enclosures, in which case the webs the construct are very tiny or a tangled mess. I find they're best admired when atop a 3 foot wide golden glistening web, however.

Leila

Arachnobaron
Tbh, I'd love one of all of the spiders you guys listed, except for the Phoneutria fera (that spider's venom just freaks me out, lol.)

Heteropoda lunula has been on my wish list for a while. Every time @basin79 posts photos of his, I must admit that I get a little envious. :) (go on, basin: post the awesome photos. :kiss:)

Serpyderpy

Arachnosquire
Heteropoda davidbowie! He was such an inspiration to me and honestly the fact that the spider named after him is an orange pudgy spider pancake makes it ten times cuter.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Tbh, I'd love one of all of the spiders you guys listed, except for the Phoneutria fera (that spider's venom just freaks me out, lol.)

Heteropoda lunula has been on my wish list for a while. Every time @basin79 posts photos of his, I must admit that I get a little envious. :) (go on, basin: post the awesome photos. :kiss:)

basin79

ArachnoGod
Those are just absolutely awesome! I have a sourse for exotic huntsman but I’m not entirely sure if I can get these.
Pics don't do her justice. She unbelievably in the flesh. But he'll fire they're quick.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Eresus walckenaeri. I just learned about them today and they're absolutely beautiful.
Have a look at Gandanameno sp (velvet spiders). I have one and she's absolutely phenomenonal. So so funny to watch. I've also got a Eresus moravicus but she's still tiny.

Johnny Q

Arachnopeon
I have always loved the various Nephila species. Nephila senegalensis and Nephila turneri are at the very top of my list. A few years ago I was able to collect a pair of Nephila clavipes and it was the first and only species of arachnid I have bred and raised.