Dream Reptile and/or Amphibian?

schmiggle

Arachnoking
Lepidobatrachus laevis, Phyllomedusa bicolor, Calyptocephalella gayi for anura, in that order of likelihood of being able to acquire them.

Pseudotriton ruber, Echinotriton andersoni, Laotriton laoensis for caudata. Maybe also Ambystoma opacum and Aneides aeneus.

Of the above, I've seen all of them in the hobby at some point I think, but Aneides aeneus is exceedingly rare, and Calyptocephalella gayi is occasionally imported but I've never seen anyone keep it successfully.

Patherophis

Arachnobaron
- Paleosuchus palpebrosus
- Alligator sinensis

- some members of Varanus
- some pythonids (nothing too huge), especially some Antaresia
- some Cordylus s.lat., Gallotia stehlini, some Heloderma
- some Ambystoma, Andrias davidianus, some of smaller Caudata
- Phelsuma laticauda, Rhacodactylus laechianus, some other geckos
- Macrochelys temminckii, Geochelone sulcata
I tried to keep it quite realistic for most part :D

PettyConcerns

Arachnopeon
Tribolonotus gracilis, Dracaena guianensis, Abronia graminea, Dicamptodon copei, Charina bottae.
Last two are natives to my area, not sure if they're in the hobby or not, as I'm pretty new to it.

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
No. 1 Most Wanted: Charina bottae AKA Rubber Boa.

Amphibian-wise I'd love to get back into dart frogs, but I can't forget Theloderma sp. (Mossy Frogs), and gosh, now that I think about there are a lot of amphibians I'd like to acquire...

Chelonian-wise, if I could find some CB specimens of Kinixys homeana (Home's Hinge-back Tortoise), or affordable Clemmys guttata...

I have so many invertebrate projects I want to get done though first it may be a while before I get any of those (except perhaps for the C. bottae if I could find some legal specimens), and then there's the matter of space...

Thanks,

Arthroverts

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
Eastern Indigo snake(Drymarchon couperi). But considering how expensive they are and all the hoops you have to jump through to get a legal one I may end up getting a Texas Indigo (Drymarchon melanurus erebennus) instead.

Ajohnson5263

Arachnosquire
I'll likely never see one in my life but, Nasikabatrachus sahyadrensis would be my top amphibian contender, maybe tied with a hellbender. Give these guys google, strangest frogs I've ever seen!

ReignofInvertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Personally I’ve always wanted a Tiliqua rugosa because they’re so unique looking with those wild shingle scales. To be honest I don’t even know if they’re in the U.S. trade or not and if so they’re probably super pricey, but maybe one day.

Alien_Regalis

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I think that my dream reptile would be black headed pythons, womas or rough scale pythons. Also maybe an aldabra tortoise.

schmiggle

Arachnoking
affordable Clemmys guttata
I was lucky enough to find one of these in the wild a couple years ago. I was wandering around a bog and I kept finding the empty shells of turtles of various ages. Then I found a spotted turtle on a slightly raised part of the bog and brought it to the stream that went through the bog's middle, where other turtles were sitting. I assumed then--and assume now--that because the bog's water level was fairly constant, the most likely way for those turtle shells to end up where they were was that turtles got lost and overheated, which is why I brought that turtle to the stream. I'm realizing, though, that it's also possible the empty shells were dragged there by other animals, so I'm hoping I didn't cause an issue.

They're absolutely beautiful animals, and as turtles go I gather they'd make relatively easygoing pets (they're small and omnivorous). The IUCN red list suggests that most wild collected turtles are advertised to be captive bred, so I guess be careful on that front.

Last edited:

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
I was lucky enough to find one of these in the wild a couple years ago. I was wandering around a bog and I kept finding the empty shells of turtles of various ages. Then I found a spotted turtle on a slightly raised part of the bog and brought it to the stream that went through the bog's middle, where other turtles were sitting. I assumed then--and assume now--that because the bog's water level was fairly constant, the most likely way for those turtle shells to end up where they were was that turtles got lost and overheated, which is why I brought that turtle to the stream. I'm realizing, though, that it's also possible the empty shells were dragged there by other animals, so I'm hoping I didn't cause an issue.

They're absolutely beautiful animals, and as turtles go I gather they'd make relatively easygoing pets (they're small and and omnivorous). The IUCN red list suggests that most wild collected turtles are advertised to be captive bred, so I guess be careful on that front.
I should have added "...affordable, captive bred Clemmys guttata".
Yes, you are right. I know these are badly threatened in the wild, so any CB specimens I would purchase would have to be from reputable dealers.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel

They're absolutely beautiful animals, and as turtles go I gather they'd make relatively easygoing pets (they're small and omnivorous). The IUCN red list suggests that most wild collected turtles are advertised to be captive bred, so I guess be careful on that front.
.affordable, captive bred Clemmys guttata".
Clemmys guttata - spotted turtles. When I was a kid there was a decent population of these on my families farm and I would regularly keep them as pets. They weren't listed in Ohio (at that time) but I would always release them, along with any painted and musk turtles I had happened to catch that year.
The last one I ever caught was about 15-20 years ago on a road about 2 miles from the farm near another marshy area. Its shell was a bit messed up, with one scute looking rough, so I decided to keep it awhile see if it would molt back to normal - which it did and I then released it. I happened to mention I had it at local reptile oriented pet store to a employee I was friendly with. He then told me he had 3 of them and was attempting to breed them. Out of curiosity I asked him where he got them and he told me about a friend who took them from a local bog nature preserve - supposedly with the permission of the preserve manager! I naturally was disgusted by this but I didn't let on and instead called a tip line for poachers we have in Ohio, but as far as I know nothing ever came of it.

jcmbibb311

Arachnopeon
Sounds a bit boring maybe, but I’ve always liked Liasis olivaceus (Olive Python). They’re gorgeous, even if they aren’t as “colorful” as other more desirable snakes. I’m a sucker for all snakes though, offer me a snake and chances are I’ll take it. Also, I love Pituophis. Specifically, Pituophis catenifer annectens. Even more specifically, the applegate albino morph. Gorgeous snakes, which such great color as adults.