Doomed Hobby

Eurypterid

Arachnerd
Old Timer
fusion121 said:
If hobbyists are worried about it, it might be sensible to lobby for pre-emptive regulation of dangerous scorpions rather then risk overly harsh measures in the event of a media attack.
I agree that this is the only way to head off this problem, but I don't think it is realistic for so small a group as scorpion hobbyists. We would be fighting an uphill battle against the entire pet industry, which would resist any regulation, and people in our own ranks who would do the same. Unfortunately the American way is to completely ignore (or even deny) a problem until it bites you in arse, and then massively over-react.

carpe scorpio

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I can see things going bad for imported species, but there are already so many people breeding these, that a ban would simply push folks underground. I happen to really love C. exilicauda, and regardless of any law/regulation/ban will still always be able to keep them forever. :)

wikkid_devil

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Eurypterid said:
I agree that this is the only way to head off this problem, but I don't think it is realistic for so small a group as scorpion hobbyists. We would be fighting an uphill battle against the entire pet industry, which would resist any regulation, and people in our own ranks who would do the same. Unfortunately the American way is to completely ignore (or even deny) a problem until it bites you in arse, and then massively over-react.
It's just the same in the U.K. :mad:

fusion121

Arachnoking
Old Timer
wikkid_devil said:
It's just the same in the U.K. :mad:
To be fair in the UK we do have reasonable regulation, its not great but it's probably better then nothing.

wikkid_devil

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
fusion121 said:
To be fair in the UK we do have reasonable regulation, its not great but it's probably better then nothing.
i meant the over reacting when you get bitten on the ass bit ... just look at hand guns :mad:

Melmoth

ArachnoSweetTalker
Old Timer
wikkid_devil said:
i meant the over reacting when you get bitten on the ass bit ... just look at hand guns :mad:
Yes,we are subject to knee jerk reaction legislation.The hangun ban is an excellent example.

NrthCstInverts

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
You know in my area this happens once in a while, but not too frequently. I have come across everything from "slightly" mislabeled to SERIOUSLY mislabeled scorps and T's in all manner of petstore. Usually the "chain" stores are the worst.
Now we all know that MOST pet store employees dont know thier butts from a hole in the ground, and really dont care about things in the store. But at the same time you can not put 100% of the blame on them. Thier Distributors / dealers are just as much to blame. If they bring in a shipment of A. australius and label them as "desert scorpions" to sell them quick, and half the DEALERS poeple dont know anything... and they ship to a pet store where 3/4 of the people dont know anything..... well..... you can see what happens.
Maybe they need to pass regulations on people who work in pet stores. Either learn sumthing about the creatures you care for so you can in turn HELP to educate the public, or go back to the pizza shop you used to work at.
Just my 2cents worth.

TheNothing

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
agreed
it is the primary fault of the distributors

I spoke with the "invert girl" at a local petstore chain at the beginning of the year. While we were talking, I was trying to get a positive ID on a "Mohave Desert" scorpion that I was picking up. I was pretty sure it was S. mesaensis, and thought I would check with her.

Turns out their dealers fax in currently available scorpions by common names only. Common names that dealers, more often than not, make up as they go. The stores purchase by common name only and, in all honesty, have no idea what they have.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not condoning what goes on in the pet store, even after they are informed, but it is the job of the dealer.

Bayushi

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
the local pet shop here is the same. common name only on their list, but if the call the supplier and get ahold of him or his wife, they get the latin name. sadly they mostly get ahold of the guy who does the shipping and he will say anything just so he doesn't have to cancel an order. A week ago they got in an "african black" scorpion.. the girls at the store assumed it was an emp... turned out to be an A bicolour. thankfully for the girls working there it arrived dead or the invert chick would have been tagged, since she has no fear of the eightlegged critters.

Black Hawk

Arachnolord
Old Timer
i agree with issac. the root of the problem is with the dealers lack of scientific names and giving bad common names to sellers. in perspective, this kind of GROSS mislabeling of stock is like selling a black mamba as a black rat snake. :embarrassed:

Predator

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Although I do feel its very irresponsible for pet stores to mislable anything they sell I still feel people should always research what they buy. I think its half the pet stores fault and half the consumers. Anything I have ever bought from a pet store I researched it before I started sticking my hands anywhere near it. Honestly you should research it before you even buy it but I know sometimes when you see something you have to have it. I know those moments and I dont trust anything anyone at a pet store would tell me. People at pet stores dont exactly get paid a lot so that should be a tip off that they hire just about anyone. The bottom line is research before you buy. I know a lot of people are too stupid to check on things for themselves from many sources but thats their fault. People should take responsibility for themselves. The only thing that scares me is if a petstore made a mistake and sold a hot species of scorpion to a young kid. I wouldnt say thats the childs fault there.

NrthCstInverts

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I was just coming back on here to say something similar to what Predator said.... that ALL the blame isnt on the stores or the distributors. YOU should do your research before YOU buy an animal... and not totally rely on the people at the pet store to "train" you. But flip side same coin... the pet store selling you a pet SHOULD be able to give you a wealth of info on the animal as far as overall care and health. Info that you should be able to easily follow up on.

On the other part of what Predator said... alot of the pet stores in my area while not being the brightest of the birght... DO however require you to be 18+ to buy anything with any sort of venom (IE T's ans Scorps) and some go so far as to say if you arent an adult (18+) you cant buy ANY living animal from them!! i know for a fact they dont honestly enforce it all the time as i have seen 16 year olds buying fish etc.... but they do if its something bad like a 13 year old tryin to buy a reptile or scorpion

Black Hawk

Arachnolord
Old Timer
i see what you are saying. I personally research any pet before buying unless i've kept one before. however i still think it should be the destibutor and stores responsiblity to know what they are selling and if it's dangerous. even if not for the customer, it wouldn't go over to well if they were sued for selling something irresponsibly. it'd serve them right though :mad: