Dominican Republic pede ID

David Burns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have a small Dominican centipede (4cm.), I was hoping it was an immature S.alternans. She is a translucent amber color. I checked on her today and she has eggs! I think that makes her way to small to be S.alternans. So what else could she be? I will try to get pics.

KyuZo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have a small Dominican centipede (4cm.), I was hoping it was an immature S.alternans. She is a translucent amber color. I checked on her today and she has eggs! I think that makes her way to small to be S.alternans. So what else could she be? I will try to get pics.
that's real cool man, i've heard that those get even bigger than the Haitian.

David Burns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
that's real cool man, i've heard that those get even bigger than the Haitian.
If she is dropping eggs at under 1 1/2 inches (4cm.) How big do you think they can get? Are there any other centipede species native to the island? My search abilities don't seem to be up to par.

Comatose

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
OP - not trying to steal your thread, but this video immediately came to mind. Find yourself one of these... it's a beast.

[video=youtube;ZAE0bicWLCA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAE0bicWLCA[/video]

coldvaper

Arachnosquire
Thats a cool vid, what pede is that?

OP - not trying to steal your thread, but this video immediately came to mind. Find yourself one of these... it's a beast.

[video=youtube;ZAE0bicWLCA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAE0bicWLCA[/video]

David Burns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
tried to load pics. no luck so far.

i give up. I'm no techy.

Last edited:

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I remember that vid posted a long time ago, somebody said they thought it was the bigger red form of alternans.

David Burns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I did not see one cacti in the Dominican, it is a rainforest near the Punta Cana area. Caught lots of S.alterans. Got pics, if I can load them. I have read the tutorial on how to upload pics, but I'm a caveman on the computer.

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
Caveman, I'm curious about your pics and would be happy to help you get them up. Make yourself a photobucket account, PM me and we can go from there...

Nope, no gigantea in the DR...that big beast is as Galapaheros stated, a well fed red colorform of S. alternans.

KyuZo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
sorry gents, i thought that Bear Grylls said Columbia, but the guy said Columbus... when Columbus sailed in.

either way, it's a very nice looking pede.

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
plus isnt the gigantea black?
The gigantea "commonly" seen are not & come in a few slightly different showroom models. I'm not sure if the black beast referred to as gigantea was ever properly IDed but was reportedly from Trinidad?