Docile Pokie???

kcoop6888

Arachnopeon
OK everyone i think im ready to make the plunge into Pokies, I'm just wondering everyones thoughts are with the most "docile" of the Genus, and yes I'm aware NON of them are considered docile. Pictures are always welcome

advan

oOOo
Staff member
I have heard that P. miranda and P. metallica are the calmer of the genus but I wouldn't consider them docile and caution must be exercised around any old world.

Sleazoid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I own a pretty good bit of Poecilotheria species and none of them have ever given me a threat posture. They don't deserve the bad rep they get. Just don't handle and you will be fine, they would much rather run than fight. My P. miranda would be the most visible, and my P. metallica would be my shyest. Though it can be different between individuals.

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
i hear people talk about pokies like theyre monsters all the time and i dont get it. i bought my 1st pokie ( with no hesitation/reservation might i add) back on march 4th... p regalis... and that thing is docile as can be.... very timid if anything. granted my t is only around 2.5ish at most. i admittedly was nervous when i rehoused her, but no more than with any other t i own. i guess my advice to the op is this.............. tarantulas of ALL TYPES are wild animals. they share no affection toward you and will never adore you the way a dog will. as long as you are responsible with them, youll do fine. show them the respect they deserve and youll never have a problem. if you have any skepticism about a particular "nastier" species, buy it as a sling so you wont be as scared as you would be buying a adult of it.... plus its cheaper {D

RoseT

Arachnosquire
Most the of the people you hear say "pokies are monsters, etc,etc" are most likely people that spend alot of time either taking photos of them (that require manipulation of the spiders position), video, or just straight up handling them for show. I just recently bought my first P. Metallica, 2 inches and I have no intentions of handling it ever, matter of fact I try not to bother it and only get to see it at night when it comes out to explore its enclosure, my reason for keep is absolutely for observation ONLY!. Point is, they dont want to be bothered, who does?....If you just leave them be, and only really touch the enclosure to feed it and mild maintenance I dont see why they would be any different than the NW SP. Assuming you already have respect for the T to begin with, and know what it is capable of. Enjoy these beautiful SP, if you think youre ready, you ARE ready!...Hope to see some pics soon... Good Luck!

Heres Mine..

mickey66

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
P. regalis was my first pokie and she is an easy T to care for now,i have one rule i go by....i always make sure i know where she is at all times when my hand is in the tank which is a 10 gal. tank.....i put her in this tank at 1.5" and has worked out fine....no stress on either of us! When you open the tank door make sure you make some noise so the T knows you are there. They are not that bad to care for at all and you will get hooked on pokies! :)

web eviction

Arachnolord
I have 4 pokies a regalis a pedersini a ornata, and just got a Formosa my regalis is very calm really shy but calm the pedersini is also pretty calm I've had to wrangle it up a few times but it tolerated me well lol as for thee other 2 well they are just speed demons lol your ready bro go get a pokie there easy just respect them and no touching goodluck.

PitViper

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have a P Pederseni that is about 3.5" that will freak out, but I also have a P Regalis that is about 7" that is very docile, the person I bought her from said she could probably be handled, but I have not tried yet.

Armstrong5

Arachnosquire
+1 Mickey yea you will get addicted to pokies just jump in man I bought a P. regalis sling as my first one so by the time it got big maybe I would be used to the speed...lol before it even got to be an adult I acquired 3 more.Out of mine which are ornata,fasciata,regalis, and metallica the metallica is in the open the most and acts the calmest while feeding and cleaning! But you need to get you a pokie just do it yo got this!

Raven9464

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My P. regalis (I have 4 slings) all seem to be pretty docile so far. They are the only pokies I have, but they are soooo beautiful and after the 1st, I had to get more! Like everyone said, just don't try to handle it, be cautious, and you will be fine! (And don't forget to post pics =)

oogie boogie

Arachnopeon
I'd vote for P. Metallica also. Calmest Ive seen so far. My P. Regalis posed threats a couple of times. But I would vote for P. Regalis as 2nd

kcoop6888

Arachnopeon
Who's everyones vote for the best breeder (prices, quality, and variety) of pokies?

mickey66

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i just wanted to ad this comment about P. regalis.....they can get big brettG a forum member here has one that is a female 9" biggest spider i have seen live....as he handed me my 1" P. regalis he said this is what yours will look like in 5 years LOL so heads up noobs. :)

web eviction

Arachnolord
i just wanted to ad this comment about P. regalis.....they can get big brettG a forum member here has one that is a female 9" biggest spider i have seen live....as he handed me my 1" P. regalis he said this is what yours will look like in 5 years LOL so heads up noobs. :)
my big female regalis is 8 inches they do get big and mines only around a year and a half

KoriTamashii

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My ornata was the most insane, and my subfusca or metallica have to be my most laid back. The metallica is a little more skittish, but the subfusca is a chill little thing.

Merfolk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It's case by case (even if my experience shown me that P ornata is a total hands off animal) and I've seen ppl handling very calm pokies with no problem. They are not that prone to bite, the only problem is when it occurs, you are due for a couple days in hell...

mickey66

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
It's case by case (even if my experience shown me that P ornata is a total hands off animal) and I've seen ppl handling very calm pokies with no problem. They are not that prone to bite, the only problem is when it occurs, you are due for a couple days in hell...
i have read reports of months of pain and cramps.....no fun.....btw...P ornata is another pokie that will get big and has a nasty bite.

Last edited:

Najakeeper

Arachnoprince
IMO People are scared off Pokies because you don't expect a pokie to bite you until it bites you. If you see a 10' blondi showing a threat display, you don't mass with it. But pokies rarely go into threat display and they may easily bite before doing so if they feel threatened. Because of this people get confident without realizing the animal is pissed then they get bitten and pokies get the unnecessary reputation.

Naturally "relatively" strong venom plays a part as well.