Do you quarantine?

binary71

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
As a guy thats getting out of herps and more into Ts and scorpions i was wondering if T keepers follow the quarantine rules that herp keepers do. For instance most herp keepers keep any new animals in a quarantine room for around 90 days to be sure they are healthy and don't have something that can be transmitted to their other animals. This issue is actually heavily debated on many herp forums but i don't hear much about it on the T forums unless someone has a sick T.

I guess my question would be "Do T keepers quarantine there new Ts" and "Are there diseases that can be transmitted from T to T"

Thanks in advance for the info.

gvfarns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've definitely heard people recommend it, but I've never done it myself. T's are kept in separate containers and it's pretty hard for things to get from one enclosure to another. It can happen, though. Certainly when a T starts showing signs of DS or any other sickness that we can imagine being communicable, it's common to separate them out physically from the rest of the collection.

The other thing is that T's don't have a lot of behaviors to observe, so you'd have to quarantine for a long time to really know they are healthy.

Look to people who have a large collection, hundreds or thousands, for consistent quarantine of all new T's. Having said that I would definitely quarantine any T that was WC or that I thought had sketchy origins.

Sarcastro

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I would definitely quarantine any T that was WC or that I thought had sketchy origins.
I would definitely quarantine if it is a WC until there was no signs of topical fungus, mites or even the dreaded nematodes since these can be transmitted from enclosure to enclosure..putting WC directly in with the rest of your collection is a quick way to get an outbreak if it does have an illness.
I have been keeping inverts for nearly 20 years and have had 1000's WC and CB and have only had 2 outbreaks(knock wood) both were results from sticking WC directly in the area with my other species.so from then on i started quarantining all WC inverts.

Sathane

Arachnoking
Old Timer
If I've dealt with the seller before and have had no issues, I keep the new additions separate from my regular collection for about a week or two.

WCs stay away for 60 days as well as anything from new or questionable sellers.

gumby

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I do it for a week with new Ts and 2 weeks for WC. I just like to keep the new ones in the bathroom I feel they get a little extra humidity to start their new life in UT that way if they came from FL or TX its not as big a shock.

burmish101

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Its a rarity when I get a wc, but in the past i've never quarantined, though in some cases I probably should have due to mite outbreaks and what not.