Do you let others hold your T's?

Kraine

Arachnosquire
This thread doesn't really apply if you don't handle your T's.

Ever since I got my tarantula (a G. pulchra), people will once in a while ask if they can hold it. I always refuse, saying I don't let anyone else handle my spider. I always imagine this scenario: the friend allows the T to crawl onto their hand, is fascinated by it, and then the T decides to climb quickly up their arm. And then the friend freaks out, flinging my T across the room and killing it. I feel like I have a different set of instinctive reactions while holding my tarantula, since I love it so much. Rather than fling it, I'll calmly allow it to crawl onto my other hand and return it to its cage. I just don't trust non-arachnophiles with my baby.

Do you?

Shell

ArachnoVixen AKA Dream Crusher AKA Heartbreaker
Staff member
The only people who have ever handled any of my spiders have been friends, that already keep tarantulas (fellow AB members actually.) However, I am not really "pro handling" so it's really only been a couple of times, and when we already had the spider out (for rehousing or pictures etc.)

JayMadison

Arachnosquire
I would only let people who knew what they were doing hold mine, i'd be afraid they would get injured

Leora22

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
nope i dont trust them ...... i never let anyone other then my sister handle or touch one of my T's ....i feel the same way with some of my snakes also ...i always think they'll (friends) sqeez it, freak out, or worse hurt it if the snake / tarantula where to bite or run up there arm ....my friends think i'm being rude alot of the time :(

Valarya

Arachnopeon
I don't for the exact reason you said. i'm more worried about the T getting hurt than the person, haha. Although I had someone from craigslist come over to buy a T once and that dude opened my LPs cage and pinch-grabbed that thing (she's 8"+ !!!!) and was like "hey this is cool" - ROFL.

He was okay to hold my spiders.

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I got my first tarantula around 10 years ago and still haven't ever tried pinch grabbing one.

Dr Acula

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I don't let any one hold my Ts. Instead, I tell those who are interested, to lay their hand flat on the ground. Then the T walks over and off, and everyone's happy.

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
No. Pretty much all of them I have now are either high-strung or too tiny.

ArkGullwing

Arachnosquire
I've only let my roomies lay their hand down on my bed while Artemis climbs over them. I can't say I would never let anyone hold my T's but I can't think of anyone, "expert" or not that I'd trust my babies to.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Instead, I tell those who are interested, to lay their hand flat on the ground. Then the T walks over and off, and everyone's happy.
This is definitely what I'd recommend if you're going to let friends handle. I see no problem with it, as long as you explain the scenario to them and they are agreeable.

MB623

Arachnoknight
My Rose Hair

I only have four t's, but this is kinda the reason I bought a sub adult G. rosea, cause I knew someone would want to hold one of my t's, that and I find them to be a pretty t. Two of my t's are OW's, so it's kinda impossible of doing a "controlled handling.":laugh: Generally I just explain about the t's bite and paying me for my t if they kill it, and they will change their mind most of the time. If they agree to my terms that's where my rose hair comes into play.

jhalla16

Arachnosquire
i pick up my tarantula and let it walk from my hand to theirs. but it's gotta be someone i trust won't freak out because of it...

sick4x4

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Working at a Zoo, i have let fellow keepers hold a couple of my pulchras...most have never experienced it and are somewhat fascinated by them, just never had the courage to be next to them or ever want to hold them. For me it was important because it eliminates a lot of stigmas associated with them, as long as you ad-hear to a set of parameters IE close to the ground and my hand very close, i don't think its so bad..I don't allow them near my pokies but as ambassadors of the hobby, i don't think its at all bad to acclimate people to them. just my 2cents

JC

Arachnolort
Old Timer
Well, not many people I know qualify to hold a tarantula in the first place, but those that have handled my spiders, I make sure they are calm and low to the ground.

The case one such 'arachnophobe' that held my tarantula:

As I place an adult female A.versicolor on his hand, 4 seconds later.
Him: "Man, what if that thing jumps on my face?"
Me: "Did you kiss your mother goodbye before you left the house?"
Him: "<Starts turning red, with and smirk on his face and breathing hard">
Me: "Dude, stop laughing. Laughing is dangerous."
Him: "<Trying to hold in laughter. Turning blue at this point. A.versicolor is disturbed on his hand.>"
Me: "Ok, I think that's enough."

Needless to say, he won't handle one of mine anytime soon.

Kraine

Arachnosquire
I don't for the exact reason you said. i'm more worried about the T getting hurt than the person, haha. Although I had someone from craigslist come over to buy a T once and that dude opened my LPs cage and pinch-grabbed that thing (she's 8"+ !!!!) and was like "hey this is cool" - ROFL.

He was okay to hold my spiders.
Ahahaha. That's pretty awesome. Dunno if I'll have the courage to pinch-grab mine when it's bigger, even though it's just a pulchra.

Letting the T walk over a friend's hand seems pretty harmless. I like that idea. Perhaps I'll try it with some people I trust sometime. When Blueberry is more than 2" maybe. >_>

Mathayus

Arachnosquire
I do presentations at my highschool for the freshman and sophomores, and most of the time I dont have to worry about them wanting to hold any of my t's or scorps. But once in a while, I'll get someone who wants to hold one of them, and I only let them hold their hand out while I put my b. albo on it to sit for about 10 seconds. I don't let them near any of my others though. I've never had a problem with someone freaking out during one of my presentations.

arachnokid6

Arachnopeon
it depends i use my rose hair for handleing which i do very seldom i let my cousin and my friends sometimes handle her but not to often i make them sit on the floor and make them promise me that they wont through her or make her fall and if they do they will buy me a new one they do fine and i wait like 5 min and put her away till the next time i want to handle or something

Verneph

Arachnosquire
I don't let anyone because I don't handle them myself. That has not stopped people from asking, mind you. The way I see it: Why take a risk?

Lolita

Arachnoknight
These days i handle very rarely but their are a few people i would allow to handle them my boyfriend who used to own a T a while back and has never acted stupid with my t's and my dad who is smart about it but only a few of my T's i allow to be handled mostly my B smithi's cause my rose hairs are super bi polar haha. but i always sit the person down on the floor with catcher cups near by etc just in case